1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new & building a ladder rack. Advice?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tac243, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    rachunter

rachunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    XM Radio,Access Lorado Tonneau, Ventshades, Tinted Windows, Destination A/T's , Moto Metal wheels and lots of Liquid Glass
    Here is a very simple rack that I made for a 2001 Tacoma and then changed the mounting a little so it will work with my 2008.

I use the rear d-ring bolts to secure the rear of the rack and turnbuckles on the front. Its very easy to remove and mount and it serves my purpose very well.

2005_0508misc7050062_913b05dbda2f18ad4714246b960ef2d41fc7860d.jpg

2005_0508misc7050063_6889ee6f37bfea43a8c4da6bba0510ef8e8e1b63.jpg

frobuster and holokai like this.
  2. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Subscribed :popcorn:

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    Tac243

Tac243 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Here’s a photo of the new bedrail mounted to the truck.

[​IMG]

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    That's a fantastic design. Nice work and attention to detail!

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Tac , nice work my friend .

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    Tac243

Tac243 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Thanks guys.

I think I’m going to start making the upper rack tomorrow. It will be very similar to my old design from the first post. It’s an over the cab rack with the ability to fully support 10’ long material. It will also have a middle horizontal bar just behind the cab to protect the roof and allow me to hold material 6’ or longer up top (like where a headache style bar goes).

For anyone thinking about building an over the cab ladder rack like this, there are two design considerations that really make the rack more user friendly. First, the back horizontal bar should be removable for ease of loading big items. And the other big consideration is reducing wind noise & drag. If you have any horizontal bars over the cab they make an awful racket. Some guys try to raise the rack up. But then you have a really tall rack and you can’t fit the truck in a garage. And your center of gravity gets frightfully high if you have a big load up there (it also looks terrible in my opinion).

So the trick is to use round tubing for your horizontals to reduce drag, and have the front bar extend 6” past the top of the windshield. This way there is no air turbulence over the roof of the cab.

In my experience there are two types of rack noises. The high pitched whistles come from wind rushing past holes, divots and crevices in the rack. So try to avoid open tube ends or exposed holes. Round tubing for the entire rack works really well, but I find it’s a little harder to secure the mostly rectangular material I transport.

The other type of wind noise tends to be a lower pitched hum or rumble. This is from turbulent air passing over the sheet metal body panels of the truck causing them to vibrate. It will typically start softer at lower speeds and increase in volume as your speed increases. Sometimes it can be the rack itself vibrating if there is a lot of wind drag over square profiles. The rack rumble typically only happens when you reach a certain speed. It tends to get softer when you speed up or slow down. It seems to occur when the wind vibrations meet the resonating frequency of the rack.

Noisy racks can drive you nuts.

Nice setup Rachunter. It looks like you have a knack for metalwork.

OZ, Do you think I should bother with the bed mounting plates? I think I might reassess the floor mount situation when I have the upper rack in place. If I recall, your 1/4" plate bed rim caps only tie into the bedrail system. How solid does it feel when there’s a load up there and you hit a bump?

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Tac ,

my overhead set up is still on the drawing board , I just have the headache rack directly behind the cab at the moment so not much help on your question . Your side rail setup is awesome , I'm going to be going with aluminium for my cap rails , I think the worry about attaching everything down to the bed frame is valid to an extent but you have to ask yourself how much weight do you really intend to carry up there ? My old steel rack on my ranger held a ton of material but way more than I would ever put on this truck , you know how it is when your are top heavy and overloaded you feel like a boat bobbing around in the waves .

I think that if you are only realistically going to be carrying 300-400 lbs up there , and the rack is more for ease of carrying longer timbers , ladders etc , then your current caps will do the job as is , I am not completely following the way you have the cab end of the caps secured , I will go back through the thread in a bit , but even secured into the rail system , all of the load is straight down and your rails do a great job of dispersing the load over the entire side of the bed .

Your desciptions of the wind noise brought back a few memories , my poor old ranger actually had a sort of crease in the paint directly under the front horizontal crossmember from the turbulent air , and it definitely howled in the cab at times , so your point about getting ahead of the windshield is a good one and I agree that the round tubing is much better for wind noise . My dilemma now is that I am considering getting a Leer XQ cap , and I might make my rack so that the cap can be on at the same time as the rack , which means making a rail cap that goes around the front as well as the sides to create a level area for the canopy and extend the rail cap out and down a bit to accept tubing upright members . I seem to remember another member truck pic with a similar set up . I will see if I can find it and get it in here so you know what I am talking about .

One last thought , my old steel rack served me on my old truck for 14 years ! , but in that time I overloaded it constantly . What i did discover by that though is that , unlike the front (cab end ) set of uprights , the rears really have no lateral restraint at the bottom to combat a spreading motion of the back of the box when the rack is loaded . When you have a heavy ( or too heavy ) load up top and you hit some bumps , the load forces down and out on the rear uprights with only the tailgate latches to keep the box sides from spreading . I managed to eventually break the box and bed of my old truck in this manner , just like folding a piece of metal back and forth , eventually it can't handle it anymore . Also not the intended use for the tailgate . I would suggest you make an allowance for some type of detachable crossing bar to go from rear post to post when you intend to put the heavy stuff up top , you might be suprised to see how tight it gets when you add some weight on the rack . Just a thought ,

Keep up the good work Tac ,

OZ

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Tac , this is similar to what I would be doing as an attachment for my post to rail connection so the Leer cap could be on the truck at the same time as the rack .

OZ

frobuster likes this.
  9. Jan 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    x2

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    Crooked Beat

Crooked Beat Well-Known Member

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    I have the same situation: cap and ladder rack. I will send you the same photo package.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Tac243

Tac243 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    That’s a really good idea to add a cross bar at the bottom of the back to prevent the tail from spreading. But now it means one more thing I need to fabricate. I would like to have it very easily removable and stow securely somewhere out of the way.

I think I have a few ideas already on how to do it.

Thanks for that suggestion. It’s definitely something that makes a ton of sense that I would have missed.

OZ,

Crooked Beat sent me a bunch of photos of his rack over cap setup. Here’s a link that shows you the basics of what he had made as bedrails.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29760

and here’s a photo he sent me of the interior mounting solution.

[​IMG]

If you have the ability to work with metal I can think of a few ways to improve on CB’s design so you can have a longer inner horizontal flange to hold down the cap, and a second inner vertical flange to receive hardware from the factory bedrails.

CB,

I hope you don’t mind me posting some of your photos. You seem to be understandably upload challenged on this forum. But they’re very helpful shots.

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    Upload all the photos you want!. For some reason my mac does not like the forum software for uploading.

My solution to the clamps was to use a few unistrut pieces carefully ground down. If you look at the geometry of the 3/8" bolt, it "kicks" the clamp outward to hold the cap down. They have worked great for me. I have tried to strike a balance between weight and utility. The cap manufacturer usually only uses two clamps per side. I used four each side. My complete rack system is just under 160 pounds.

CB

14. Jan 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR

15. Jan 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    hwork50

hwork50 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Clemente
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 AC
    DTRL, Skid Plate, Bed Extender, ipod hook up in glove bo, bed mat, rubber mats, Garmin GPS, 2.5"Toyotec lift with 5100 shocks and Eibach springs.
    Subscribed.

Anyone know of a rack that just goes over the bed? I want the rounded ends to be on both side of the rack. I saw one the other day and it was really cool.

Brent

16. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  17. Jan 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    Crooked Beat

Member:
    GTA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB SR
    I send you a few emails of photos

18. Jan 9, 2010 at 2:18 AM
    Tac243

Tac243 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Starting to look like something

[​IMG]

19. Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Tac ,

hardcore !

Still not following how the cab side is attached , can you enlighten me . CB sent me his pic collection , awesome resource . I was thinking about the rear spreader brace and wondered if you could make it up so that it could be stored attached post to post at the cab end and then lifted off to be dropped in at the back when needed . Could be a good way to keep it secured but handy .

Looking good ,

OZ

20. Jan 9, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost

Products Discussed in

To Top