1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building a Fireplace, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AeroCooper, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper [OP] Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Out with the old....took down the old fireplace and slab, and started filling that hole in.
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Not a very exciting picture today, but it represents a lot of work. We made the wooden form and put it in, then filled it with 3 inches of marble rock chips and another 4 inches of concrete and re-mesh. It came to 1150 lbs of rock and around 1000 lbs of concrete.
    There is plastic over it now to slow the curing process so that it won't be brittle when its all set up.
    The chairs and other items are to keep the dogs from walking across it. :D
    There is also a leftover piece of the re-mesh which looks like a piece of fence there on the right. It is basically really thin re-bar which is put into the middle of the concrete slab to make it more stable and to resist it breaking apart.
    [​IMG]

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So somewhat on topic- I'm getting ready to lay a 7'x7' cement slab- Any recommendations for technique for forming it and getting it to set dead level?

PS- I'm really looking forward to see what the final product looks like here....

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... Subbed ... :popcorn:

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    A 7'x7' would be very easy because it is small. Just set your forms level and screed off them .. then float it out.

I have built 3 house from scratch ... can build almost anything except laying block or brick.

What loads will you put on the concrete ?

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    SOSHeloPilot is correct (although I wouldn't call a 7' x 7' slab small by my standards).
    Use a square tool or even a square cut piece of beam (which is what I used) in the inside corners of the form when you make it to make sure each corner is 90*. Then measure diagonally both ways from corner to corner and make sure its the same distance. You can hopefully tweak it a bit if needed.
    Then after you place it in the hole, do what you have to in order to get it level in all directions.
    After the concrete is poured and still fresh, use an old piece of 2x4 across the top of the form in a sawing motion to get the concrete all level with the form, and then use a concrete float to smooth it all out. I have to say though, getting concrete 'smooth' is a bit of a stretch because it has so many small rocks in it that you can't really get it super smooth in the same way that cement would be. At least I couldn't, but it will be good enough for underneath the fireplace where no one will ever see it again.

7. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    A 7'x7' prefab shed so the pad may actually be slightly larger...inches maybe. With garden and yard tools and some back yard stuff. It's not going to be holding houses up or anything.

Yeah...I'm not worried about it being super smooth- As long as it's level and going to hold itself together. I hadn't thought about gravel or anything under it-but with the wet nature of where I live down here...Probably will do that.

Thanks!!

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Bruines , put a plastic vapour barrier under your concrete , that will keep ground moisture from saturating your slab and coming up into your shed

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Also a good idea. I'm less worried about the moisture coming up into the shed (it's humid all the time no matter what and the shed is weather tight but not airtight) as I am about the ground run off subsiding the soil unevenly.
    My house is about 3 feet above sea level...Most of the lot is 0 at best...OOPS.

10. Jul 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Since you will have the square forms out in the open ... you can measure the diagonals and that will show you square. Like Aero said .. squaring the corners is important.

OZ-T's idea on the vapor barrier is excellent because of "moisture wicking".

FWIW ... one catch 22 on oversizing a concrete pad for an out building ... depending on out building's design ... oversized pads can catch water in a hard rain storm and winds can channel & wick the water under the out building's edges and into the out building's contents ... even with a properly drained pad ... however, it would be great if you can "flash" over the concrete pad's sides to prevent this.

AeroCooper ... I like what you are doing and may copy some of your ideas ... :D

11. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    Hopefully you're on somewhat level ground, if not you'll have to level it out with tightly packed sand and paver base.
    Create a mold using 2x6x8's and screw them together square. If you go to a home center (lowe's) they have quikrete calculators to tell you how many bags you will need. May want to rent a gas powered cement mixer to keep it going while you pour and form.
    Also, may want to add some decorative tile in the cement to spice it up a bit.
    I can't find the picture of my in-laws hot tub slab I did for them :mad:

12. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    7x7x8" thick is about 1 1/4 yards of concrete , look into a delivery vs bags , sometimes it's suprising how comparable it is in cost .

PS , the volume I stated is an example , always measure your site conditions accurately

13. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Luckily- This outbuilding has a floor-Hence the need to pour the pad to level the whole thing. Right now it's set up but the floor is kinda...well..wavy. Oops.

The yard is pretty level and once I dig out the spot for the pad I can fix the little differences. I thought about one of the powered mixers..cause the calculator I used already said about 21 80# bags of concrete. I might stop by the concrete place around the corner and see what it would cost to get a truck to stop by for 20 mins and dump it over the fence...

14. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    That's a good idea, a lot less hastle

15. Jul 5, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    ::thumbs up:: and now...MORE FIREPLACE!!!!!

16. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    ^^ Unfortunately, I am going to let the slab set up for about 2 weeks, so the progress is at a stand still until then.

As for mixers, I rented an electric one for $30/24 hrs and it was money well spent. Supposedly it could take 3 80# bags, but we went with 2 at a time to prevent sloshing out. That being said, we mixed 12 bags, smoothed it, covered it and returned the mixer within 2.5 hours of starting the first batch, so I was pretty psyched at how quickly it worked, and with minimal effort. :)

And although I checked with several different online concrete calculators and measured very carefully, I still ended up with 3 extra bags somehow. But I'll use them eventually, and they are cheap, $3.56 per bag if I recall. And I was planning on one extra bag anyway...they said 14 bags, I bought 15 to be safe. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

17. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    80 lb bags of premix ?

18. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    80# bags of dry, ready to mix, just add water.

19. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Interesting , most pre mix bags in my area are smaller .

20. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Here they have 40, 60 or 80 in most stores.

Products Discussed in

To Top