1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new truck with issues.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by longbow, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Well I love my truck, never had serous issues. So I am not slamming them.
    I understand there may be issues that can't be seen, vibe's, rattle's, little noises etc.
    My main point was the body, now on mine no problems at all. But if you can phyically walk around a brand new truck on the dealers lot and see an issue, well someone missed something.
    But, then again one persons issues may not be someones else's. Just like mod's, what I like someone else may not. I personally will stand behind my truck, and will tell others to get one.
    If I am going to drop that kind of money, you can bet I will go over it before picking it up, if things come up after I take it home, then I will take it to the dealer and have it addressed.

2. Feb 27, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    stephbm6

stephbm6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Jordan, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Double Cab
    I never had any problems with my truck, just a little rattle here and there. All vehicles have rattles here and there.

3. Feb 27, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I looked my '09 AC over very carefully when I bought it and did not find any issues. Since having it for 5 months and driving over 11,000 miles I am still very happy with the quality of the vehicle.

The only issue I had was that the drivers door had to be shut very firmly due to a minor alignment issue with the door. I had it adjusted at a friendly body shop and it has been fine since then.

Some of the quality issues I have seen in this thread appear to be items that should be caught by the dealer's personnel when they are getting the vehicle ready for sale. If the dealership doesn't take the necessary care it shows.

The only complaints I have with my truck is the accute lack of sensitivity in the radio section and the poor quality of the speakers installed by Toyota. This is common with all manufacturers and I have installed aftermarket audio equipment in most of the vehciles I have purchased.

4. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:05 AM
    LDrider

LDrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 2.7 Access Cab 4x4 (sold to Carvana!)
    That statement should be required reading for all dealer personnel. I totally agree. In addition, all service professionals should be forbidden to utter these six words:

They all to that, its normal

5. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    Well look at how many TSB's there are. Yes they are slipping. AND if they have TSB for 2005 - 2006, you would think they would fix the prob in the later Gens... BUT my 08 has the squeaky clutch and winshield rattle.

6. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    My 2009 d/c had the same issue with the bumber, I had them correct it when I took it in for the 4.0 ticking issue. I still have the ticking by the way.

7. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    I for one have had only one issue with my truck the felt came off the blend door and thus the heat would not work. The dealership had the part overnighted and had my truck back to me in 3 days and despite having the dash completely out of the truck I have had no dash rattles. I have owned 4 Toyota Trucks and my last one had 327,000 on it before the buyback.

8. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Sandfire

Sandfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest midwest
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC 4x4 silver
    OME 885 springs with OME N140s shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, TSB AAL, OME N182's, MT BAHA ATZ 4ribs.
    I have had every almost every make of truck made except for Nissan. My tacoma is probably the tightest most rattle free truck I have had. I am still a huge chevy fan and have had everything from a tahoe to a half ton Z 71 to 2500 with a duramax. Most of the chevys had problems with wind noise and rattles but the drivetrains were among the best. As a new tacoma owner I am little depressed to hear all these problems, but just glad I havn't noticed anything with mine, so far I love it! Oh, except for the seat, I am moderately tall and get really uncomfortable with any extended drive.

9. Feb 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I bought a 2004 Silverado brand new and drove it for 3 years and 32,000 miles. In that time I needed 4 speedometers, 1 radio, a new seat belt, a right front axle seal, a water pump, a battery and the transmission was starting to shift bad. So far the only problem I've had with my Tacoma is the factory forgot to plug in the right mirror. I fixed it myself, but the dealer should have caught that before i bought it. Anyway, my point is no truck is perfect, but I'll stick with Tacomas for now.

10. Feb 27, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Bed was aligned OK on my 05 but the bumper needed to be put back straighter. Probably off from throwing on the hitch & didn't care. I just loosed the bolts & made it go where it lined up with the bed correctly. No biggy, just the usual don't give a fuck about takin any pride in anything done syndrom that rules the day now whenever some one else works on your shit.

11. Feb 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers
    This is my 4th Toyota truck (87, 88 and a 91) and I love the ride/engine and features of this truck more than any I have owned. However, I am sorely dissapointed in the cheap interior and thats about it. Squeeks and rattles are annoying......but I just put 3500 worth of stereo in the truck so couldn't here them anymore:D

12. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i hate to be the one to bring it up...but the Tacomas used to be made in Japan, out of Japanese parts. now we have US auto workers making them with parts from all over the place...mostly US. coincidence...?

13. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    go back and look at my 7300 miles post..and there try to replace my truck and im gonna get F%$%ed. im just gonna have to have them buy it back..

14. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    TRD - CAI Sport Hood Sport Grille Sport Headlights OEM LED Tails Factory Roof Rack
    Ironically the part that failed on my truck.. The blend door seal was in fact made by DELPHI an American company, so I would say no
    coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

15. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char

For what its worth, i know people that work at Delphia and they say the Toyota reps are a pain in the ass because they are always on their case about improving quality control and standards.

At least it sounds like they are pushing more than most others if they single the Toyota reps out for this and no one else.

16. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    its a truck, things are gonna vibrate

17. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I don't own a new Tacoma(2nd gen).....I've never even been in one, but from what I read, I would agree that QC is possibly slipping a bit. I still believe the Tacoma is in a class above the rest. I also don't think a rattle is a valid reason to trash talk a,{ahem}, truck. Take a look around. Tacomas are more popular than ever. They're everywhere. More trucks = more problems...it's simple math.

18. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM
    BAT24

BAT24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    TRD Rugged Trail
    I am glad Toyota pushes for better quality with Delphi, I was only stating the part that failed was an American made part on my truck not slamming Toyota for it. I have owner 4 Toyota Trucks and they have all had minor issues but then again what car doesnt? I still wouldnt trade my Tacoma for any other small/midsize truck out there eiether.

19. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    mrkent

mrkent Member

Member:
    Ponoka, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD doublecab
    AFE intake, TRD exhaust, leveling kit, BFGoodrich A/T KO tires, DVD stereow/kicker subs, TRD skid plate, black billet grille
    There are so many ways that these trucks could be worse. I have worked on all types of vehicles, and for the past 7 years, sold parts for them. If these squeaks, rattles, and vibrations are the worst thing and the cause of these MAJOR headaches, try driving anything by Ford GM or Dodge. For full size GM, the ball joints (both upper and lower), fuel pumps, and rear brakes should have zippers on them instead of bolts, because up here in Alberta, they are being replaced as often as every 20,000km (12,500mi), except the fuel pumps, they usually las 50,000km (31,000mi). After 140,000 most transmissions are toast, and the trucks are worth nothing. Dodges shake their doors apart, and the track bars wear so fast you may as well keep one in the back seat. Fords like to eat front brakes, and blow spark plugs out of the heads for no good reason. Oil and gas companies are jumping to Tundras at a record pace, purely because they last longer, cost less to operate, and are actually worth something when they are taken out of service.

If we are comparing apples to apples, lets look at the Ranger, Dakota, and Canyon/Colorado. I put 100,000 km (62,000mi) on a Dakota in a year, and the cruise control and abs never worked after 70,000 kms. The rack and three wheel bearings and associated parts cost a cool 4000, only 8000km after warranty was up. Rangers are probably the toughest of the three, but if you want to talk about CHEAP interiors, check one of these out. And the Colorado/Canyon twins...fuel injector issues, head gasket issues, fuel pump issues, wiring harness issues, cracking head issues...need I say more?

I agree that the quality control has slipped a bit, but like said earlier, more trucks mean more potential for problems. It's purely statistics. Added to that, I'll take a rattling glove box or a ticking engine that runs over one that doesn't. My two cents...

20. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    On mine, the dealer said they actually pulled the bottom of the bed out. There is a couple of screws on the bottom of the panel, loosen them up and line it with he bumper, looks good now.

Products Discussed in

To Top