1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy 4 wheels or 5 also any rubbing with 16" SCS F5's on the brakes?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jstyle, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    jstyle

jstyle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco Off Road
    Anything that was shiny is now black
    So I'm looking at getting new wheels for the 12 DCSB Off-road and I'm not sure what to do. I was gonna get the SCS F5's in 16 and throw on some 255/85/16 tires. Any issues with the 16" SCS rubbing the calipers? Any issues with rubbing on the pizza cutters anywhere else? Also as far as the spare goes, can I ride at least a little bit with the stock spare if I blow a flat or will it screw me within 10 miles?

2. Aug 12, 2017 at 2:46 AM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    No, the wheels won't rub on the caliper. I've had them with 2 different backspacings and everything clears.

Most of the people I have seen with that size rubbed some where. When I had 33s I barely rubbed at the top of the wheel well, it never bothered me enough to do anything about it though. Common work that is necessary for some with 33s is a cab mount chop. Also some minor trimming or remolding the wheel well liners and mud flap removal maybe necessary

You're putting yourself in a bad situation if you lose a tire with more than a small difference between the spare and the rest. Not sure about tacomas (I threw my spare away a long time ago), but on some vehicles the spare is already undersized as it is. Having different sized tires will put unnecessary and difficult to predict stress on the drivetrain and potentially freak out the truck's safety systems. Can you do it for a short bit? You sure can. Is it a good idea? Hell no, especially when compared to the rest of the cost of a wheel+tire swap. I would save up the extra money and get everything at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  3. Aug 12, 2017 at 3:41 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    SCS wheels are specifically made for our trucks, they're gonna fit just fine.

I also wouldn't run different sized tires. Just save up for cheap same size wheel/tire combo.

4. Aug 12, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    jstyle

jstyle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco Off Road
    Anything that was shiny is now black
    If I go with that tire size will it fit where the spare tire goes now?

5. Aug 12, 2017 at 2:00 PM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    I believe you have to bash and bend things around but it's possible.

6. Aug 12, 2017 at 4:53 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Difficult to say, it may hit the differential on full compression or it may not, you will have search for people with your specific tire and see if they had issues. Some get a rear swing out bumper, some throw the spare in the bed, some shift the spare holder back a little bit to help the differential clear the spare. Even tires of the same "size" actually have different dimensions. Those small differences become critical when trying to fit a larger tire where it doesn't belong.

Products Discussed in

To Top