1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bubba rope soft shackles

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by 304_Taco, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    304_Taco

304_Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Anyone have any idea where I can get a few of these on sale? I'd like to add a couple to my recovery bag, but at $45 each they are a little steep. I'm sure they would be worth every penny when I need them, but saving a few dollars never hurt anyone :amen:

2. Sep 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Flatliner

Flatliner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    Fox and Icon Suspension upgrade
    Making a soft shackle is NOT a complex process. I make them out of much smaller dynema rope for hammocking. Here is a youtube link on the process if you are interested in having some without spending a lot. Obviously you would use bigger dynema for this application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgAqo0cc8

Marc70, Mikenewgun87 and 304_Taco[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 4, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Scott17818

Scott17818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    methodMR305NV, 265/70/17duratracs, ARB RTT, DITCH Lights
    I bought 3 of them on Amazon for $13 a piece.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BDAOAC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

theyre a bit on the smaller side, but

What is the lbs rating?
    Answer:
    32000lbs,thanks!

32000lbs is more than enough to pull on my truck even loaded with armour gear and 4 passengers.. I just got these 2 days ago.. and they are a bit small but will easily accomodate 2 larger tree saver straps, and a winch hook..

Mikenewgun87 likes this.
  4. Sep 4, 2019 at 11:41 PM
    304_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    My only fear with making them myself is a possible failure. I would hate to being helping someone and end up make the situation worse. If it happened to me that's another story and my own fault. However, I don't want to place someone else in that predicament.

I will be making some though just for shits and giggles. Seems like a fun project and might come in handy one of these days.
    I have seen the different ones that Amazon has. I'm just leery for the reason I mentioned above. The bubba rope brand is highly regarded and I would rather be safe than sorry. Thank you for the recommendation though :thumbsup:

5. Sep 5, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    Scott17818

Scott17818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Midcoast Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR
    methodMR305NV, 265/70/17duratracs, ARB RTT, DITCH Lights
    reguarded or not, they all eventually break due to use, rubbing, etc... I'll run these till they break.. they are actual Dyneema rope, and the slip cover is very good as well.. for the money they will serve their purpose. If you know anything about sales.. the name means nothing other than another markup on pricing.. they are all products of the same manufacturer/rope producer. others slap a printed name on them, and say theyre better by throwing hype behind them.. honestly I'd rather not give into that culture. and for $13 if they break.. I have 2 more.. and I also still have some 30k+ lb bow shackles as well.

tundraconvert likes this.
  6. Sep 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    304_Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    I totally understand the brand markups and all of the nonsense that companies do these days. I also know that with some products you get what you pay for. I can't confirm this in this situation as I haven't owned any of their products or any others for a comparison. I based my decision on random reviews and love of the bubba rope brand.

They will all break and that's the compromise for the weight you save and the versatility of the rope vs a normal shackle. I too have some regular shackles in my kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top