1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Ignition Lock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billygoat, May 18, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    So I took my Tacoma to the dealership to get a transponder key programmed, and when I got home I realized the key didn't work in the doors. I went back and dropped off the truck and keys, and when I came back again they told me all the lock cylinders need to be replaced. I smiled, quietly walked to my truck, and noticed that the new key no longer works in the ignition AND the old key now sticks in the ignition and needs to be jiggled (never, ever had this happen before). I went back in, complained, they gave me the usual bs of how it must have been like that before. I got a manager to look at it, he tried both keys, and I watched him try to force the new key to turn the ignition. Now neither keys work and I had to leave the truck there. They said they will get back to me on it. I am annoyed (to put it lightly) that I had to spend nearly two hours there explaining that the ignition lock was fine beforehand, and that yes, it is possible to damage a lock by forcing it, but at least they gave me a loaner car for the meantime.

Now my main question: has anybody else had their ignition lock stop working (won't turn with key)? Are the Tacoma locks prone to breakage, or do they have an especially delicate mechanism? Should I expect the dealership to tell me some more bs about how it's not their fault?

2. May 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Keys wear out.
    If they cut the key by tracing then most of the time they won't work. they need to be cut by vin. Keys wear out and will not trace correctly. Yes sometimes a lock cyl will go bad. But in this case if it won't work correctly with your old keys now, they could have burred a tumbler. Make sure they cut by vin.

3. May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    So they are replacing the ignition lock and said they would match the new key to the doors. Then they called me today and said the ignition will be taking a different key and they won't be keying them alike. The guy I spoke to keeps saying the door cylinders are worn when I ask him why not. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it not possible to re-key the ignition lock to a key cut by the vin so it matches that way? I don't see why the door locks would be very worn when the truck has keyless entry. I had to push up on the key on the driver side to get it to work, but it still worked. I feel like they should give me back the truck in the condition it was in when I first brought it there (one key that opens doors and starts the truck) but honestly I just don't want to deal with this anymore. This is why I do all my automotive work myself, except when it comes to programing transponder keys apparently...

Would it work to pull out the door lock cylinders myself and have them re-keyed by a locksmith to match my ignition key? Also I can get new ones for $46.51 online...the dealership wants close to $500 to re-key the doors.

Edit: I talked to a locksmith. It's $50/lock to re-key them to match my key and they would be installing new pins at the same time. I sure hope he's right about being able to re-key the door locks, he didn't ask me what kind of truck I have or what year...

Edit: It still bothers me that I won't ever be able to get a key cut by the vin after this...

4. May 23, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    when you get a new cyl and keys you will get a key code tag with the set. just keep that code tag and you'll be fine. yes they should be able to recode the doors for one key. Haven't had one yet the locksmith couldn't do so far.

5. May 23, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    This is not right i would insist that the door and ignition use the same key. That is the way toyota built it. That is the way you dropped it off.

6. May 23, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

I'd be on the horn with corporate PDQ.

You took it in to have a new key made and programmed.
    THEY fucked up your ignition lock, and are now refusing to return the truck with matching locks?

That's bullshit.

7. May 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    What he said!

If they are changing the cylinder anyway, they just need it rekeyed to match the one they are taking out.

They can't do it in house, so they are being cheap bastards and trying to bully you so they don't have to sub it out to a locksmith.

Seriously? They expect you to carry two keys? Chevy doesn't even do that anymore!

8. May 24, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Honestly I'm pretty sick of dealing with shady service reps so I just let them install the new ignition without re-keying it. It's a 0.3 hour job according to automd.com, they had my truck for almost a week, and I just wanted it back. The way I see it, I got two new transponder keys this way instead of just one and it's $50 for a locksmith to re-key the door cylinder on the driver side, so it's not a total loss. The remote didn't work on the doors when I picked it up, but they fixed that pretty quickly when I complained.

When I got home I noticed some chips in the paint on the doors and a new dent, the interior is pretty filthy and there are metal filings on the shifter and carpet (I asked for the old lock and it looks like they drilled out a rivet or something to remove it), there are grease stains on the passenger seat, bread crumbs everywhere and a piece of deli meat on the passenger seat, scratches/gouges on the interior door panel...the list goes on...oh, and naturally a humongous seagull shit on the windshield that they smeared with the wiper blades and left there for me. I'm going to go through the truck tonight and check everything, sleep on it, and give corporate a call tomorrow. I'm done talking to the service reps there. I just wish I wrote down the mileage before I left my truck with them...

9. May 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    :eek:

Me thinks you should post the dealer's name up for all to see.:(

Products Discussed in

To Top