1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Braking distances?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rucas, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Rucas

Rucas [OP] 1st gen > 2nd gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    sparkles, fairys, and happy things.
    So this weekend I was driving around with a 5 people in the double cab, and noticed that the brakes werent all so good.

On the way down a pretty steep hill I started slowing down and as we got closer to the stop sign we werent stopping fast enough so i kept pressing harder untill my foot wouldnt go any further, and we ended up stopping finally but half way over the stop line.

Does anyone know roughly what a good braking distance for a DC LB is?

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    Have you had your brakes ckecked, how many miles on them? Sorry not sure on the distance in feet on brakes.

3. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX/ Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5
    2007: Avid sliders, 30% front tint, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, blisten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scanguage, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload
    Well with 5 people you're adding 600+ pounds to the weight of the truck. Mixing that with the already squishy breaks, the stopping distance is going to be quite a bit longer. I notice the same thing when I load my truck up with people and lots of luggage. I'm not sure the answer to your question- you just have to experiment around and see what a good distance is.

4. Dec 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    Rucas

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    well the truck only has 28000 miles, i didnt think they were that bad. it just caught me off guard. I might get them checked out.

Im going to see if i can do a few 60 to 0 tests and measure the distance and see if it seems too long.

5. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    Rucas

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    what other brake kits are out there that are good??

6. Dec 30, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Its just the feel of the brakes imo. If you brake slowly it takes alot more pressure, but if you brake quickly it will slam. There was a head2head video some mag made I watched and the actual braking distance was best in class by a decent margin.

7. Dec 31, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Some Hawk or EBC pads with some better fluid and maybe some stainless steels lines.

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    More weight = longer braking distance, this has been my experience with all the trucks I've owned plus you were going down a steep hill.

9. Dec 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    Rucas

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    ya i know that, but do you think theres a problem if i had my foot all the way down and they wouldnt lock up or anything?

I feel like it should have, since its a truck and is designed to haul stuff the brakes should be properly suited to handel the weight and braking that i was doing it should...right?

10. Dec 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It should handle braking and weight just fine- That doesn't mean that you can stop in the same distance with the same brake pedal force as you would unloaded. Nor does it mean your brakes should lock up. ABS didn't kick in??

A smart man once said-"A body in motion tends to stay in motion." And the more body there is...The more tendancy to stay in motion.

11. Dec 31, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Rucas

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    nope ABS didnt kick in.

12. Dec 31, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off Road 4x4 Barcelona Red
    You know, it's probably silly to even bring up but have you checked your brake fluid level lately?

13. Dec 31, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Rucas

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    i probablly should...

To Top