1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brush Guard question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vaturkeyhunter, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    vaturkeyhunter

vaturkeyhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Old Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Tacoma TRD 4Wd - TRD
    hey guys im new around here, and this website has been awesome just from reading around already. I know theres some threads about this but I kinda wanted to hear yalls opinions still. I just ordered a new steelcraft brush guard for my 09 sport trd tacoma. you are supposed to remove the skid plate though, but I am off road a good bit since I work at a farm, but I also wanted a little protection against brush, sticks, etc. and especially since Im in deer country I want to minimize the damage if I were to hit one. what should I do about the skid plate?

2. May 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Most of the brush guards are damage multipliers and don't really do much to protect the front end. The stock skid plate isn't overly stout but I don't know as if I'd want to remove it if you plan on off roading. I had a brush guard (for sale now actually) that allows you to retain the factory skid.

3. May 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well iMHO it’s not going to do much for deer. “most” of the brush guards are made out of tubing with very thin walls, so it just binds and can cause more damage in a crash.

i don’t have a front skid plate and i put front of my truck in a ditch(well it’s not a ditch, but out back their is a ditch like thing from a open cap under ground. my front bumper was touching the ground and frame was on ground. i did not damage anything at all!

4. May 2, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    vaturkeyhunter

vaturkeyhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Old Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab Tacoma TRD 4Wd - TRD
    okay, thanks for the feedback!

To Top