1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bungie's Destiny

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PcBuilder14, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Dec 18, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    One of the differentiating things that D1 had over D2 is everything basically looks the same D2. I realize that seems like a petty thing to complain about but in a way it holds a lot of value to some (myself included). D1 had specific raid armor that was unique and if you saw someone in the tower wearing it you knew they had done whatever raid was out at the time. Same thing with Trials. If you were wearing Flawless Trials armor you knew that they had gone to the Lighthouse. Now the raid armor looks just about the same as any other armor and you literally have to inspect someone to see what they have done. Same thing with Trials. I had a full set on on both my WL and my Hunter in D1 and D2 but I can damn near guarantee the average player didn't even know what it was in D2. Not so with D1... You knew when someone had been to the Lighthouse.

2. Dec 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    I think one of the best things about D1 was the mystery. How many hours did people pour into VoG searching for things. Plus there was the ghost collecting (which that seems to be back). I miss that the most.

And to your point that was cool to see people in the tower with all VoG armor. I remember it took me fooooooorever to the get the helmet.

I wish you could still solo things too. That’s another thing I liked about D1 better than current.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  3. Dec 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I miss that also. I ran VoG 156 times just because it was that good (to me). TTK almost just as many times.

The Last Wish is a great raid no doubt. I really like it a lot but I’ve already got everything I can get out of it. Now part of that is luck on my part because I got the rolls on the armor that I wanted and all the curated weapons. That isn’t a fault of Bungie that I got lucky.

I’ll still solo the NF (obviously not going for a high score) but yeah... I do miss soloing things. You can still solo strikes on PS4 (not sure about Xbox) by setting the date on your PS4 back a month or so.
    So with bugs like getting the last shot on the boss to gain access to the forge isn’t an issue. I got lucky with that since I burned through that and was one of the first ones there so I didn’t have to fight anyone over that step of the quest.

4. Dec 19, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    This, right fucking here, is what I'm talking about with this Goddamn game. It is fucking broken. Exotics weighted against what you have already received??? Bullshit.

[​IMG]

I was bored today and decided to fuck around in the game and this is what I get. Bungie said they wanted it to feel special when an exotic dropped. Well... it worked. I feel especially pissed at the fucking moment. Fuck this game. February can't come soon enough.

5. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Feb is anthem right? I finally watched a trailer for that after you guys talking about it. Looks pretty good.

6. Dec 19, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Yeah. That's when Anthem comes out. I've had my eye on it since it was announced and, with a little hope, it's going to turn out to be a good game. At first I was put off since EA is publishing it and they don't have the best customer track record. But, the more I've looked into it the better it's looking. Once I found out that they took all the major players from Bioware off of the last Mass Effect to work on Anthem it made a lot more sense why the last Mass Effect game sucked so bad. Anthem has been in development for over six years now so here's to hoping it's going to be good.

The on thing I can say about Bioware is they have been putting out videos every week or so and they are being extremely transparent with everything that they are talking about. The game looks amazing and if it plays as good as it looks then hopefully I'll have a new home there.

7. Dec 19, 2018 at 6:24 PM
    robu

robu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob1224
    Cottonwood, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport debadged
    kings front and rear 3" expedition deaver pack 700lbs in front. lighted 4x4 switch and fixed temp console
    Since I played the alpha a couple of weeks ago I can tell you that it is amazing! controls were pretty instinctive and had no trouble with flight or weapons. granted it was very limited but I got a really good idea of how the game is going to play. the videos that the developers are putting out are great as well and really are helping build a great player base. also no pvp:amen:

RearViewMirror likes this.
  8. Dec 19, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I think PvP is coming sometime down the road but I think it will be a while before they do. They will have to look at Destiny and see how to do weapon / class balancing to see what to do and what not to do. I will give Destiny credit for trying something that has never been done before in a FPS. Meld PvE and PvP in a seamless package and at least "try" to make it work. But... in the end I just don't think it's worked out all that well. PvP was in a pretty good spot a few months ago but it's starting to go back downhill with the introduction of a few new weapons. PvP is by far my favorite part of Destiny but that's just personal preference.
    But at this point in time I sure as fuck don't give a shit about Destiny or what happens to it. It can eat shit for all I care.

The one nice thing about no PvP is no weapon nerfs. That will be nice for a change.

9. Dec 19, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Oh also one thing on this. At least you get exotics. I have two characters at 550 now and I’ve gotten one exotic so far. Yes one. It’s that huckleberry machine gun.

10. Dec 19, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Hahahahaha. @RearViewMirror boy were you right about golden gun and gambit.

Keep in mind I suck at this game. So this number is probably nothing to you. But it’s big to me. I just got 17 guardian kills in one match. One of those rounds I wiped the full team +1.

def67, El Duderino and RearViewMirror like this.
  11. Dec 20, 2018 at 4:35 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    @robu

I meant to ask you earlier.... Is Josh planning on picking up Anthem also? I know a lot of us are switching over once it comes out.

12. Dec 20, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    So...destiny is going emo now? Anyone do the blind well and cash in their offering this week?

If you haven’t done it, cash in your offering, collect the loot chest then head over the the purplish table looking thing to the right and lean in closer for a revealing cut scene.

dtaco06 likes this.
  13. Dec 20, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I've only gotten 3 (that hasn't been a quest tied too it) since Forsaken dropped. Now that said... Before Forsaken in year one I'd get one or two random exotics a day so that was stupid in the opposite direction. Especially since they were static rolls. At the very least, now when exotics drop, they have random rolls on them so I'll give them that. But I feel your pain my friend.

Up until TBA came out I played a lot. And I mean a lot. This is just how many hours I have on my Hunter alone. This doesn't even take into account my WL or Titan. So since the beginning of D2 I've got well over 3500 hours in the game. I had even more in D1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exotic drop rate was supposed to be raised slightly since The Forsaken dropped because there were so many complaints about the low drop rates of exotics. I personally haven't noticed a difference. My issue with shit like this is when they specifically say that you shouldn't get duplicate exotics to drop since they have a system in place that weighs the exotics you've already received against the ones you haven't and you still get the same fucking exotics. Then you add that to the RNG pool and it is just a shitty system. I've got friends that I play with that have every new exotic in the game since Forsaken dropped and I can't get shit and I've obviously played more than anyone in the clan by a fucking long shot. So I've never been a big fan of RNG based games and that has always been a criticism of mine since the D1 days.
    I remember the first time I got carried through VoG I got the GH to drop. Everyone was pissed that I got it on my first time and I was being carried through the raid. This was before sites like the100.io came along and you had to rely on a LFG site. I didn't know these fuckers that I was playing with and I felt like I had done something wrong since I didn't know what the fuck I was doing in the raid at all and I end up getting the GH to drop. So my first time through VoG I had a really negative experience even though I ended up with a good drop.

That kind of leads me into another criticism of the game. There is no good way to group up with people in the game. You have to rely on outside sources to be able to find a group. I played with a few people from Tacoma World for a while and some left early in the game and some were happy with just running strikes, bounties, and the occasional raid. I always wanted the most out of the game because I thought it had the potential to be a really good game. Whoever came up with the100.io was a fucking genius. It allowed me to create my own clan with people that had the same goals in the game that I did. And to that end I've made some really good friends in the game and even met a couple in person. Hell... one of my best friends comes from this game and he lives outside of DC but we talk everyday and I've been lucky to meet him multiple times when we were on vacation in DC the last two years.
    That said... Destiny isn't the only game that suffers from that. The Division has a similar circumstance IIRC. Since The Division is Destiny's only real competition in the shared world shooter space it isn't much better as far as finding groups to play with. I didn't spend nearly as much time in The Division as I ever did Destiny so they may have changed the way their system works? I dunno?

But to get back to the exotics... There is a simple way to fix shit like this. Give the player a path to gain access to these weapons / armor. Not just a few specific exotic items. ALL exotic items. And fuck Xur... He should have never been in the game to begin with. I'll always be of the opinion you should have to actually EARN your items. But that's what RNG gets you... a simple path to get items you didn't actually earn. That's one reason it has never bothered me that there are specific weapons locked behind PvE or PvP content. No one forces you to play those activities. But if you want those weapons... you know how to get them. There is no RNG involved. If you decide not to do it then that is your decision. That's why I went after the Redrix and Luna's Howl. Because I wanted them and I knew how to get them.

Every MMO I have ever played has given you a specific path to go down to get the items you want. The better the item the harder the path. I'm perfectly fine with that. Now... how they would implement that system I've no idea since Destiny is a pseudo MMO? When playing a MMO you know what drops and from where. But it takes a group of people to get those items and only one specific item drops from a boss in a raid encounter for instance. We always used a DKP system and when it was your turn to get that specific item, from that specific boss, in that specific raid, you got that item. It encouraged you to play the game, it made you happy when you got what you had been working for, and... it made you happy when others in your group got what they were going for. So it was a win all the way around for everyone. It also created close ties to the people that you played with because you had to rely on everyone to 1: Be good at the game and your class that you were playing and 2: You knew who you could rely on to get through the content that you wanted to clear. That sounds elitist and... it actually is. But it appeals to the competitive nature in my personality. That's not to say we never helped anyone though what we were doing. But if we actually had our raid nights set up (usually Fri. and Sat. since it took that long to clear some of the raids) we only played with those that we knew we could rely on. That was a hard group to break into since you basically had to prove your worth in the group. But once you made it in, you were in. And there was satisfaction in that accomplishment alone.

Hey man... 17 kills is no joke. And anytime you can get a full team wipe then it feels great. The most I ever got was 36 in one match but that certainly isn't the norm. There are games where we run up against a good team and I might get 10 kills if I'm lucky. Then there are teams that have no idea what they are doing and I'll go to town on them. But yeah... to me.. if you're invading it's really hard to beat Golden Gun. Good job brother!

14. Dec 20, 2018 at 6:02 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I quit doing the Blind Well a while back when the rewards started being sub par. I know there is lore behind it but I just clicked through it. That bad huh?

15. Dec 20, 2018 at 6:41 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Im down man, ever since I got it fired up I have only been on once though since I have been hit with finishing the final touches on moving. My name is Chris Loose on the network, hit me up.

dtaco06 likes this.
  16. Dec 20, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    One other thing I forgot to mention. We usually run a specific loadout when we play Gambit. That's not to say it's the best loadout but it's what works for us as a team. The thing is... you can run many different strats in Gambit and a lot of them hold value. We don't run Tether but Tether can be an awesome super for creating orbs for those in your group. So if you have a hunter running Tether with the Rigs, they will most likely get their super back, they will create a shit ton of orbs for the team, and multiple supers can be used throughout the match which can be clutch. But the Hunter running Tether should never be the one invading unless they are a god with getting invasion kills. The only downside to Tether is if you die before you are able to pick up the orbs then you're basically screwed. That is the reason we run our loadout. We run an extremely fast paced game and it's all about burning down the Primeval. Tether can't help with that portion of the fight. It might create some orbs for your team at the end but any group that knows how to burn the Primeval fast, you'll never catch them. But Tether is definitely an option and if used correctly can really help the team.

Just experiment with loadouts and what fits your team best.

17. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Not bad at all. Do the blind well, present the offering, go through the portal thing and collect your loot where the Queen usually sits. As you turn around to leave, look to the right for a purplish “baryon bough” looking table thing and approach. When it says lean closer, press square and watch the cut scene.

I’m not giving secrets away.

18. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:33 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I might have to try it then. I usually just zone out of those parts as I'm usually inspecting the loot. Thanks :thumbsup:

19. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I ran it last night and after the cut scene I was like “huh...that’s interesting. Wonder where this is going...?”

20. Dec 20, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I might log in today and run it. It usually only takes 15 mins or so now that everyone can do the tier 4 blind well.

To Top