1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Building a New AR-15-what handguard/rail and why?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by SpaceGoat, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:37 AM
    SpaceGoat

SpaceGoat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07DoubleCabSR5
    Bilstien5100s all around, 1 inch blocks rear, Total Chaos UCAs, Body Cab mounts, Pioneer Head unit, 8 inch sub, Wet Okoles
    Just some backround so you guys know where I'm coming from. I used to shoot IPSC-was B class open and Limited( which quickly became Limited-10 due to law change in Hawaii). I had been on a "break" for a few years and kind of out of touch what is cutting edge and am looking for some knowledge. I'm getting back into things and it appears that our local club has some good 3-gun matchs too. So, I am building a new AR. I have some opinions but hey, knowledge is power.

The gun I'm building will be for some limited class rifle/SHTF/my only AR-15...yes I know of "black rifle disease"...but thats my story for now. I ordered a Noveske N4 basic 16 mid lenth complete upper, taking advantage of thier free cosmetic 2nd lower, building the lower with some help, getting a complete lower kit (Magpul CTR, MAID, DD lower kit, buffer kit) but I have no idea on what handguard/rail to get. I've been told many rails are very "fat" with covers and uncomfortable without. I shot an AR with the JP VTAC-very nice and also a 6520 with a Magpul MOE and that was nice. But I'm having trouble deciding. My priority would be the benefits of a free-float tube over having may accessories.

So gun owners who share my Tacoma enthusiasm...what rail/handguard to you like and why?:)

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Are you going to free float it or not? If so, I like the YHM smooth FF hand guard. If not, I'd suggest a Surefire product. Just my $.02. :)

3. Feb 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Im happy with my MCTAR-21 from Midwest industries

4. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    SpaceGoat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07DoubleCabSR5
    Bilstien5100s all around, 1 inch blocks rear, Total Chaos UCAs, Body Cab mounts, Pioneer Head unit, 8 inch sub, Wet Okoles
    Yes free float for accuracy benefit. I've been told to check out Troys Extreme/ Viking VTAC( similar rail just different cutouts). I was told short of the monolithics they are rock solid. I'm not looking to hang too much on it. I find my self shooting ARs with my thumb pointed foward vs using the vertical grip so the bottom rail is not needed. I'd like to have the ability for a light. Frankly if Fenix ever makes a reed switch and mount for my TK40 i'd mount that! And deal with the weight. I'll go check out those u guys mention. UPS won't be delivering my parts til Monday so I have some time still

5. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
  6. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Like I said, I like the YHM smooth FF but Troy, DD and Viking are all top notch.

7. Feb 18, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    sleepdr

sleepdr Active Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR, Black Sand Pearl
    I have Troy, old style Daniel Defense, and most recently Daniel Defense Omega on various ARs.

The Omega rail is, as mentioned above, very nice for an easily installed free float. You don't need to cut off the delta ring or remove the front sight base. They are also easily removed to return your upper to stock configuration, something that I've heard a number of people like for carbines that are issued to them as LE or .mil. It's reasonably light weight and solid, though mine did get a bit loose after some repeated hard blows to the rail. That was easily fixed with a hex wrench.

KAC makes a neat little sling swivel/hand stop that could be a nice tool if you like shooting with a high support hand. It would give a repeatable point of reference without the bulk of a vertical grip.

8. Feb 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    ColdZeroBSP

ColdZeroBSP Yo homie, that my briefcase?

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Tewksbury MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC
    console vault, viper remote start, weathertech front and rears
    As far as quality vs. price Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill are the best IMO. Shooting with covers on the rails does make it a little fatter but it certainly is not uncomfortable. I shoot with a vertical fore grip anyways most of the time.

9. Feb 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    sleepdr

sleepdr Active Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD OR, Black Sand Pearl
    Thickness of rail covers will also make a difference. Some guys like their rails totally covered with panels.

I tend to run ladders instead of panels. They are reasonably comfortable, much lower profile, and may help a bit with cooling by maintaining more exposed metal surface area.

10. Feb 19, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  11. Feb 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    RWS_350MAG

RWS_350MAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    Toytec Ultimate lift, Tailgate anti-theft mod, 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on stock rims, Lakeland Predator Cap, Rear seat headrests removed, Husky Floorliners
  12. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:02 AM
    SpaceGoat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07DoubleCabSR5
    Hey Keason1* thanks for that link-lots of other good info-looks like im going to finish the build, shoot the thing a few times then figure it out. Kinda sure ill be bitten by the BRD bug n build a 2nd rifle, so ill end up with this a KISS/Limited AR-so the DD Omega looking good, then a VTAC on the open/scoped one. Looking at WOA barrel and Meopta 1-4x scope for that one.

13. Feb 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    NP man. I would love to have 2 AR's. one as a HD gun and one as a 100+ yard gun with a good long range scope.

14. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    3 is even better than two. :)

15. Feb 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    you are very right sir:cool: or two carbines and two ar pistols:D

16. Feb 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    or two carbines and 2 ar pistols:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top