1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bully Dog GT-T+ Toyota Tuner

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by tcBob, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    bamufflers

bamufflers Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5
    DirtyDeedsIndustries long travel, King coil overs with King bypass up front. 3X16 triple bypass kings out back to dampen the Deaver SUA pack. Long tube headers with full race exhaust system. Too much to list.
    Great to have you here Wesley. I will post up a link to my review ASAP. Love your product man!!

2. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    I have concerns about using the tunes on my already modified Supercharged Tacoma.

I understand that BD has datalogging, will there be a service where we can send datalogs and get custom tunes?

3. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

Thank you for joining us here over on TacomaWorld. Its great to have the support from Bully Dog on all the forums. :) I wish we could get Lyle over here to answer Tacoma specific questions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. Sep 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID

No problem! I can be vague. :p

1) The trucks have a whole bunch limiters, and many of them aren't necessarily safety limiters. Part of what we do is removing limiters, which in turn allows more air to the engine. We are also leaning it out a bit, as well as changing around the timing. I can't be much more specific than that. The engineers have been working on this for years so the details are a pretty touchy subject to them! But a big thing is removing limiters, (keep in mind, the one's we are removing or adjusting will not be a danger, or even make the truck less safe than originally).

2) Bully Dog is actually against the whole idea of "up to..." generalization. It's the kind of phrasing you see on box chip on ebay selling for 20.00. If you have seen or heard something like that, it probably wasn't from us. We normally give a range. We've actually not had a n/a Tacoma in for a little while, so the tune is a little behind on horsepower gains compared to our other tunes. Right now I can say that it will at least get you 10 hp. But, when tuning the TRD engines, the engineers stumbled upon some maps. Long story short, they found the maps in the Tacoma tuning as well, and it (should) add substantial gains to that.

3) This isn't the only place value is coming from. As you know, we are the ONLY people with a tuner for the Toyota. This is revolutionary. This is new. This is unique. This is Bully Dog! For a limited time, people have the opportunity to be a part of something huge. An opportunity to be part of the first crowd to ever tune their Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if in less than a year everyone takes tuning a Toyota for granted, but we/you know the real story and how big of a deal it really is. We offer special features that no one else can offer, (no one else can actually offer anything!) and power gains that no one else can touch either, (unless of course you get a custom tune). We both know that modules will almost always get detuned after a certain amount of time, and it's just not the proper way to tune an engine. Not trying to bash our "competition", but there are reasons behind us not just building a module for the Toyota! We offer the gauge monitoring to monitor load, coolant, etc. as you mentioned, and something many people seem to just throw off to the side until they actually own the GT is the watchdog economy control. This "rates" your driving on a scale that you personalize by setting a fuel economy goal. It will rate you as an A, B, C, D, or F. This lets you know if you're accelerating too hard, braking too hard, and will let you know you're idle time.
    Long story short, the guys who get this tuner in the first month will be the ones setting the pace for everyone else. This IS a product that will eventually be accepted as a routine aftermarket upgrade. Lift? Check. Tires? Check. Tuner? Check. It's just a matter of time.
    You've all been asking for a tuner, and so we gave you a tuner. That simple. So it's your move now.

I hope that helps answer a few questions.

No, for now we will not be offering custom tunes. Believe it or not, (and please don't be offended!) compared to the whole market, the guys who would be desiring custom tunes is much much MUCH less than the average Tacoma or Tundra driver who just wants a little extra power.(Believe it or not, but most owners don't even have an account on the forum. Weird, right?) Most people don't want to deal with custom tunes, and the thought of it might even deter some. So for now, it isn't part of the plan.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    If you start asking Lyle vehicle specific questions, somehow he'll find a way to talk about his Cummins. ;)

I'll do my best to answer all Tacoma specific questions, and I won't even talk about my Jeep... ;)

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Completely understood and not offended :).

I am still considering the purchase regardless, just for the other goodies and the possibility that the tune will work with my aftermarket parts.

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    czwhat

czwhat Member

Member:
    The UPS man dropped mine off today and got it installed. Haven't had much time to test but it does pull harder now.

8. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    zeekevin

zeekevin Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Another general question. Will each unit be locked to the truck/ecu that it is used on? As a security measure incase it gets stolen?

9. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

Yes, that is how the current GT tuners work. You would have to "unmarry" it

10. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    tmreyes1

tmreyes1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    Is there a special TW price?

11. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    bamufflers

bamufflers Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Escondido
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5
    DirtyDeedsIndustries long travel, King coil overs with King bypass up front. 3X16 triple bypass kings out back to dampen the Deaver SUA pack. Long tube headers with full race exhaust system. Too much to list.
  12. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    BD Wesley

BD Wesley Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Aberdeen, ID
    Yeah, to elaborate a little more...(In simple, non-engineering terms)

The tuner will read your ecm, and then grab the stock files and put them on the tuner. Then, it rewrites the ecm with new files(the better files!). So you can unplug the GT and the tune will still be installed. If someone was to reach in and steal the actual GT, that's all they would get. The tune would still be in the truck.
    So, that's where the "married" part comes in.
    If you were to steal one(I make no assumptions of your character;) ) and try to put it on your Tacoma, it would come up saying vin locked, which means it is installed on another vehicle.
    To put it on another vehicle, you must first completely uninstall from the first. This keeps us in business. :p

13. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Good to know :thumbsup:

14. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    zeekevin

Member:
    San Diego
    awesome. i was worried about those bad guys that would do a smash and grab and would think it would work on their truck.

15. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    zeekevin

Member:
    San Diego
    hmm another general question with the data logging. will the end user and or a tuner be able to create their own custom tune/map based off the data logs and upload it thru the bd tuner?

16. Sep 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Read post 105

17. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    zeekevin

Member:
    San Diego
    lol thanks. i need to get a new phone with a bigger screen

18. Sep 13, 2013 at 6:03 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC

19. Sep 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    tmreyes1

tmreyes1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T-Rey
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD
    How will the tune be with an aftermarket pulley say the URD 2.85? Would that affect anything with the bully dog if the pulley is added after the tune?

20. Sep 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    The youtube video that Bully Dog showed I believe had a smaller pulley and it worked just fine... :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top