1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand New Truck with Paint Bubbling/Cracking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Palmetto Pete, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 19, 2009 at 12:47 AM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    Since all of the vehicles are sent over here to us on a boat who knows what dripped on the truck as it came across the Pacific . . .

2. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.

Tacoma's are made in CA and soon to be transferred and made in Texas, because CA is NOT business friendly. I can't wait for CA to go bankrupt. :laugh:

3. Nov 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    How are you going to get a made in CA tacoma to Hawaii then :confused:

4. Nov 19, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    Those are shipped in a a container I assume?

5. Nov 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Palmetto Pete

Palmetto Pete [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    In the Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2012 SSM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    3M Paint Pro Film, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Foglight Anytime Mod, 8000k HIDs, BFG AT/KOs (265/70/17), Debadged, Ultra-Gauge, Leer 100XR
    As far as I know they are shipped in containers. When I shipped my Camry over here from South Carolina they sent it by rail across the country to San Diego. Then it went into a container and onto a boat to Hawaii. I am sure it is the same process for the delivery of new vehicles.

6. Nov 19, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    I would say that is the same process for most manufactures.

7. Nov 19, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 F150 Crew 4x4
    Without seeing the paint in person it's hard to say, but I'm an auto adjuster, and I can tell you that if there are cracks in the paint, there is almost always bondo underneath! Maybe it was hailed on and there was a spot on the roof they couldn't PDR.

8. Nov 20, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    PacoTheTacoMan

PacoTheTacoMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Weathertechs, personally fabricated tailgate lock, tint, extra D rings, Exactfit seatcovers, re-enforcing the tailgate and adding a leaf next week.
    Out of curiosity, I contacted a local body shop about this. I was told that, yes, in theory, that bird droppings could damage a finish in 48 hours or less. To a slight degree. It was dependant on the quality of finish and other variables, of course. Also, they told me that it was about as likley as hitting the lotto, and would take far more time than 48 hours ALMOST 100% of the time. So yes, in theory, this could be the case. And a rogue elephant could happen along and sit on your car. Neither are very likely. Also, the guy I talked to has been in business around here for about 35 years. I showed him the OP's picks, and he said it looked like improper paint adhesion, but he would really need to see it in person. TIFWIW.

9. Nov 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    I am glad you got some more info. However, this guy fixes paint once it is at the point where you can't repair it with detailing anymore. By all means you can leave all the bird poop on your vehicle you want. I for one who has detailed enough cars and seen 1st hand what it can do will take the precautionary measure and rinse/wash or quick detail off that area with a microfiber towel. My paint is almost 5 yrs. old and it looks flawless like it came off the showroom. ;)

10. Nov 20, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    yea a friend has a corola and a bird droped a bomb on his car it was on there for three days and it looked like acid was droped on his paint all the way threw the paint to the metal.

11. Nov 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    PacoTheTacoMan

PacoTheTacoMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Weathertechs, personally fabricated tailgate lock, tint, extra D rings, Exactfit seatcovers, re-enforcing the tailgate and adding a leaf next week.
    Whatever. This guy does fix things once it's bad enough to need fixing. But in order to do this, he probably knows a little more than some kid with a microfiber towel and Turtle Wax typing on a computer. I would say he knows a little more than you do about modern clear coats and paints. If he tells me that it would normally take MUCH longer than 48 hours for bird droppings to eat through the finish on a car, I think I will take his word for it. Again, though, I said you were correct in your assertion that it could eat through in 48 hours or less. But, also, it is highly unlikely. I will also say that I am almost 40 years old, and have owned numerous vehicles. I have also asked around about this. Nobody I have talked to has seen this first hand. Nobody at the body shop had, either. They were willing to say it was possible, but not probable. They said that it would be the exception, and definately not the rule. Maybe this is common where you live. Maybe the birds drink acetone out there. But in my neck of the woods, this would be exceedingly rare. Now, that's all I will say about this one. If you want to nerd fight some more, you will have to find another partner. ;)

12. Nov 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    dktaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Some kid with a microfiber...LOL! You don't know my age and what research and experience I have had with detailing. Nice of you to make an ASSsumption bud! :rolleyes: And I can care less how long this guy has been doing paint work and your age. Doesn't mean squawk. I have seen first hand and worked on vehicles that had damage from bird poop. And yes maybe the birds drink acetone out here, I do live in Southern, CA. Like I said you can do what you want on your vehicles and I will do what I want on mine. I am merely giving the facts on what I have worked with first hand. Continue if you wish! :rolleyes:

13. Nov 23, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i still say brake fluid!

Products Discussed in

To Top