1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Build to Order Guitar Specs Thread

Discussion in 'Music' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I love my Elixer Nano Lights but am open to any suggestions for my next set for something similar, or that anyone thinks in better.

2. Oct 14, 2014 at 6:19 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    I have tried almost every string under the sun, and always come back to Elixir Nano custom lights. To me, uncoated strings sounds better out of the box compared to the elixirs which are very bright and almost harsh. But the problems come in around week 2: uncoated strings are starting to tarnish and come out of tune after a 5-10 minutes of playing. Elixirs now have a nice smooth tone, and are flexible enough to be really comfortable. I can go an average of 1-2 months with elixirs before they come out of tune after a few minutes, while after two weeks, I am ready to ditch uncoated.

Even the Daddario EXP coated strings will lose their muster after a couple weeks. While they are coated, the windings are exposed which accumulate grime, which deadens them too quickly.

And the final +1 for elixirs, no string squeal.

If you are so inclined to go with a different string, my favorite uncoated by far are John Pearse 80/20s. Very smooth and mellow.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  3. Oct 14, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    I have no reason to switch at all. I enjoy they way my Elixers play just fine. I was just wondering if someone out there knew something I didn't as far as what I may be missing haha I intend to stick with them for good, unless I get a recommendation to try something else. They play perfect for me.

4. Oct 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    So what kind of music does everyone play? Any multi-Instrumentalists?

5. Nov 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx Master Shredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    CDA Idaho/ Deadhorse Ak
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SW TRD OR/ 2015 tundra CM off road sr5
    3in lift, 5100s front and rear, OME 887 springs 2in aal, 285 75 16 Duratracs, mb 352 black wheels, white sport grill, derp'd lower valance, derp'd front toyota emblem white, tinted windows, tinted tail lights, trd shorty antenna, trd hitch cover, trd valve stem caps, trd neoprene covers, trd all weather floor mats, kenwood double din, stampede window visors, flyzeye interior leds, anytime fog light mod, flashlight mod, kool vue intake, LED dome light, Lund bug shield, TRD shift knob,front mud flaps removed, Debadged, truxedo roll up bed cover, led fog light bulbs, led parking light bulbs, led dtrls bulbs, led headlight bulbs, led back up light bulbs, led license plate bulbs, tinted license plate covers, 18" magnaflow muffler, 32in ebay, light bar, coverking neoprene resr seat cover, oem trd skid plate, trd decal on center caps, oem trd exhaust tip, blacked out pinch welds, color matched mirror covers.
    I play punk hardcore mostly but alot of acoustic and some 90s rock covers are always fun

6. Dec 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    I play metal, rock, classical, little bit of jazz (big pain in the ass with arthitis), and a wee bit of trumpet :D

I've got some knock off strat right now, I've had several Jackson's, a few Fenders, a few Ovations (love the idea, horrible execution), and a Martin which I foolishly sold to fix a car.

I also do "custom" work. Mainly swapping out pickups and drilling out wood to fit a 9 volt for active EMG's.

7. Dec 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.

Nice. I've been thinking about trying to learn jazz, but I've been working on a bunch of different things so I feel like it probably just wouldn't end well haha it seems pretty daunting too.

I used to play a lot of metal, but now I'm pretty much strictly acoustic and my PRS just sits in the corner being lonely lol mainly playing Bluegrass and acoustic/fingerpicking blues. Been learning the dobro as well. Awesome instrument and sounds amazing when done well, but it's super hard haha I've had it for about a year and still have no idea what I'm doing.

8. Feb 4, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    dude...I'm not sure how I missed this thread before...maybe because I had nothing worth posting...

...that is, until tomorrow when I place my order for this bad boy! it's been a dream of mine to own a PRS since 1998 and I will finally own one! woot! it's about as close to built to order as it can come from PRS even thought it's actually a signature model (Mark Holcomb from Periphery). key things I like about it that's different than the standard Custom 24 is the 25.5" scale (PRS normally uses 25" for 24 frets), 20" fretboard radius and the string-through-body design with a custom plate bridge. also the custom Seymour Duncans are a nice departure from their standard tone profile bringing a little more crisp attack to the table. can't fucking wait to get it in my hands!!! doesn't ship until May 1. :( Whatever will I do until then?

[​IMG]

interesting side note I just learned the other day. I always thought the bird inlays were of one bird, but in different phases of flight...they're actually each a different bird...I can get behind that level of detail!
    Starting from the nut the birds are:

Peregrine falcon
    Marsh hawk
    Ruby throated hummingbird
    Common tern
    Coopers hawk
    Kite
    Sparrow landing
    Storm petrel
    Hawk landing
    Screech owl on a branch (24-fret models only)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. Feb 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Dang! The bird bit might actually be the coolest little attention to detail there ha Congrats! :D

10. Feb 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    With that level of thought going into it, I wonder what made them choose that order. I mean, it's obvious why the Peregrine is on top :cool: haha but I wonder . . .

11. Feb 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    Shauncho

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none

Thanks! I know huh? I love the idea that maybe that level of thought was put into every aspect of the guitar. And by playing it, it really feels like there was!

Lol, that's all they have posted on their website about it. I kinda wonder about that too. Maybe I'll email them.

12. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

nice that going to make you play better or just like fancy.

13. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    Shauncho

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    shit, son...I can sound good on a fisher price guitar!! :D

I just felt it was finally time I bought a guitar that costs more than $300.

14. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    ahhh ok.

How about fisher price drums?

15. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    Shauncho

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    those I still sound like crap on....but that's because of the instrument! lol

16. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    ok.

How many c notes was it? 6 7 8?

17. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    Shauncho

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    23! but well worth it.

18. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    Sefferston

Sefferston I like Tacos.

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Germany
    Vehicle:
    ZOMG B-RED!
    I've got that one thing, and that other one thing, oh yeah and that other other one thing.
    Needs a Floyd Rose :) Great looking axe, and I bet she just screams.

19. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM
    Shauncho

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    hahaha, it was between this model and the Dustie Waring model which does have the floyd rose...but I missed my order window for that one. But I have a Jackson with a floyd rose and I hardly use it.

20. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

what about the house money :notsure:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top