1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Budget Bullet - 1990 Truck 7-MGTE Swap

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Downsouth Motorsports, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Dec 2, 2008 at 9:49 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports [OP] Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    Front King 2.5, Coilovers, Camburg UCA, Rear King 2.0 Shocks, Lots of Tinted Windows, Cherry Third Owner
    This build is a story of a theft that led me to a 1990 Toyota Truck. About six months ago I had my Rhino stolen from me. Not just a Rhino but MY RHINO, my project, my pristine toy that I literally dumped every extra cent I had into! For me I have to have some kind of toy or project to tinker with or I find myself going crazy, literally bordem makes you think about all the bills and problems you have. So I got over the initial depression of losing my pride and joy and started looking for my next project. I came across a add on craigs list for a Nissan P/U for $600.00-called and went to look at it. I lagged on getting there and when I got there it had sold. There were 3 trucks for sale total 1 Nissan, 2 Toyota's- after meeting me the lady felt bad for selling the Nissan and said the other 2 were also sold but that 1 had yet to be paid for. I finessed my way into buying the truck for $300.00.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The truck did not run , had 3 flat tires and body damage to the front- but I saw the bigger picture. Initially I was planning on swapping the 22RE with the 22RTE (22RE Turbo) that came in a few models of the truck. I found a motor online for $600.00 complete and was seconds away from buying it when I started reading up a bit more on it. There are plenty of mods available but stock hp was 145 and full blown built around 300-350hp. I then started searching for a 3RZ motor that was twin cam and capable of twice what the 22RTE could produce. I wanted to research what I was getting into with the swap and started a thread on another site trying to find someone who had preformed the labor. I got some info and suggestions to use another power source, then a member posted a link to a craigs list add in San Diego where I live for a complete Supra Turbo motor for $1000.00. I thought it was crazy-there is no way that would work, or fit. I googled supra motor in truck and found actual sites dedicated to just that. The swap is very common and fits with minor modifications. The site details all install instructions, wiring diagrams and additional parts, ect. After reading up I decided if the guy still had the motor I was goin for it! Needless to say I got a call at 8 this a.m. letting me know it was mine if I wanted it. I picked it up today and found that the previous owner had documented receipts of a complete engine rebuild costing over $4K less than a year ago. The motor was removed because the car was in an accident, rear collision.

So now I have all the pieces of the puzzle and its time to make them all fit. I will keep updating the progress of my build for anyone who might get the spark I found when I saw the finished product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThx4b267WU

[​IMG]

2. Dec 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Dang man looking good - I wish my baby was so economical. Thanks for the deal on the Billys!!!:cool:

3. Dec 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    slo2sixty

slo2sixty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    10 Acesscab TRD Sport
    885s 10mm spacer lite racing UCA Dakars Nitrocharger sports
    Shit man its gonna be sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Dec 24, 2008 at 11:57 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Any updates!?

5. May 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM