1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Break Free CLP

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by JML50, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    JML50

JML50 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So i've been looking to get another kind of cleaning solvent for my glock and came across some Winchester Break Free CLP at wal-mart. I am getting tired of soaking patches and wiping everything down with q-tips and was looking to try an aerosol. Anyone ever used this stuff? I googled it and seems that people like it alot. I have tried their lube and it seems to work well but never their solvent/lube/protectant in one. Is it safe to use on polymer frames such as my glock? Thanks

2. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.
    I have had good luck with gunslick products. I haven't used Break Free.

3. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    (Sorry for the long post)

Breakfree is great stuff when used where it should be. I don't think it's a replacement for a proper cleaning job. Here's what I do.

Buy a can of Butches gun scrubber. This stuff is like brake cleaner for guns. It will not harm your plastic, rubber, or camo finishes. Run a patch of carbon/lead cleaner like Hoppes #9 or equivalent through the barrel. Then dip your brass bore brush in the cleaner and run it all the way through a few times. Don't forget to use a bore cleaning guide so you don't bugger up the breach. Don't forget to clean the end of the barrel with a brass brush to keep the gun accurate. Run 2-3 clean patches through. Next every once in awhile you need a copper cleaner like Sweets. Do the same for that except use a nylon bore brush. The copper cleaner will destroy your brass brush because brass has copper in it.

After this hose everything down and through the barrel with the Gun Scrubber. You will notice that running a clean patch will come out pretty clean and you didn't need to run a billion patches through to get rid of the cleaner. I know some don't recommend it but I put a drop of oil on a patch and run it through followed by a clean patch.

On semi-autos I hit the slide and bolt with a little Breakfree AFTER the cleaning then use a little compressed air to get rid of the excess. Breakfree does wonders in the field on a Ruger 10/22 that can jam after a few hundred rounds. I also use it religiously on my AR15 and 1911 after a cleaning. I don't use it on revolvers since they really can run pretty "dry".

I find the Breakfree works better in some situations then WD40. It's both cleaner and lubricator. Try it on motor bearings when they are worn and you'll find they can get a new life for awhile. I think it was originally designed to be used in the field when the troops couldn't do a proper cleaning job on their M4s and M16s but needed it to work.

4. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    when I was in the service that all we used. It works great but I like Hoppes No. 9, Rem oil, and best of all Mil-tec.

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I use BF CLP on all my firearms and then some. I must have 5 or 6 cans of it in my garage and 1 in my truck.

6. Apr 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    - philo
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Gray Tacoma TRD
    Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    i've been using the break free clp for at least 15 years

when i wrap up shooting, i give the gun(s) a shot of powder blast, and follow with the clp, then back into the case (or silicone treated gunny sack)

when i get home, hoppes #9, and chase it with the clp

then back into the sack, and into the safe

7. Apr 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM
    SigSense

SigSense Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    For quite some time I've switched to using Mobil 1 for a lube on my weapons. I have plenty of it in the garage.

8. Apr 9, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I have used Breakfree CLP for years. I have never seen it with the Winchester name on the can, though. I have not bought any in awhile since I have more than enough on hand.

9. Apr 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    kiddwvman

kiddwvman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leon
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 4 banger
    weathertec floor liner,tinted windows,bilstein 5100 front .85,5100'S rear,window vents,K@N air filter
    i have used breakfree CLP for years i think its good

10. Apr 11, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    JML50

JML50 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just got done using it and i'll say it's not bad for a quick clean. I just sprayed it on, let it sit for about 5 mins and gave it a wipe and most of the residue and grime came off. The bottle says you can let it sit for 24 hrs. but i didnt. If i did im sure it would have gotten it all. I still had to use another cleaning solvent to really get it super clean but it's not bad stuff. For $4 a can i would definitly recommend it especially if you're at the range for a long period of time. Would be good to spray the gun and keep shooting.

11. Apr 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I primarily use everything Hoppes, but I might give this stuff a try.

12. Apr 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I still use Hoppes oil to lube all of my contact points but I use the CLP for everything else. :)

13. May 19, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    ValleyBlacksmith

ValleyBlacksmith Member

Member:
    New York Finger Lakes
    Vehicle:
    2WD Auto 4 banger
    When I was in the Marines CLP was the ONLY authorized product to use, no exceptions.
    That was the theory anyway. In practice everyone quickly learned to bootleg some other substance in the issued CLP bottles. Zippo was popular as was Coleman camp stove fuel (white gas) or just plain old unleaded gasoline. Just don't get caught. CLP works but in military weapons such as M16A2's, M60's and Colt 1911's the carbon builds up quick & thick and it takes a LOT of elbow grease and time with CLP alone. I mainly used Zippo and sometimes even JP5 to cut the heavy stuff and then follow up with CLP to get rid of the bootleg residues and leave a light coat.
    Outside of the military I have used Hoppes No.9 for thirty years, good stuff.

14. May 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    That winchester clp smell bad and is not as good as breakfree clp and they are about the same price. I ended up throwing my winchester clp away

15. May 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    It's the same stuff except it also says Winchester on the can. That's the only difference.

16. May 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    maybe cause it was the aerosol can it smelled

17. May 22, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I know several others using a light coat of 5W-30 on their semi-auto slides. How does it work for you? Does it have any staying power or does it evaporate away?

As for my light lube needs I use a drop of 3 in 1 oil with good results. I keep a can of BreakFree CLP handy in the range box for cleaning in the field but use Hoppes at home to get the bore clean.

18. May 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I use bike chain grease for my slides. I use Hoppes, CLP, and windex for everything else.

Products Discussed in

To Top