1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Build Thread: Ultimate Bed Drawer System for Camping/Cooking/Tailgating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cjptacoma, May 29, 2020.

1. Nov 14, 2021 at 3:22 AM
    802Tacomas

802Tacomas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winooski, VT
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCSB
    Bilstein 6112’s AAL w/ Bilstein 5160’s JBA UCA’s ARE CX Bed Cap Custom 8020 Extruded Cap Rack Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/75r16’s Caliraised Lower Bumper Hidden LED Bar Caliraised Ditch Lights
    Hello from Winooski, VT. Thanks a ton for sharing your CAD files with us! I think I’ll be attempting to copy your build, but modified for a short bed.

2. Nov 14, 2021 at 9:36 AM
    cjptacoma

cjptacoma [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    OME BP-51 Lift, TRD Pro wheels, grill, headlights.
    I don’t know if it’s skill, or too much free time :rofl:

3. Nov 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    A fellow Vermonter! Modifying this design for a short bed should be easy, and you’ll save a lot of money with shorter slides. Good luck with your build and let me know if you have any questions!

4. Nov 14, 2021 at 3:33 PM
    802Tacomas

802Tacomas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winooski, VT
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR DCSB
    Bilstein 6112’s AAL w/ Bilstein 5160’s JBA UCA’s ARE CX Bed Cap Custom 8020 Extruded Cap Rack Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/75r16’s Caliraised Lower Bumper Hidden LED Bar Caliraised Ditch Lights
    Will do! Thanks again for the inspiration!

cjptacoma[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 13, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    nchiker1

nchiker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Incredible write-up! Going to give this a go for my '04.

To verify, you used 1/2" plywood for the frame? How's that holding up? Others have used 3/4" for similar projects, but I'll go with the lighter option if it's sturdy enough.

cjptacoma[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yup! 1/2in and it's held up fine. I made a couple of small modifications to the drawer faces to strengthen them (I need to add that update to this thread), but other than that it's held up great.

nchiker1[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Dec 13, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    nchiker1

Member:
    Awesome, thanks man! Look forward to seeing those drawer modifications.

Doing it again, would you go with the same extensions you used for the drawers, or something else? Wondering how strong they are.

8. Dec 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If I can find some time before the holidays I'll snap a few pics and throw them up on here. Been meaning to do that for awhile!

Re: drawer slides. The strength of those things I would not worry about. Each set is rated up to 500lbs and they're built like tanks (the total weight of the two sets was like 70lbs). The most annoying issue is the cost. Looks like they're still around $250/pair (https://www.ovisonline.com/60-Heavy-Duty-Drawer-Slide-FR5400-P2383.aspx)

I think I linked this video earlier in the thread, but this guy builds some slides out of steel square stock and skateboard bearings. It's an awesome approach, and one I might consider if doing it again.

nchiker1[QUOTED] and wi_taco like this.
  9. Dec 13, 2021 at 4:00 PM
    wi_taco

wi_taco My skid plates give rocks taco flavored kisses

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OffRoad
    Thanks OP for the build, I used yours and sachou’s as a template for mine. Regarding the drawer slides I initially wanted to but the HD slides but cost is prohibitive and I went with the roller bearing method as many others have done. Can honestly say I’m glad I did and would do it again if building another. Stronger than the 1/2” plywood they attach to and saves about $400 on project cost which means more beer or gas for the journey!

10. Dec 13, 2021 at 4:21 PM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Couldn't agree more! You'll break the plywood before you break the slides, and with the extra $400 for beer and gas it's a win win!

11. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:16 PM
    nchiker1

Member:
    DUDE. I had no idea they were that expensive. Good to know, I'll check out his write-up. Thanks for the great info!

12. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous! Good luck and reach out if I can help!

nchiker1[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 14, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    great write-up @cjptacoma. I am in process of designing some drawers as well and was curious if you know an approximate total weight? Im going back and forth between a wood frame and extruded Al. Obviously Al is more expensive, but would the weight savings be worth it????

14. Dec 14, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Great question. I never weighed it, but if I had to guess, I'd say the whole thing weighs probably 300 lbs. It took some maneuvering to get it into the truck by myself. Personally I don't mind the weight, because I live in VT where it snows all winter and extra bed weight is beneficial.

Extruded aluminum would definitely be a sweet way to go. As you said, much more expensive and probably harder to work with, but it would be a lot lighter!

15. Jan 2, 2022 at 9:54 PM
    Bluenoser009

Bluenoser009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma (A-cab/TRD/SR5/OFF-ROAD/6 spd)
    Man awesome job, and excellent summary for the rest of us. Thanks! similar to @GeoTaco question… with the weight of the topper and your new platform/drawers, what suspension are you running in the back? Shocks, leaf packs, lift?

I’ve been toying with idea of adding a cap and making a platform too. I’m running 5100’s and the medium duty OME springs which gave me about 2-2.5” over stock. Curious how much drop the cap and this new set up give you? Ride about level? Thanks again

16. Jan 10, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Oh man, suspension. So about 6 months before building this setup, I went all in on a ARB BP-51 lift kit with OME medium springs. I was replacing the previous owners crappy lift job, so I'm not exactly sure what it put me over stock, but I think it was about 2-2.5 inches in the front and about an inch higher than that in the back. After the Leer cap and the drawer system, it sits perfectly level. It also drives better with the extra weight in the back.

Hope that helps!

Bluenoser009[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 10, 2022 at 1:22 PM
    Bluenoser009

Bluenoser009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma (A-cab/TRD/SR5/OFF-ROAD/6 spd)
    Very helpful! Thanks for the details. And good to know we have the same leaf packs. Again, great job on your build (and write up)

18. Mar 21, 2022 at 11:20 AM
    WoodsEdt

WoodsEdt Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR
    Arb bumper Snugtop topper Spacer lift :( Customer drawer system
    Awesome build, I will for sure be creating another drawer system for the next rig and will be stealing some of your ideas!

You have had it a few years now and curious for an update. Would you change anything? electrical, water, structure changes, etc?

19. Jun 14, 2022 at 1:50 PM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey everyone,

It’s high time I post an update to this build. I’ve tried to jump into the forum and answer messages as people send them, but I admit I haven’t been as attentive to this post as I’d like!

That being said, I’ve had this system for over two years now, and I can honestly say that it’s performed wonderfully. It’s held up exceptionally well and accomplished all of the things that I designed it to. I haven’t been nice to it either. Lots of bumpy dirt road driving, lots of bed use with heavy objects, and LOTS of camping!

Here's a snap from a quick outing I made up in Burlington, VT during Memorial day.

L1004624.jpg
    L1004628.jpg

I’ve probably gone camping/cooking using this setup 20-30 in both summer and winter. There aren’t many things I’d change, but I did make a couple of small modifications since my original post. I’ll summarize them below.

One of the first modifications I made is the switch bank. The way I had it before with the switches on the side facing outward wasn’t the best design. It was hard to tell which switch was which and the power meter was completely obscured. I ended up redesigning the whole switch bank to put the switches facing backward out of the truck and the power meter on top. Honestly, if I was to do it again, I’d ditch the power meter. I never use it. Here’s a pic of that mod.

L1004627.jpg

You’ll also notice a new “light” switch. This is for two LED light strips attached to the rear window of my cap. This was small but super nice mod. It allows you to easily light up the whole rear of the truck when using/accessing in the dark.

I also reinforced the kitchen drawer face with a pocket screw panel. Previously, the face was held on just with the 6 pocket screws on the side. This mod gives the kitchen panel quite a bit more strength.

L1004707.jpg

After the first winter, I went to get the kitchen ready and found that the “shower” tee I added had cracked and was leaking. I’m not surprised by this, it was made from very cheap plastic and was difficult to seal when installing initially. I ended up removing it entirely. I don’t really miss this feature, but if I were to add it again, I’d do it with higher quality fittings from McMaster-Carr or similar to make it last.

Lastly, I added a custom bracket to hold my cutting board inside the cabinet. Small addition, but very handy.

L1004708.jpg

In conclusion, this thing has been great. Besides the shower fitting breaking, it’s worked almost flawlessly and it gets TONS of compliments when I pull up to the campsite/trailhead. If I were to do it again, I’d skip the shower and power meter and I might make it an inch taller. I’m torn on that one though.

Happy camping everyone!

CowboyTaco, wi_taco and nchiker1 like this.
  20. Jun 14, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    cjptacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameron
    Norwich, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I also add that I'm toying with the idea of doing a small production run of these. It would be entirely dependent on demand, however.

If you're interested in this send me a DM. This current design fits a 6' bed but I could probably design one with a 5' bed as well.

PS. Mods -- if sales solicitations aren't allowed, remove this post or DM me and I'll remove it.

Products Discussed in

To Top