1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes, tires, wheels, or what is causing vibrations?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've read several "vibration" threads and none of them have really helped me diagnose what's going on with my 01. I've just recently started noticing vibration in the steering wheel, pedal, and seat, both while braking and while driving at highway speeds. Sometimes the vibration is so severe it feels like the truck is driving on rumble strips, and I can feel it in the whole cab. Seems to happen mostly above 60 mph and when braking (highway off ramps and such). I changed the front rotors and pads around this time last year, and the rear are still original, at least they haven't been changed in the 6 years I've owned the truck. I had the frame replaced oct 09, and the steering rack bearings were replaced at that time. Last year I had to replace my passenger side inner and outer tie rods but the drivers side suspension is all original.

Where do I start with troubleshooting this? I don't want to just start buying parts and replacing things without doing some diagnosing first.

2. Jul 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Well, the frontend is felt through the steering wheel and the back is felt through the seat. Since you are feeling it from both places at the sametime I would think to look at the driveshaft first.
    Did this start suddenly?

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Well, my vibration was from tires. As soon as I got new tires my vibration went away completely. My old tires had a ton of balancing weights on them, my new ones had about half as much. My tires were about 4 years old and had almost no tread on them, so that was kind of a dead give away. Yours may not be from tires, but it's a place to start.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    kingston73

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I forgot to say my tires are less than a year old, I got them back in Nov and they are michelin ltx ms2's. I guess they could possibly have lost a weight and are out of balance??

How do I go about checking the driveshaft?

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I doubt it's your tires then, but you never know. To check your driveshaft you can inspect it to see if the balancing weights have come off. Otherwise you might have to remove it and take to a driveshaft shop and have them test it. Might also want to check your carrier bearing for excessive play.

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I found a checklist on yotatech that I'm going to use to see if I can rule out anything, but some more specifics - the vibration is defintely the worst when getting off the highway and braking. It is not constant and doesn't seem to be at any specific speed.

Could an out of balance wheel cause these symptoms? I wish I'd paid closer attention back when I got my new tires, but I noticed today that one wheel doesn't have any weight on it at all, the other 3 have weights. Could a wheel weight falling off cause this?

7. Jul 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    If it vibrates when you apply the brakes from highway speed it's likely the front rotors......again.

Vibration from highway driving(no braking) is likely the tire balance.

You probably have both issues going from what you describe.

8. Jul 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I write down everything I do to my truck, dates and miles and all, and the one thing I must have forgotten to write down was when I replaced my pads and rotors. I'm thinking it was this time last year but don't know for sure anymore. I know they were relatively cheap rotors from advance auto, could they go bad in a single year? Maybe 20,000 miles give or take?

9. Jul 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    Casper the friendly Taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver
    Ya get what ya pay for

10. Jul 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Yep, guess I learned that the hard way. OK, seems pretty clear I've at least got to do a front brake job. I found a Powerslot brake kit that has rotors and pads for $150 from autoanything, or I found Hawk LTS pads and Brembo plain rotors for $170 from tirerack. Also found a slotted brake rotor set and posi-quiet ceramic pads from Wheelers for $180 total. Any other suggestions or favorites? Which would you buy?

11. Jul 25, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    I tried ordering Hawk LTS pads online but accidentally got sent ones for a 6 lug and don't fit my 5 lug. I ended up with Oreilly "Brakebest Ceramic" pads and they are surprisingly good. I can't say anything as far as longevity as I've had them for maybe 2 weeks but they have a lifetime warranty so I think if they wear out I can exchange them. They feel about the same as what was on the truck before (which I can't determine because they were on the truck when I bought it) and stop adequately.

12. Jul 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    beedoola

beedoola Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I've experienced something similar, I'll have to check it out tomorrow to see if it is coming from the rear or just the front - experiencing vibration when breaking on the freeway - like on an off ramp.

I have 2wd Taco, could that possibly make an difference or is it probably a rotor issue?

To Top