1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumpers and bedliner

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MDFM31, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, DE
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    I just saw an episode of mythbusters where they tested the durability of bedliner. They painted half of a car and crashed it into stuff, and the bedliner side fared very well. They also built 2 wood framed walls and 2 concrete walls, and painted one of each with bedliner and left the other in it's natural finish as a control. They put a block of C4 5 feet away from the wood framed walls and it demolished the normal one. The bedlined wall didn't even have a scratch. Same thing happened with the concrete, only they used a lot more C4. Anyway, this got me to thinking: I'm wanting an aluminum relentless bumper for MPG purposes, but am wary of aluminum. Obviously, I'm talking about painting it with bedliner. Just bouncing the idea off some heads. Seems like a pretty good one to me.

It may not save my life in an 80mph head on with a tractor trailer, but it seems like it could help against trees, deer, passenger cars and j walkers. Anyone with a physics background?

I have read a lot on here about bumpers being too strong that the frame will take the damage, and if you are in that bad of an accident you are lucky to be alive anyway etc...and aluminum is just going to bend and so on.

As I recall, bedliner is somewhat flexible. I think this would be advantageous and here is why:

Pistol frames: stiff steel vs. flexible plastic. From what I've read, a plastic framed gun is much more durable then a steel one because it can absorb much of the recoil energy and bounce back to it's original form. Now that I think of it, I have an aluminum (scandium-aluminum alloy, really) gun and they are considered to be less durable then either steel or plastic. Damn.

I still like the idea of the bedlined aluminum bumper. Could it be the best of both worlds?

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    MDFM31

MDFM31 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, DE
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSBOR
    This also makes we wonder about bedlining the frame for corrosion protection. I've used a couple different paints and none of them hold up. That would be big money though for all the prep work. I've spent enough time on that frame.

To Top