1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building a Fireplace, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AeroCooper, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    Looking great!

2. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you going to pitch the back or sides of the firebox ?

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper [OP] Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    No, the designs I have been patterning mine after use straight fireboxes. But it will have an 11" smoke chamber. Do you think the pitched ones have an advantage on an outdoor fireplace?

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I don't think it's a deal breaker outside , the pitched sides and back are intended to reflect the heat outwards , probably not a huge issue in an outdoor fireplace

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Ok, thanks for the input. That was my understanding as well. And since the function of this fireplace is not for heating I decided to go ahead with a rectangular box.

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    It will be awesome .

A friend of mine has a back to back inside and outside fireplace on the house he built for himself . His outdoor one is on his open porch , sitting out there in winter with snow on the ground and the fire roaring is pretty cool .

7. Aug 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    The front of the firebox is completely enclosed now. The firebox itself has one more course to go, as does the bottom section of the fireplace.

[​IMG]

Looking down into the firebox from the front.
    [​IMG]

8. Aug 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Looks awesome. Gonna be nice when its done!

9. Aug 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
    Making great progress! I love the updates!

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    I wasn't planning to do any work on it today because they said it was going to rain all day, but it turned out to be sunny, so I got the final layer of the bottom section almost completed. I left off the final 3 blocks so that I can get in there and finish the fire box.

[​IMG]

There is a small and temporary preview of what it will look like one I get the rock exterior put on. I made the firebox extend out slightly past the front, so I put these small rocks on in order to made a level surface to put the real stone arch on later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Silverdale, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 F-150 FX4
    looks sick can't wait to see the finished product

damn ur back yard is cool so green and with that river running in it amazing

12. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Looks awesome man...Getting a lot done!!

13. Aug 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Laying out the plans for the arch on my basement floor with cardboard.

[​IMG]

Making sure my measurements are correct.
    [​IMG]

I built a wooden platform to support the arch while it dries. Today I began working on the top of the arch and also completed the walls of the firebox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the chimney...

[​IMG]

14. Aug 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Today is six weeks to the day since we poured the concrete slab, and with the chimney in place, the basic structure is now complete.
    The chimney will still need one row of rocks or bricks on top, which is just cosmetic at this point.
    I'll also need to get the top of the bottom section covered and put on the rock facing everywhere.
    Overall, very happy with the progress now though.

[​IMG]

15. Aug 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Don't blame you man- That looks AWESOME. I'm totally saving a couple of the photos for later use (if you don't mind...)

16. Aug 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    ^^ Thanks, and no problem...part of the reason I've put up all these pics and info is to hopefully help/inspire someone else who might need it. I put a ton of research into every step, but there's still things I would adjust if I did it again. Probably I'll make a list of things I've learned when I'm finished.

17. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I have learned a lot watching this project also. You are doing a super job and documenting it for the group is excellent.

Many times, I log in just to see the progress of your project. Thanks for posing it in a progressive series and you complete it.

PS ... Brunes ... I saw a cool show on USGC pilots and rescue swimmers and how demanding (and rewarding) the job was.

18. Aug 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Man it is looking good. I am going to reference this thread when I present my idea to my mason. He should find this thread very useful.

19. Aug 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    I needed to put a row of split firebricks (half as thick as a regular firebrick) on the underside of the firebox opening, behind the arch top. I made this little scaffolding with hinged legs. I put mortar on 7 of the split bricks and laid them on top of this, then lifted them all up at once, flipped the hinged legs out, and there it is.

[​IMG]

I also capped off the firebox, so it is now 100% complete. I didn't make this part as neat as the lower part because this will soon be sealed up and never seen again. There are two lintels below the one you can see, and each row of bricks is supported in the middle by them. The bottom of the flue is also supported by the rear lintel, so the flue goes lower than the chimney blocks do.

[​IMG]

20. Aug 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    The show was right....I effing love my job!!

Products Discussed in

To Top