1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Burning smell...burning mud, ABS?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JMan551, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Apr 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    In my previous life I would get massively flamed for asking a question like this on the web forums (vwvortex.com) but you all seem relatively helpful to the noobs. /Flame suit on

So my TRD Sport is a lot of firsts for me...first rear wheel drive, first 4x4, first truck, first vehicle that reaches well into the 200hp range (last car was an 08 VW GTI). I've gone out to test some of my new capabilities which include a couple of trips to the local 'mud pit.' The first time we went it was a bit more wet out and I had no problem slipping around and getting muddy. Today was a bit more dry so we just splashed through the small muddy bits and I tried breaking into some slides. I did notice a couple of times that my RPMs went up into the red for a brief moment (due to the wheels slipping so much when I did hit the mud) and there was a couple of times where I heard the ABS pop on when I was trying to avoid a large pot hole. The temperature gauge stayed constant the entire time and nothing else seemed out of the ordinary, except when I came to a stop and got out to inspect the new paint job. I noticed a strong burning or hot smell coming from the truck.

I guess I have never smelled burning mud before, so I can't say if it was that. I did notice when I got home (about a 5 min drive) that mud on my exhaust tip was smoking and the smell was still there. I opened the hood and of course there is mud all over my engine bay, so it could have been mud burning off of the engine. Could the ABS have given off a smell from applying the brakes? Has anybody else had this experience?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just wanted to give you all the whole picture.

I'll try to post a picture, I went from MGM to Pyrite Mud :eek:

JER

2. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    You'd get flamed for this on vortex? I've never been on that site but this doesn't seem like something one would get flamed for....

Anyway, it's normal.

The smell you smell is likely the mud baking on to every hot surface all over the truck.

3. Apr 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    And to get more specific about the brakes, there is a lot of computer intervention with the stability and traction systems in these trucks. The brakes will always stop a spinning wheel in default modes except 4lo (the flash), as well as braking wheels to control a skid (the beep).

Whether you apply the brakes or the computer does it, you won't notice any different smell, etc...

4. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    JMan551

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Thank you for the quick replies...I did forget to mention that I had turned all the traction control off, so the only intervention should have been ABS when I hit the brakes. I believe I also read that if the truck is getting too out of control that the VSC will kick in even when turned off (I can't verify one way or the other).

I really hope it was just the mud baking (and on the other hand I sincerely hope that it didn't bake on TOO much), I cringe to think I burned something up or damaged the truck in any way. I just got past the break in period so this is one of the only couple of times I've been able to romp on it.

TRD09, I loved vwvortex but yes, part of the Terms of Use for using the vortex was to immediately be an expert on everything and never ask noob questions :notsure:
    believe me though, that also came in handy...when someone would ask a question about exhaust, intake, suspension, etc there were always people who actually did know a LOT about the subjects and there were always dyno graphs and videos to help out, after you sort through some of the flame war replies. I really do wish there was a Tacoma section on the vortex.

I'm still getting used to not having to tip toe around these forums like this :crapstorm:, really nice people on the tacoworld.

JER

5. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i am of absolutely no help here, but glad you like it around here! lot of good guys! make your self at home! :D

6. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    These trucks are built tough. You didn't mess anything up. Drive the truck like a truck and have fun. :cool:

7. Apr 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    JMan551

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    At a complete stop I held the button down for 5ish seconds. swervy truck with 'OFF' below it was the only light on.

Sounds like you and I will become friends, because I will probably offer less help than you! Thanks for the welcome

JER

8. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:55 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Sounds like you had fun, try keeping the RPM's out of the red zone. I think from what you describe you should be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top