1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brighter head lights

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by FrankTheTank41010, May 27, 2017.

1. May 27, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    FrankTheTank41010

FrankTheTank41010 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 tacoma 4x4 single cab
    Looking for best and brightest led or hid headlights to convert from factory lights. Anyone have any they would recommend over others?

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. May 30, 2017 at 4:34 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    I didn't want to change the DOT certified correctly engineered OEM headlight assembly, or any wiring. I replaced both lamps with Volsa H4 + 100's http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html. halogen, big increase in light output, correct cutoff, correct color, not melting anything, not blinding oncoming traffic, road legal, on sale.

Exact replacement for the Osram 70/65w Hyper H4 bulb, which is no longer available.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  3. May 30, 2017 at 4:41 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    I would recommend the retrofit source for HID headlight kits, they sell genuine morimoto kits that are about the highest quality you can get. Also, diode dynamics has replacement LEDs for both interior and exterior lights. The site is setup so you can view them all by clicking the light on the truck you want to replace and then it shows you a list of relevant ones to the Tacoma! https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/

FrankTheTank41010[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 4, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    I put Sylvania Silver Stars in mine. They are real nice. The Gold Stars are brighter but the brighter the light the sooner they burn out. They work in the stock headlight assembly as well.

FrankTheTank41010[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 5, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    FrankTheTank41010

FrankTheTank41010 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 tacoma 4x4 single cab
    Thanks for advice i will look into this

6. Jun 5, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    TRVLR500

TRVLR500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4 2.7 4CYL
    If you drive at normal speeds up to 80mph you'll very rarely need the brights. I may try the Golds next time around but it does get expensive replacing these things at around $40-50 every time. I haven't paid attention but I doubt any of them last more than a year especially if you work nights which I don't.

7. Jun 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    enjoitheride

enjoitheride life is a gift, have fun!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Off-Road DBL Cab.
    Just ordered the Diode Dynamics HID kit tonight. It uses the Hylux ballasts, and CN bulbs Pretty top tier stuff. I got the heavy duty relay harness to go with it. Too many fitment issues with Morimoto turned me on to the DD. Plus, the ballasts are pretty well known. Ordered all their LED bulbs for interior, brake lights, and License plate.

Do not use LED in the low beams. It will be a waste of money. Plenty of info on here about that.

8. Jun 7, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    TRD_Mike

TRD_Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport - Gray
    Can you tell me more about the Morimoto filament issues you're talking about? I'm looking into buying a Morimoto conversion kit for my truck and this is news to me...

9. Jun 7, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    enjoitheride

enjoitheride life is a gift, have fun!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Off-Road DBL Cab.
    If you go read the thread on HID lights, there are tons of people stating the lights bounce around, and that the bushings for the lights are different. This is causing the bulbs to not seat snug into socket.

I like that DD uses high end balasts and bulbs. And, their harness is pretty stout. That's just my choice after readin. Countless threads on lights.

Products Discussed in

To Top