1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

break pads and replacing pads.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgdeer1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    Ive been driving lately around town and started to notice a squeaking sound from the front left tire. I took my truck to the local mechanic and had them replace my belts becuz i knew they were getting old and i asked him to look at all 4 break pads/shoes to see if they needed to be replaced. He said the back are perfectly fine, BUT the front pads are getting to that point of being changed. I left the shop with the new belts but i didnt wanna spend all the money for him to do my breaks. this was about a month ago i took it in, i still hear the squeeking till this day and now a slight grinding when i hit the breaks, a small grind for a second then it stops. I went to autozone to get new pads and figured i would just replace the pads. My question to you guys is, Will slapping new pads fix the squeeking? Do i need to get my rodors cut or can i just put new pads on? I asked my other mechanic about getting the rodors cut, he said, you dont need to get the rodors cut UNLESS there is a vibration coming from the tires when i tap or hold the break down. Do you always get the rodors cut when replacing break pads? will i be ok just putting new pads on without getting them cut?

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is gooder 'en chicken Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+250k AND COUNTING), 88 SR5 PU (SOLD), 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    The squeaking is from the built in squealer on the pad. That is the indication they need replaced. The grinding sound is more than likely the metal to metal contact from the pad being gone now. The rotors will need turned or replaced.

3. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    the grinding is very minor, sometimes it doesnt grind when i stop..If i were to put on new pads today would i be ok ? or do i need to replace/cut the rodors?

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    SunDevilTacoma

SunDevilTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Wht Double Cab PreRunner
    Turn signal relocation, built in fog light conversion, 4" deck plate
    You would have to pull the tires off and inspect the rotors to answer that. If you have no gouging at all then your rotors are probably ok and you can replace the pads. However, there are some that will says always turn your rotors and some will say just clean them sand paper so at that point it's your call.

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    Can i rub my finger along the rodor to feel for grove? if no groves just slap pads on and call it a day?

6. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Thomas The Train

Thomas The Train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    LA
    Vehicle:
    00 Prerunner
    Fenders, 32s, headlights, intake, sound system
    i would do the sand paper thing and apply that brake pad lube stuff they sell with the pads. Otherwise you'll keep squeaking until the pads match the grooves of the rotor.

7. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    Now what exactly do you do with the sandpaper? just sand the rodor till everything is flat? how do you determine if it needs a lil sanding, or should u just do it anyway?

8. Apr 18, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Breaks, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Me personally. the only time I have my rotors cut is if there is a groove or vibration while breaking, the sand paper is to create a bit of friction to help wear in the new pads, you're not going to get rid of ant unevenness using sand paper, that would be the job of having rotors cut, if no shake in the steering wheel, and no deep groves then just lightly sand,clean with aerosol brake cleaner, install new pads and you are good to go.

9. Apr 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    bgdeer1

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    thank you very much.!~

To Top