1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

breathers???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pataco, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    pataco

pataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    anybody know what those two breather hoses(sticking straight up) are for on the drivers side by the front shock tower under the hood???im thinking front diff.im getting some oil out of them i think.just found a very small spot on the floor and popped the hood.those hoses are damp with a little on the frame rail.thanks

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    pataco

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    thats what i thought to.just gotta figure out why they are pushing oil now.i will do more looking when i can put it up on the lift here this week.

3. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    mpleitez

mpleitez Well-Known Member

Member:
    valencia
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma 4x4
    ARB locked front and rear URD MAF Calibrator 3 in. lift Icon coil overs front Icon rear add a leafs airbags AFE stage2 si cold air intake DT Headers 02 sensor URD y-Pipe URD turbo Muffler
    When your diff get hot it releases the pressure through the breather hose ....the one leaking oil. just make sure they didn't clog up if not replace the breather

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    pataco

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    cool,thanks.i will def. check them.is there a way to tell if the breather is bad?

5. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    As he said the oil can get hot and over flow through this tube. Happened on a good buddies Jeep recently after he changed his diff fluid. the smaller on if a vent tube off of the front diff actuator. I just discovered where it went last night replacing my actuator. Over flowing is not a really big deal but its messy and the only good thing is after it does this one good time your front diff should be good to go from then on (as far as overfilled goes)

6. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    Gramps

Gramps My walker is faster than your Prius!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gramps
    Colorado! Where else?
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC 4x4
    A small handful of select mods.
    Could be water in the front diff from the axle seals going. Has the truck been through much water over the wheels?

7. Feb 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    Late April last year, I pulled my 16' travel trailer up some steep grades (4-8 thousand ft altitude) in east central Arizona. After the first grade I made a pee stop and noticed a small puddle of oil under the truck ('08 Tacoma V6, 4x4, TRD Offroad, 6sp). It looked to be coming from the tranfer case. I drove to the next Toyota Dealer (Hatch Toyota, Showlow, AZ) and they checked and steam cleaned it free of charge. They said that the oil level was normal and that maybe it was over filled at the factory. It hasn't leaked since.

8. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Front differential and ADD breathers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Top