1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BudBuilt Traction Bar Questions and Opinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 043RZ, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Apr 2, 2016 at 8:27 AM
    043RZ

043RZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    Hello all, So tax returns have come in and im wanting to do some improvements to my daily driver/project truck. Im wanting to install some sort of traction bar system to the rear end to eliminate/reduce my axle wrap issue. My truck is lifted with a 3inch block in the rear along with new OME Dakar leaf springs and Bilstein shocks (total lift is about 5-1/4 in of lift). The new springs have helped with the wrapping issue to a degree but i want a little more control. Iv also noticed that when i did my gear swap (5.29) the wrap especially when pulling away in first gear is worse, which is to be expected due to the lower gearing and greater torque being put down at lower RPM. I want a system that wont hinder suspension travel and so far iv only seen the BudBuilt system that keeps the wrap in check but allowing maximum flex. However id like some opinions on this issue before purchase. Like will this system work with the stock exhaust system? I have a 4cyl so my muffler is not as big and bulky like the 6cyl and have a lot more room between the drive shaft and muffler ( Ill post rear axle pics and driveshaft/muffler pics later ). What about the weld on version verses the bolt on version? I dont have access to a welder and the truck sees more on road driving then off road. And finally anybody currently running a Budbuit system? How do you like it? Thanks much in advance for answering :thumbsup:

2. Apr 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Years ago, I installed a Budbuilt traction bar on a '84 Toyota. I had 2" blocks, so axle wrap was a concern. It worked OKl but not for very long. The bracket that attaches to the differential self-destructed. Threw it all away. Hopefully, they have since improved the quality of that part.

IMHO, you should ditch the blocks and upgrade to a 3" lift spring pack, or a combination of 2" springs and 1" shackle lift.

043RZ[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 2, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    Was it the bolt on version or weld on? Did you wheel your truck or normal everyday driving? Also what exactly happened to the differential bracket?

I had a feeling this was going to come up... the problem with this one is that there brand new springs and a custom set of springs i feel are going to set me back farther then it would with a traction bar set up.

Honestly the only thing im left with is to compromise some flex and go with either a ladder bar set up of tuff country traction bars that mount above both leaf springs.

4. Apr 2, 2016 at 10:08 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The blocks are causing the wrap, especially with blocks that large. The correct solution is to put lift springs in the back in the desired lift height and ditch the blocks entirely. Any other solution is trying to bandaid what is the cause of the problem. It might not be the cheapest solution up front, but investing more money further down the path of doing it wrong could be more expensive in the long run. You can resell your current Dakars and get some reasonable money since they are well known and popular, to help offset the cost of getting new springs.

5. Apr 2, 2016 at 11:22 AM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5

I totally agree with you that the blocks are a culprit. However iv been down that road with a custom set of springs and that was a nightmare. Between trying to level my truck out and everything else it was a nightmare and the leaf springs ended up not working. As of now i have my truck sitting exactly level and where i want it and riding how i want it. I dont want to go threw that hell again, not to mention if i did get a set of custom springs again, i would have to hack up my $600.00 exhaust pipe due to the springs making contact with them. I totally agree that the blocks are the culprit but adding a traction bar of some type is looking easier to do then redesigning the rear suspension again

6. Apr 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM
    Glueman

Glueman Yersinia pestis

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    The Plague....
    6 inch Douche Bag lift...what else do I need?
    IMO you're not going to solve your problem with a bolt on version. The weld on design is miles better as far as support. Like tan4X4 said, the bolt on design will just get destroyed over time, especially if you wheel the truck.

I have a set of custom springs for my 6 DB lift and they work great. No vibes at take off or any speed. It can be done....

7. Apr 4, 2016 at 3:30 AM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    '00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab 5speed x's 2. '01 T4R 3.4 5 speed
    He will have major bro lean like this. He needs atleast 5 inches.

Op, you'll pry be best off contacting alcan or one of the leaf spring companies and trying to order up a set of leafs with your desired height and weight capacity needs.

8. Apr 4, 2016 at 7:56 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    When I posted that, I didn't realize the OP has a 6" lift :eek:.

BTW, I wheeled my bolt-on bud-built traction bar, so it didn't last. The part of the flange where it was bolted to the diff broke away.

Products Discussed in

To Top