1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bump Stops required?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JJ04TACO, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Sep 23, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I have Dakar leafs out back. When I did the lift I never addressed the bump stops. I just left the factory ones in place. Never had a noticeable issue.

Now I'm doing a u-bolt flip which will eliminate those. I've seen some options out there but what happens if I simply run no bump stops? At least for a while until I can address the issue?

I'm installing Fox shocks out back (and front) soon with a BAMF shock mount. If I run no stops do I risk blowing a shock? That seems like the obvious issue, and there could be others. I never addressed the fronts either...

Advice?

2. Sep 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    From a purely logic and reason standpoint, I'd say you have a valid concern. The bump stops are there as a protective measure. Removing the bump stops removes that protection. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand, if you never put yourself in a situation where you need them, then you'll probably be okay without them.

Edit: I usually default to the safe side: get bump stops.

Beee1985 likes this.
  3. Sep 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I agree 100%. I'll be sure to do them before I wheel. I've already spent too much on shocks and relocation brackets...

Products Discussed in

To Top