1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bungie's Destiny

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PcBuilder14, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 TRD Off Road *Sold*
    Hey, as long as you're enjoying the game that's all that matters. You still have some great experiences to play through with the Dreaming city.

I'm just looking at the larger picture. I hope you still have a game to play in the future because to me the future of Bungie looks bleak now. It was bad when Activision was involved. Now that there is no safety net for Bungie I just don't see much of a future for it. I do know that Bungie can not do it by themselves otherwise they wouldn't have partnered with Activision. There are only a handful of publishers out there now and I don't see anyone picking Destiny up because of the volatility that surrounds the game. As much as I personally hate the game in its current state, I hope it succeeds. I just don't see it happening without a hail mary from somewhere. I feel bad for the talented people that work for Bungie because there are some REALLY talented people behind the scenes. It's the disconnect from what people want out of the game and those that make the decisions for the game. They just aren't listening. Bungie could take a page from Digital Extreme's playbook and see how a player base wants to be treated.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Jan 10, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I bet Bioware are shitting themselves with glee at the moment. Destiny will no longer be a threat to their franchise once the game is released.

3. Jan 10, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Yup. When you don't listen to your player base and you lose the trust of your player base this is what you get.

4. Jan 10, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    dtaco06

dtaco06 Strawberry abuser

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP AC PR / 07 4Runner
    Biggest thing I've been enjoying is crucible, there aren't as many "advanced" players anymore so I've been doing a lot better, hahaha. Or I've just gotten better at staying alive. Could go either way with that one. Still cannot for the life of me get head shots on demand with a hand cannon so it's taking awhile to finish off the precision kills portion of Luna, but in the meantime I've reset my valor rank 3x and I'm about halfway through the 4th time just from playing in competitive.

5. Jan 10, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I imagine that it's a bit of both. Most of the major players have left for other games. That said... The more you play the better you get. I played PvP the most in Destiny 1 & 2. When I first started playing PvP in Destiny I sucked balls. But the more I played the better that I got. Good enough to eventually go flawless 8 times in each game. Once you get the Luna's getting the Redrix should be easy since you have reset your rank that many times in one season. Getting the pulse rifle kills will be easy with the Bygones. It's worth the grind for the Redrix but there is a learning curve to using it. I would suggest using it in PvE before you take it into PvP so you can get the hang of it. You just have to look at it like two different guns. Once you get the first headshot go ham with it and mow through anything in your path. Nothing can compete with it when Desperado is proc'd. The TTK is the best in the game and it's just fun to play with.

dtaco06 likes this.
  6. Jan 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out for sure. TBH, other than funding the development cycle, doing some marketing, and dealing with the distribution channels, really not sure what a publisher does. Much of that is already in place. Most companies these days don't run their own data centers, so Bungie would just have to take on the contracts for the existing infrastructure.

So, there's still unreleased content that was funded by Activision, who expected to get their money back through game purchase and Annual Pass revenues. Plus, there may have already been significant investment in D3 - 4 that Activision won't get back. It would be interesting to see how they balance those books. It sounds to me like Activision probably got to a break-even point, or somewhere close, and knows it isn't going the right direction to make any further investment a good business decision. Let Bungie out of the contract, move on. If Bungie thinks they can keep it going, then great.

I honestly don't think Activision had much to do with the direction of the actual game other than setting dates and pushing in Eververse. While this may have had an effect on the game quality a bit, I don't think it was much -- I don't think Bungie was being held back by Activision on things they wanted to do with the game otherwise, other than just not having enough time to recover from mid-dev cycle fuck ups to hit their dates with a finished game (not really Activision's fault).

Anyway, I would say we will see one of 2 things: The game craters quickly and dwindles through the last couple of seasons and disappears because Bungie can't respond quickly enough, or Bungie finds a sugar daddy to help them make quick adjustments and right the ship. Basically, if they think they can wait through the next 2 seasons before making any significant adjustments, they are sunk. And they will be distracted for some time trying to work out this deal.

The guys at Activision are not dummies. I think they just wiped a turd from their ass.

RearViewMirror likes this.
  7. Jan 10, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 BRO-UNIT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chalupa CHEE
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX 3.5"B" edition
    sup b
    You mean when they don't listen to the Almighty Craig Christ!

8. Jan 10, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Lol

Coot83 likes this.
  9. Jan 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
  10. Jan 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    So I just read from the Bungie site that they aren't changing anything from the roadmap they have laid out for the rest of the year. So people are still going to leave the game as fast as they have been. They "basically" admitted that they don't know how to do everything with developing, distributing, and publishing the game (in so many words). So the future for Bungie looks pretty grim at the moment unless they can pull something out of their ass. Judging from the past... they aren't capable of that.

Coot83 likes this.
  11. Jan 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, CVT Mt. Bachelor, Uniden 520XL, WeatherTechs, TRD CAI, 1Up USA hitch rack, speaker upgrade, Total Chaos bed stiffeners
    Unless they have something cool in their roadmap other than more stupid horde modes packaged in silly ways, I think you are right. Even Gambit is a modified horde mode. Sad.

12. Jan 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    That's the problem with the next mini update coming next month. It's built around Gambit. Don't get me wrong... I liked Gambit and I think it's one of the better game modes they put in the game. But I'm good for 5 matches or so and even I grow tired of it. A full three months centered around one game mode is not fun. It will just be more of the same. Throw balls at a forge for three months and Gambit for three months with a few quests thrown in here and there. If they can't come up with anything better and fast this game and franchise is done.

13. Jan 11, 2019 at 8:30 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma w/Superior Auto
    Yay. I can’t wait to go back waiting minutes for match making to complete. Thankfully I still like the game. I’ll never get to the forge or do the raids or the night fall, but I have strikes (which playing level 500 sucks because I swear there are only three of them), gambit, and crucible.

14. Jan 11, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 BRO-UNIT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chalupa CHEE
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX 3.5"B" edition
    sup b
    Yay. You're alive!

erok81 likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma w/Superior Auto
    :rofl:

Yep. Started taking some online classes and I spend all of my free time doing that. :ballchain:

Except the occasional gambit match. Which sometimes are hilarious. Usually when I join a group that really sucks I just mess around. My favorite one is when I just stand back and kill everything so people can get motes. I just stand there and watch the motes expire.

I also enjoying dying and watching my entire team running past me back and forth and no one bothers to revive me.

dtaco06 and Coot83 like this.
  16. Jan 12, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Just watched Fireteam chat and a very good point was brought up about the split between Activision and Bungie.

No one counts money better than Activision. How much of Activision splitting ties with Bungie is Activision seeing the decline of Destiny and realizing they need to cut their losses and get away from this right now?

That was the point that I've tried to make many times about the direction that Bungie has taken the game. Activision was the publisher and distributor of the game... not the developer. That's not to say that Activision didn't influence Bungie to make concessions in the game and how content was released. I very much believe they had a hand in that arena. Activision was key in implementing Eververse in the game for additional revenue which is has ALWAYS been a huge source of controversy in Destiny (or any paid game that includes microtransactions). But Bungie is the developer and content creator, not Activision. Activision was needed by Bungie to fund the development of the game. Without a huge source of money coming from somewhere Bungie would have never been able to even get this game off the ground.

It seems right now everyone is in the "honeymoon" phase of the split and now Bungie retains all the rights of the IP. But that won't last very long I can promise you that. Bungie will not be able to "self publish" the game. I'm perfectly comfortable saying that and you can come back and quote me if I'm wrong and I will stand corrected. But they won't be able too. Bungie has made all the decisions of the path that Destiny has taken with the exception of releasing D2 unfinished so they could retain their stock options. But I suppose that is a decision that Bungie also made so that is a moot point.

My personal opinion on this game is... Unless Bungie can pull money from another revenue stream we have seen the last of Destiny. Destiny, going forward, will have to find a way to not only develop the game and release MEANINGFUL content, but also produce, manufacture, distribute, advertise, and all the other things that go along with supporting a game this big. The skeptic in me says "they can't do it" because of the track record that Bungie has left through the entirety of the Destiny franchise. There is no doubt that the direction that the game took creatively was all Bungie. There have been a few highs and when those highs were there the game was great. But there have been more lows than highs throughout the entire lifespan of the game. So just because Bungie gets to retain the rights to the game I personally think this is Activision's way of secretly saying... "Good... you can have them because your ideas suck and we're out of here".

Coot83 likes this.
  17. Jan 14, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    LOL, you have to let this go brother. We got a new game to spend years on. Shit, I havent even been able to get to make my first frame yet because there is so much to do. I spent a total of probably 8 hours yesterday through out the day and evening, just because there is so much to do. Dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining, its all part of the experience. Tack on the fact that the game is FREE and you have so much win. I think they did a phenomenal job with it, there was so much fore thought into it and it shows.

Just when I thought I was right there, NOOOOOOPE, need to be a master rank 2!!!

18. Jan 14, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    Nope. Not letting it go. Not after spending 4+ years in the game only to watch Bungie throw it all away from what "should" have been a good game? They are celebrating their freedom from Activision at the moment but that will be short lived. Now there is no scapegoat for them when things go wrong. No one can say... "well, it's Activision's fault". It will all be on Bungie from this point forward and make no mistake, Bungie has been the biggest part of the mistakes that have been made in the past. A part of me just wants to see it fail because they have promised so much but delivered so little.

As far a Warframe goes... I agree. I'm working on MR8 right now. I just picked up Inaros last night because I got a 50% off coupon as a daily reward to use on one item in the market. So Inaros only cost me 23P. I farmed most of my relics yesterday in the hopes that I could get the second blade to drop for the Orthos Prime melee weapon hoping to use someone else's relics for the blade but I ran out of relics to use for alerts. So I got on trade chat and traded with another player for the blade. So now I've got the Prime version of Orthos which is fucking amazing and I didn't have to wait for fucking RNJesus to intervene. That's one thing I love about this game. DE doesn't restrict players from trading with each other in game. Now if I had a better handle on the Mod system and what are the best mods for a given Warframe lol. I'm getting better with that but it's still a bit confusing at times.

On a side note... I got matched up with Ms5000Watts in a game on Sat. night. She was a HUGE streamer in Destiny (especially Trials) and she was playing Warframe. Her husband works for Bungie... Soooo... That's weird? ;)

robu likes this.
  19. Jan 14, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    :rofl:

I'll be on around 3:30 until 6p, then back on about 8:15p for a couple more hours. If you're on I could use some help getting through the boss to get to mercury.

20. Jan 14, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    I'll be on around 8 CST. My daughter has 2 Basketball games to dance at tonight.

Products Discussed in

To Top