1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by papabear050, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    papabear050

papabear050 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Strange thing happened just now and was wonderingif you guys ever experienced this.

I was exiting the freeway and coming around a curve to a red light, will it was green and I was going slightly fast, so I threw it into neutral and began braking in the corner... (I know know... bad...)

BUT I applied my brakes and the vehicle slowed down, then the brake pedal clicked 3 times and moved about .5-1" further into it's travel... down toward the floor boards...

I've noticed this once before, I cannot recreate it at will, and I would like to know if this is normal... I know ABS pulsates when stepped on hard, but this was like a click, click, click sensation. Weird?

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Mine does that when I go over cattle guards... I believe that it is ABS kicking in, which sometimes is a hazard, but to each his own. You may have some air in your lines that could be causing that issue... It will cause your brake pedal to give way.

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    It sounds like ABS kicking in.

Is your truck equipped with VSC?

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    The problem described is inconsistent, and air in the brake line(s) would most likely give the pedal a funny feeling every time. Although it can never hurt to bleed some fluid... just make sure you top off the reservoir. When this happened once before, what was the situation?

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    papabear050

papabear050 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    I am trying to remember, I believe I was braking in a turn as well, but cannot recall precisely. I think it could be a characteristic of a floating caliber and the engangement of the pads with the wheel turned. I almost felt like the pads clicked into place. I also suspected it was the ABS, so I gunned it to the next light and slammed on the brakes.... no skidding, stopped on a dime, and no pulsating whatsoever... I felt some g force though from braking so hard...

No VSC.. I have the Sport TRD. I'm not too worried about stuck acceleration, more worried about no brakes..... haha

6. Apr 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Well other than going through the whole brake system and inspecting everything, you could take it to a dealer or reputable diagnostic shop and make sure the abs is functioning properly. At least you still have brakes, it could always be worse! Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top