1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BT and iPhone

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Squirrellydw, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    I was told by the dealer that my SR5 stock stereo only have Bluetooth capabilities for talking, not audio. I haven't messed with it since but have always wondered why would it would only work for calls. I'll have to take a closer look. Is there any sound quality issues running the iPod/iPhone through Bluetooth?

2. Apr 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    differential

differential Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Black Pre Runner
    My iPhone 4s works for both calls and Bluetooth audio. When you pair the phone, via the Tacoma voice guided system, it will also ask you if you want to use the phone for audio as well.

Mine works flawlessly, except that it doesn't import my address book from my phone, or display my addresses on the radio screen. It will show any phone number incoming/outgoing, but that's it.

I dont' have the SR5, but mine is a 2012 pre-runner without the Entune/navigation stereo.

3. Jul 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default volumes for the satellite radio and bluetooth? Regular radio is one volume but the satellite and bluetooth are noticeably quieter. Makes shifting between audio sources irritating as a switch to FM suddenly raises the volume out of the speakers considerably.

4. Jul 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    It's two completely different protocols to use the phone over BT vs. streaming audio. In order for it to work, *BOTH* the phone and the receiver need to support BT streaming audio. If you have a compatible radio, it will ask you if you want to pair the audio output once the phone pairing has been done (assuming your phone is also compatible) -- I'm pretty sure all TRD models have this feature standard, but I'm not surprised though if the base model doesn't have it as a standard feature.

Most newer smart phones do support it, but you had an old flip-phone, for example, you would not be able to pair the audio to your receiver because the phone doesn't have it, but you'd still be able to make/receive calls over BT.

5. Jul 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    I paired my iPhone (4) via BT and set the radio up for both phone and audio via the voice menu.

One irritating thing I've discovered is that when I plug in my iPhone it won't play over the USB cable until I manually change the airplay settings from In Car Audio (BT) to Dock Connector (USB).... and iTunes always defaults to BT so I have to change the setting every time I plug the USB cable in.

It's not a total game breaker, but it is irritating and it would be nice if there was a way to correct this?

On a side note, the BT stereo in my wife's Rav4 is way more user friendly than the one in the Tacoma... unlike the Tacoma it even lets me import the phonebook and doesn't disable itself once the vehicle starts moving. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top