1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bully Dog GT-T+ Toyota Tuner

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tcBob, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped

Are you able to use any of the special features?

2. Sep 18, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    ^^ This - plus would also like to know that the results were done with a tune that would be delivered with the unit. The results on the trucks above I am a bit skeptical about, since they are with different octane tunes. Does the unit come with a bunch of those tunes, or were those done just to see how much power can be made? You can always make power boosting up spark and de-sensitizing knock sensors and such, but certainly wouldn't want that on your 92 octane daily driver.

Showing a 30 hp jump on 95 octane doesn't help us know what we would get on pump gas.

3. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM
    tmreyes1

tmreyes1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    I think it should still be the same gains just the smaller pulley will make more HP in general. The tuner does not specify a certain tune for a smaller pulley. Dunno. Can wait to find out. Gotta call BD today when I get home so I can get mine installed

4. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    The 4.0 Tacoma is not supported yet, and the numbers given on the dyno chart are from a 4.0 SC that is stock(not a smaller pulley).

I understand that many of you are skeptical, and are curious about the special features issue. The problem is that there is only one guy on this thread who has actually installed, and unfortunately sfcadams is having issues.
    Hopefully this doesn't come off wrong, but if y'all don't call in with these issues, then there is nothing we can do. I can type on the forum all day, but until we can sit down with you personally and work it out, your issue will probably not be solved. sfcadams, please give us a call so that we can start taking care of you!

5. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Those numbers (after the tune) match up with the video numbers of the modified tacoma with the smaller pulley. I am hugly skepticle now as there is a bunch of numbers being thrown around with conflicting information and facts.

6. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Its not the power claims I am concerned about altho I am suspicious of a little bit of "fluffery", not false numbers just some fluffery in general. But that again is not the concern. My concern is how this is all integrating with the engine and what about people who have modifications done (such as the pulley) No body wants to plug this thing in and that be the thing that leans them out to detonation because it was combined with other modifications.

7. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    Sorry, I was mistaken. Just talked with the engineer and that dyno chart is from the Tacoma with a smaller pulley.
    But they have tested on S/C without the smaller pulley, they just don't have a dyno chart on those runs since those weren't run on our dyno. These trucks will obviously have a lower baseline.

8. Sep 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    There, I feel much better now. I am not sure if you are able to tell me this or not, but are there safeguards or control loops within the programming to compensate for something such as a simple pulley swap? I know you said some power was gained by leaning out the mixture, I want to make sure for myself and others here that are interested, that this combination wont lean out too far. I myself do not have a smaller pulley yet, but there are many on this forum that already do.

9. Sep 18, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    The tune in itself is a safeguard. In the tune we have remained a little conservative for variables such as smaller pulley's, people putting regular gas in on the premium tune, exhausts, things like that to come into play. The "less extreme" aftermarket upgrades and the stubborness of man to be exact.:D
    But,we do tune with a stock Tacoma in mind, and so ANY aftermarket upgrades should be taken into consideration when installing. ANY. As with any aftermarket upgrade, you need to consider the whole picture.

ALSO.
    I made another mistake. I'm pretty good at doing that if you guys haven't noticed yet.
    Earlier I stated that the 4.0 n/a was not supported yet. I was dead wrong. It is live and ready to go. There will be more updates for the 4.0 coming, but for now just enjoy the extra power and features. Check in once in a while to see if there is a Tacoma specific update, and if you hear about one, then go for it. But there is no reason to let this tuner gather dust on your shelf, or your closest dealers shelf. As soon as you want to buy it, they'll be backordered. As soon as you want to install the tune, your internet will go down and you won't be able to update. Murphy's Law folks! ;)

10. Sep 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    tmreyes1

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    Question. Got mine installed and ready to go. There is an option for 2.85 pulley or stock pulley and the other option is stock or premium. How do I set up the tunes? No instructions on that

11. Sep 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Did the special features work?

12. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    tmreyes1

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    Got it t all hooked up. Gonna call tech support so I know how to load the premium tune. Could not find directions on that part.

20130918_211939.jpg

13. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    I am curious of this ability, it allows you to select a tune based on a different pulley size? If so that's a good feature to have. This I feel should be part of their advertisement.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  14. Sep 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    tmreyes1

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    I plan on getting the 2.85 pulley in the future

15. Sep 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    loggyb123

loggyb123 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    boise
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma supercharged
    9.5" lift, supercharged, Doug thorley headers, magnaflow dual exhaust
    I hav e the SC on a 05 and am looking for more. I am considering the urd tcai and the MAF calibrator. Did you get any kind of significant results with yours?

16. Sep 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    Do this Chips works with my FJ cruiser?

17. Sep 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    Not yet...

18. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Are you currently running the TRD SC?

Intake? Exhaust?

19. Sep 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
  20. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM