1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new tacoma.. worried something wrong..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joe2010, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    oldtimertoyota

oldtimertoyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2009 4X4 Double Cab-1986 2wd Pickup Orig own
    What about the 2009?

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I know exactly what you mean, and while I don't totally disagree with the TSB that everyone has mentioned so far, I think part of it is characteristic of the way the truck drives. I came from an Acura Integra 5 speed that had a really sensitive gas pedal and took off pretty quickly in first gear. When I test drove the Tacomas I noticed that they seemed to take a little more juice to get rolling. I think the hard shift is definitely the TSB, but the throttle response off the line, as well as the amount of throttle necessary to make the truck accelerate, I think are characteristics of the vehicle. I have about 3400 miles on the truck now, and I don't notice that it feels "heavy" at all anymore. That was my initial impression though. I do notice the hard shifts and odd lag between the 1-2-1 shift during low speed corners though, so I'm planning on taking it in for that.

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Glad i saw this. I have a 2010 and I kinda of sort of feel this. not as bad as some others have posted. But i do feel some lag sometimes. I've had my truck about 2 1/2 weeks and maybe have only felt it about 4 or 5 times.

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    fullback

fullback Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD short bed
    Joe 2010 , this is not normal and you should not get used to it , My 2009 taco i bought back in Aug 2009 had the same issue , with the help of some good people on this site , I found out the TSB( Toyota service Bulliten) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...thing-wrong-t-sb-0393-09-transmission-tsb.pdf the dealer who could not see any problem with the Trans on 3 initial visits , once i gage the dealer the TSB he reprogramed the ECU and trani became smooth like a normal car. no hesitation , no leurking , so take it to the dealer and tell him to check the computer updated TSB , the link above should help if not reach out to me and i find it for you , its in this site someplace. good luck let us know how you did.

5. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Does the TSB change the throttle position necessary to get the truck moving from a stop? I'm going to have it done, and was just wondering.

6. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    No prob here sounds like e brake is stuck

7. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:08 AM
    srs

srs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Side bar steps Undercover bed cover Class III receiver
    I wonder if it 's not similiar to the problem I was having in my '09 Prerunner. When slowing down to make a turn, it would lag, not shift down very promptly. If you pressed the accelerator, it would rev as if in neutral before catching in a lower gear. I just went this week and got the TSB-0373-09 done at the dealer. Learned about in in this forum.

It 'enhances shifting performance and smoothness below 20 mph during the 2-1 downshift...'. Haven't driven it enough yet to see if it's better. Can advise later..

8. Feb 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    Devildoc

Devildoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lincoln, California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue off road
    Running board, K&N air filter, Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 on ProComp 7089(285/70/17), 3" front lift and 1.5" AAl rear, all with bilstein 5100's with Eibach spring, 1/2 spacer in driver side and 1/4 spacer on the passenger, Wicked Flow exhaust, Debadge, satoshi raptor grille (HomerTaco)
    got mine fix by the dealer today and everything seem to be in place. I can feel the difference already. Service people pretended that they did not know anything about it. I play along and drove the car with their service mechanic. The mechanic know exactly what was wrong with it. He said that they have this same problem with alot of the toyota cars. He open up as soon as I showed a copy of the TSB. No question ask as soon as they saw the TSB.

9. Feb 4, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    Take it in. My 2010 taco rolled 1000 miles yesterday and I have NEVER experienced anything like this.

10. Feb 5, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    fullback

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD short bed
    are you sure you are not in 4WD??? that could cause it.

11. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    MarshallCarr2010

MarshallCarr2010 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    Running Boards, Tonneau Cover
    Last fall I purchased a 2010 V6 Auto, TRD sport. I have not noticed a lag on start but my truck seems to downshift too low, (completly down to 1st gear) at speeds under 10- 12 mph. while making a turn or slowing down for traffic. Engine revs up due to the low downshift and than immediatly upshifts sometimes two gears. I was told by service that this is normal and that the truck will learn my driving habits. Truck had 500miles on it when I addressed this issue with service. I now have 3800mi on it and it is the same. I have a service call scheduled and I am also going to test drive another tacome to verify if this is nomal as I was told. This is my 4th Tacoma and I have loved every one and I do Love this Truck also. As a note, I have never had a serious problem with any of the prior three and have logged a total of 450K mi on them. I must also note there was nothing about them that I needed to "Get Used To" as suggested in other posts. I am not getting used to this performance characteristic nor do I think I am willing to @ $30k spent.
    I have a copy of the TSD, (Thanks Rikster for the TIP) and will have it in hand for the service appointment.
    Has any one had negative results after application of the TSD?
    Thanks for all the info here and I'll keep everyone posted on the results of my service scheduled for 2/9.

12. Feb 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Nope. 2wd. I'm almost 99.9999999% certain that the throttle by wire system doesn't apply a linear curve to the accelerator. i.e., the throttle opens less for a given amount of pedal travel at the beginning of the stroke than at the end. This makes perfect sense, and there are lots of cars that this is the case. Some like the BMW M3 CSL even have user selectable throttle curves for street / track / etc. If you come from a car that has a cable straight to the throttle body, and it's a pretty light weight car, then you're accustomed to having to press the accelerator a very slight amount to get the car to move. If you then move to a large 4 door truck that weighs a good bit more, and has a throttle by wire that applies an exponential curve to the throttle, then you've got to press the accelerator more than you're accustomed to, thereby making the truck feel "heavy." There's nothing wrong with the truck, it's just the way the system works. It actually makes things wayyyyy easier to drive in 4 low because you get a much finer throttle control at low speeds with such a system. After a few months you get used to the fact that you have to press the accelerator a little more to get the same power and it no longer feels "heavy."

This is all speculative on my part, and obviously straight cable systems can apply a non-linear throttle curve depending on the shape of the cam that the cable is attached to on the throttle body, but you get my gist.

I've still got the TSB problem of weird 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-1-2-2-2-1-2-1-2-1 shifting BS below 15 mph, but I don't think that the above condition is related. As always, I could be wrong. That's just my observation.

13. Feb 5, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    fullback

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD short bed
    well mylast truck was a4cyl. toyota 1993 2wd sold it for 850 with 340000 miles on it , this 4 speed manual did the same thing you described the gas pedal kind of stuck so i had to press hard on it to engage the throttle , any way the dode i refered to befor only corrrects the atransmissions rough down shifting that is issue i had with my Tacoma 09 4wd .

14. Feb 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    DBZ 2010

DBZ 2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kahului, Maui
    Vehicle:
    2010 Wht Dbl Cab TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Gaylord TL Series Tonneau, 3 TSB's (Trans Re-flash, Rear Leaf Springs, Intermediate Steering Shaft), 5100 Bilsteins x 4 set at 1.75, Silver TRD FJ 16 inch Wheels, Wet Okoles
    Get the trans tsb done, and while your at it also mention about the harsh ride from the rear. There's a rear leaf spring tsb out for that too. I'm getting mine done next week.

15. Feb 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    YotaRicky2010

YotaRicky2010 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Goodyear, AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Gregg - Great info on that TSB. Thank you! I'll be at the dealer with it in hand. My 2006 Offroad (same truck) shifted great for anyone that isn't convinced yet that this is NOT normal.

SRS - Mine does the same thing and feels like it's lagging in nuetral between 1st and 2nd on re-acceleration.

16. Feb 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    fullback

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD short bed
    the TSB for the Trans. is right on it took the dealer 20 minuts to reprogramm mine and it was shifting great after that i had the same problem you described. ECU needs to be reprogrammed.

17. Feb 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I have it on my 07. It's never bothered me enough to bring it up when I take my truck in for service though. It sounds like it's worse for some than others.

18. Feb 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Just called the dealer's service dept here(Shelor Motor Mile Toyota) and scheduled mine for Monday the 15th. Dude said he didn't recall having any other requests for this service...I gave him the TSB #...he put me on hold for a minute then set up the time and date...fortunately he didn't question the request, perhaps they know of the problem already. May also request the leaf spring service done at a later date...thanks mucho to those who keep an eye out for us "older" folks!:p

*Marshall2010> I'm ESP41 on here; shoulda been XSB41, but I botched my name lettering when I first came on here, no Geritol that day. Glad you found the site, great knowledgable peeps willing to help in every way...

19. Feb 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    I think you still need to break it in, give it until 2000k and see if its still a problem.

20. Feb 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    *Normbal, check the search under "TSB" I think; saw a post a few days ago...no real problem, had something to do w/ weight in the rear of the truck, I think they'll place a 4th spring in there if you want, some pros and cons mentioned as to whether it was needed depending on your usage...
    *I'm close to the 2,000, figured I'd get it done Monday since it's a holiday...

***Check page 2 near the bottom; Gregg posted the TSB...

Products Discussed in

To Top