1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bully Dog GT-T+ Toyota Tuner

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tcBob, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    That's funny, as I live just south of Houston and feel the same way. Around Oct-Nov when I can turn the AC off and the temp cools some, feels like I just put on a power adder of some sort :eek:

Back on the original subject, while Chas has been good about keeping us informed, I am on the sidelines right now until I either; 1) understand more about how they are getting the power gains (timing, fuel, open loop mods, closed loop mods, etc.); or 2) see some NA dynos that justify something that is in the $600-900 price range.

The "up to X HP...." thing is way too much marketing-speak than reality-speak. If a 10-15HP increase can be seen (in reality) for a NA 4.0 then I would seriously consider it, but not until I see more real results, even then not sure unless I understand how they are tuning.

2. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Simply leaning out the fuel is where most of the gains are coming from. There's not much you can change in closed loop, so gains are purely in open loop. The MAF CAL gets similar gains, which tells me that changes in timing are accounting for very little of the gain. I wouldn't buy a BD for its performance gains only, as there are much cheaper ways to gain that power (and have the ability to fine tune, which you can't do with the handheld unit). To me, the extra cost is for all of the other features it can do - if someone wants that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  3. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    That is capable with the MAF-cal, so I could see it possible with this tuner just as well.

Shoot, leaning out the way overly rich OPEN Loop alone would gain quite a bit. From where it is at low 10's AFR to a good low 12's AFR would be a great start, decrease relative fuel consumption (relative to 10's) and increase power. All without even having touched the timing.

EDIT**** ^^^^^ Beat me to it. Lol

4. Sep 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Gents, appreciate the input, but this is all speculation. While we know what some of the "easy" tuning tweaks are, what I want to know is what BD is actually doing. Also, what are the expected gains from the Premium tune on an NA 4.0. The "...up to..." stuff is more then likely for the SC 4.0 and/or the 5.7.

5. Sep 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    First units off the line have been shipped! Thank you TW

6. Sep 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    sfcadams

sfcadams Retired Senior NCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DCSB Prerunner Skeewped
    Haven't received my tracking number yet...

7. Sep 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    I understand, I havent received them yet either (we are pacific time) I do see UPS has picked up the units...

I will call you direct as soon as I have it :)

8. Sep 10, 2013 at 4:19 AM
    sfcadams

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Still no tracking number, just so you are aware...

9. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    DavisBladeWorks

DavisBladeWorks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    I am very interested in this, and I have told a few other people about it....

But, without some info on the system it's hard to know exactly what I'm sharing. Does anyone know a rough estimate of HP gains for a 13 4.0 NA?

Also, what other features are available?

Thanks in advance. :)

10. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Make that badboy available for an 07 and we'll talk greenbacks.

11. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    sfcadams

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    So, who all has ordered one of these and are still waiting on a tracking number?

12. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    SFCAdams, I show your tracking number was emailed at 12:12 last night to an email starting with allmonthlybills. I have PM'ed it to you this morning as well.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help, TAP Auto appreciates your support!

13. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

Coming soon ;)

14. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    sfcadams

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Elizabeth, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Got my tracking number!

Thanks Chas!

15. Sep 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I'm patient. After purchasing LT, bed rack, RTT and sliding bed table I need done time to save my scheckles up.

16. Sep 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    For sure! Keep an eye on this thread, we will be updating as soon as more info comes out

17. Sep 11, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    2009 - 2013 TACOMA ALL V6 4.0 ALL ALL GAS Supercharged

so does this mean if i want to use it on my "stock" 2012 tacoma i would need to have the supercharger?

900bucks isnt too bad for what this thing can do. i wonder if we can use this to tune the engine with the supercharger vs using the stock toyota supercharge flash.

18. Sep 11, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

From what I have heard, at least on the Tundra, you still need the TRD ECU

19. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    Hi everyone! Wesley from Bully Dog here.

I understand that you guys have a whole lot of questions that need answering. I might get in trouble with the forum for stating this (sorry!) but there is another forum that one of our guys has been on for a while now. We didn't ask him to, he just saw the thread and hopped on it. Unfortunately he doesn't have the time to reanswer a whole bunch of questions, so I'm going to recommend checking out that thread (It's on TT, and has been in the active topics section for the last few weeks so you should still see it there) but I am also willing to answer questions on here.
    Please keep in mind that I won't be able to answer questions all at once and/or immediately, especially if you bomb me with a thousand! But I'll do my best. :)

Just from reading through the thread real quick I saw some stipulation about how we're getting the extra horses. I can't tell you anything about how the engineers are getting the power. If I do, the engineers will get mad, and next time you hear from me will be when you toss a coin in my cup. I can tell you that it is more than just the a/f ratio, and that we're constantly discovering new maps in the ecm that unlock more power.

So let's do this!

20. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Well Wesley, glad to have you aboard. Since I had posed one of the concerns about what y'awl are doing to get the gains, I will add a bit.

1) Keep in mind I am trying to justify Chas' price, with the capability of the device. For me I don't need specifics (I worded my post wrong) as I understand that the specifics are proprietary. BUT, I do expect to have a reasonable general description of what optimizations BD makes. This is so that when something else happens I can understand if the BD is any part of a problem, and also understand if any other mod I make might have a good/bad affect on my truck.

2) The general HP numbers are fine, but are marketing driven (i.e., "up to...") as I would like some specific info for my truck, 09 Tacoma 4.0 NA. With only the marketing numbers I don't know what to expect for my truck. And with a $900 retail, I need to know if the premium tune only gives me 5HP because I only have a NA 4.0, and not SC'd nor a 5.7.

3) I understand that the BD value come from performance, extended gauges, obdii reader, and settings modifications. Dowside for BD in my case is that I already have a Scangauge and the PC-based VCI reader, so for me it's performance justification, which is hard to do without further data.

Products Discussed in

To Top