1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bumpy vibration at 5-10mph. Old/new tires same result...Any ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bruce1271, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    bruce1271

bruce1271 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have an 05 Prerunner double cab long bed with 91k miles on it. I drive it mostly highway miles and noticed that recently as i slowed down and drifted at idle, the truck would feel like it was ridign over a brick road. Bouncing up and down about 3 times a second and would continue until I fall out of that speed range. If I put the truck in neutral, It would continue as well, but eventually stop because the truck would fall below 5mph. This just started the last 3-5k miles. My tires had 55k miles on them(michelin LTX MS) so I went today and bought 4 new Michelin LTX MS2. Well, different tires, same shiat.
    Anyone experience this? Could it be the new tires are bad as well? Or could it be the drive shaft? rear axle? U joints? The steering wheel doesn't vibrate and the front wheels feel, ok through the steering wheel, so i am thinking its more the rear.
    Everything is stock, and have I have never had anything replaced/re-done. Only oil changes every 3k miles.

2. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:11 AM
    bruce1271

Member:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I just tested my shocks and they seem good. I jumped from the tailgate and there was no oscillations. Just came up and stopped. The vibration I feel feels more frequent and small than what shocks would absorb I believe. It feels like when you run over those edge of the highway vibration grooves at 10mph. maybe not quite as deep, but something similar to that.
    The Michelins were pretty good. I got 55k miles on the originals. The new MS2's supposedly have longer tread life(70k warranty) and better heat dissipation. Being in Texas, i need that. At highway speeds they are smooth. I also hit pently of curbs in parking lots, etc with the old ones and the sidewall withstood the dings. Also, no flats on my other one over 2 1/2 years. I wish the new ones had better white raised letters. The word michelin is a little small for the tire I think.

I hate this vibration thing..ugh.

3. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Check the u joints.

4. Nov 21, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    bruce1271

Member:
    See anything wrong? Only thing I see is perhaps the tire is moving in a non perfect round motion. Follow one of the inside grooves and see it move at low speeds. Not sure though. Any comments? Speed was 0-40mph. I felt the vibration/bumpyness at around 5mph.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJZgEDTt7L4

5. Nov 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I could not tell from the vid. I was getting dizzy watching it spin.
    Usually a slow speed vibration is pinion angle, but you say the truck is stock and I assume not lifted.
    So I would lean to the U-joints or suspension bushings moving a lot more than new.
    Great job getting that vid. very solid mounting of the camera!!!

6. Nov 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    bruce1271

Member:
    Thanks guys. Well, after the tires, I am going to the next thing on the list. The Ujoints. And as well, the joint closest to the yoke was bad. So, I am replacing all 3 joints. 1/2 way done. Hope this solves my issue. Will replace the rear diff oil after this as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Update: Replaced all 3 joints and the bumpyness I was feeling is completely gone. Smooth as a truck could be(nothing compared to my G Friends BMW 5 series, but hey. She cant go over curbs and park at in the grass at soccer games now can she?).

DSC04613.jpg

To Top