1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bump in the...garage

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by crashdb, May 22, 2023.

1. May 22, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    crashdb

crashdb [OP] I break chainsaws

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    You're bored at work and looking for a challenge:

I have been casually looking for a solution for quite a while. None of the results have checked all of the boxes. Here's what we're working with:

Currently, I have two Dayton (I think) in-wall speakers. I love them. No change necessary. The part of the system is a Grace DigitalGDI-BTAR252 Bluetooth amplifier. For the most part love that too. I've been using this to stream audio from my phone in the garage for years. Great budget solution. Highly recommended if you don't care about the OCD I'm about to spring.

I hate all the visible wires. There's an AC adapter for the amplifier. There's speaker wire from the amplifier to the speaker terminals (wall plate). The amplifier is Velcroed to the bottom of a cabinet. It drives me crazy.

So I've been searching for an in-wall solution. Something where you just see a wall panel and nothing else.

You would think this would be easy. You would be wrong.

I have found many overseas solutions off dubious websites. I would actually give them a shot, but the problem is power. Any I could find would require an AC adapter or another solution that would not pass code in the U.S. So those are out.

I found a couple made by Pyle. It's a more complete solution, but they still require an AC adapter to run outside the wall. They're also not reliable and it also appears they're being discontinued.

Another solution would be an in-wall system made for an RV. But that also presents the power problem seen above. And possibly worse because it would need a convertor as well. So out.

Getting so close....

Monoprice has something. Seems to be unreliable, not really made for the U.S. market, and a pain to install. And as usual, the power supply is an issue.

What?! I finally find something. It fulfills all my wants! Oh yes, I did!

It's the OEM Systems MS-21. It's very nice. Has a solution for running 110v power directly to it. It's also expensive. And has waaaaaaaay more capability then I require. Back burner then. Manufacturer doesn't have anything cheaper that works.

All this to ask the community if they're aware of a solution that would work. Or have better Google-Fu than I do. I'm basically looking for a very scaled down version of the OEM systems device. I just need in-wall, 100% hideable wiring, decent output wattage, and Bluetooth. FM capability would be nice, but not necessary.

May the odds be forever in your favor....

2. May 22, 2023 at 11:06 AM
    Hayden334

Hayden334 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Cullman, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    2" spacer lift, 285/70 R17's and a Softopper.
  3. May 22, 2023 at 11:34 AM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    It not to code. I looked into doing something similar with a Pyle-branded wall plate amplifier. I don't remember all the reasons why, but my electrician friend said nope.

4. May 22, 2023 at 12:15 PM
    Hayden334

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Cullman, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Free men don't ask :oldglory:

5. May 22, 2023 at 12:45 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    They may not ask, but they have to answer when the garage burns down.

doublethebass likes this.
  6. May 22, 2023 at 1:01 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Why not get a battery powered shop radio ie: Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch, Festool, Makita, or whatever? NO wires. Build a small shelf for it. Put the charger and extra battery out of sight or directly in front of a plug with all excess plug wire hidden behind it???

7. May 22, 2023 at 1:08 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    Mostly because there's nothing functionally wrong with what I have. The rest is because I'm somewhat of a gadget freak, a little OCD, and a lot ridiculous.

8. May 22, 2023 at 1:15 PM
    PacoDevo

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, but I guess I don't understand why you need something different after reading your response.

Festool (FM and Aux also) with a Milwaukee flashlight for scale as an example. I also have a Bosch (Has AM, FM, Aux, and CD) and a Milwaukee speaker with Blutooth (and Aux) ability.PXL_20230522_200709706~2.jpg

RedDemolisher likes this.
  9. May 22, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    I guess the simple answer is I want a cleaner solution.

Hayden334 likes this.
  10. May 22, 2023 at 1:21 PM
    Hayden334

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Cullman, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Lol, you're right there. Now that I read that it kind of sounds like I was being an ass :rofl:I wasn't.
    I don't have to worry about that where I live and understand home wiring. I mean its 3 simple wires and slim to none chance of burning your shop down.

11. May 22, 2023 at 1:22 PM
    PacoDevo

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I will quit after this......how is a battery powered system not "clean"?? Can't get much more simple and it is portable - move wherever you want it. My Festool is in the living room as I type this. Had it in my office when I was tying flies. Use it in my garage and even outside. Bosch is in my shop. Milwaukee is up camp (use it inside and outside).

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide on.

Hayden334 likes this.
  12. May 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    It's all good!

Hayden334[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 22, 2023 at 1:24 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    I drive a Miata.
    I don't get it. Why not build a cabinet for the amp and run in-wall conduit for the speakers? That's what I do for everything in my house.

Bivouac likes this.
  14. May 22, 2023 at 1:27 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    The first answer is that I went through the trouble of mounting speakers within the walls and running the wire down to another location. So I'd like to continue using them, just in a different manner.

There's nothing wrong with the cordless stuff, it's just not quite what I'm looking for.

Since a picture is worth a word or two, here's what I'm working with:

PXL_20230522_202051354.jpg
    PXL_20230522_202056152.jpg

15. May 22, 2023 at 1:29 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
  16. May 23, 2023 at 3:20 AM
    Zuba Gooding Jr

Zuba Gooding Jr Well-Known Member

Member:
    BUZZKILLLLLLLL

Hayden334 likes this.
  17. May 27, 2023 at 4:59 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    i get it, audio quality matters to some of us, and the little battery speakers don't cut it!

my first thought is the cabinet shelf idea already mentioned. stuff everything in upper/lower cabinet dedicated to the purpose. code allows outlets in cabinets for dedicated devices. the main benefit here is that the mess is confined to a single cabinet, and things are easily changed if a part goes bad.

next idea is a low voltage enclosure, or 'structured wiring enclosure'. many can be flush-mounted in drywall, and have NEC-approved outlet options in the bottom for electrical needs. they're normally designed for 2x4 wall depth, so depending on what you're running into them, you can have issues with space.
    this is just one example. 'structured wiring enclosure', or add 'flush mount' to those terms should net most results.
    https://www.amazon.com/Steren-FastHome-Flush-Mount-Enclosure/dp/B000EHPIYW.

disadvantage is going to be controlling the devices within. most aren't designed to be constantly opened/closed, and imo, are only barely more aesthetic than seeing the wiring. you could get adventurous and cut access holes for specific equipment, or extend wiring for the amp knobs for control. but if the gear ever goes bad, it means re-doing it all, possibly the door, and a high likelyhood they suddenly don't make that exact size anymore. i've done the cabinet idea in the past, as access later via the flush-mount enclosure like that is questionable for reliability.

18. May 27, 2023 at 5:05 PM
    soundman98

soundman98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '18 Taco Sport, '14 Ranger
    after seeing the pictures, and seeing the grace digital mounted under a cabinet, i would suggest running everything into the cabinet, about 6" from the bottom, add some holes through the cabinet bottom to run wiring to the grace digital box and thermometer box. adding a cabinet-color painted cover over the top of the plugs and wiring would further hide the mess from standard view. with some wiremold products available at most hardware stores, you should be able to hide even the thermometer low voltage wiring going up to the cabinet as well, paint it wall color, and you'll notice it even less.

19. May 27, 2023 at 6:42 PM
    crashdb

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    Thanks for the ideas! The weather deal is supposed to have been moved, but I always forget to do it. So that's one down.

I'll look into some of the other options you suggested. I may do a hybrid solution.

soundman98[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. May 30, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Would something like this or this not work for you? Granted, you'll still need an external amp. You'd just need to run speaker wire in your ceiling or wall and drop to the amp. You can keep the amp/receiver in the house or conditioned space that shares a common wall. You can also configure blutooth triggers to automatically turn on/off & control your amp. No need to run power through a wall. You will however, probably need to add an outlet if your cabinet or location of choice doesn't come prewired. Fishing wire through your walls and ceilings aren't as difficult as you might think, especially if they run parallel to your joists or if you have access to the crawlspace/attic. Amp would cost roughly around 200ish bucks, depending on what you go with. You dont really need home theater quality amp but dont let me sway you one way or another. Another option is to do a full audio rack that could control garage speakers and outdoor speakers on two separate zones (or more). I wouldn't go that option since it doesn't seem like that's what you want.

You should get more audio fidelity range out of in-wall speakers over in-ceiling speakers as the ones mounted to the ceiling typically only have a woofer and tweater. If you're getting into crossovers then you're getting to the price of an in-wall speaker that you should've just went with in the first place. But they will both sound good in an open garage space than nothing unless you start carpeting the concrete floor and putting up sound breaks on your walls. Hope this helps.

-J

To Top