1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy once, Cry once...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LT1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    So I finally talked the wife into letting me spend some dough on a lift kit. Problem is, my budget is somewhere south of $1200 completely installed. Now some of you may think I'm a retard because I can't make a lift work for $1200, but that's why I'm coming to you guys. Here's my dilemma:

1)I'd like a roughly 3" lift, slightly below 3 is ok, but I do have a DCLB, I think it looks better a little higher than lower.

2)I don't want to have problems with the alignment because I have a tire warranty (Autonation Tire Warranty) that'll be voided if my alignment is jacking up the tires, so I guess I have to get UCA's now.. :( (more money)

3)I have no clue how to install any of these things, and the only think I would feel comfortable to "tackle" is the rear lift (with some knowledgeable people and plenty of beer/pizza). So that means a professional installation w/alignment. (more money)

Looking at website, I can't afford a decent "complete" lift kit (w/UCA's and installation) So I'm considering starting with a front lift only at this time. And slowly save up for the rear.

I'd like to try to make it as affordable as possible so I was thinking Down South Motorsports for the Billies and maybe toytec for coils (OME/Eibach??). I have no clue where to get UCA's I heard Light Racing makes decent "affordable" ones and supposedly Fat Bob's is the cheapest..

Do I need all the other things that come with the "complete" lift kits? like the Diff drop, Sway bar relocate, etc.. What am I missing here? All this thinking of what is a need/want is confusing the shit out of me.. someone please help!

Below is OZ-T's build. I love how he has his ride set up. But I think he spent more than I can afford, thus my breaking up the costs. I don't want to skimp on anything that I will regret later... "buy once, cry once" right??
    [​IMG]

So.... Help?? :( If I can get some suggestions on how to lift my truck PROPERLY (so as to not void my tire or any other warranty) and installed below $1200 I would be ever indebted to you..:)

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looks familiar

3. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    $1110 on wheelers for the complete OME setup with rear Dakars...

4. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OME 885's , OME shocks or 5100's , LR UCA's and go with an AAL for now

5. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    I'm in. Send a PM to Manwithoutaplan. We have installed countless lifts at his house including mine. :)

6. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hiatt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    4" Bodylift 20" Offroad shock spacers Turbo Encabulator
    This. Ome is a legit setup

7. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Slow down....... relax... take a few deep breathes....

You don't need a lift NOW...so save some more money, do some more research, search the forums, do some reading, ask more questions... and when you've finally hit the jackpot of knowledge - you'll know exactly what you need and you'll know how to install it yourself.

If I can learn to do it (Yeah, I'm a girl), then anyone can!! Don't waste your money on labor costs.

Go have a beer ...

8. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    2011TacoBeav

2011TacoBeav Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sr5 v6 auto DCSB
    Self made rear bumper Colormatched Bush Wackers CB Center console lock box Camo seat covers Weathertech Digi blk Bilstein 5100s set at .85 Eibach coils LR UCAs Rear 1.5" block
    Before you place an order on anything look high and low for coupon codes or rate reduction codes.

I recently lifted mine and spent a lot of time researching. Which I'm certainly glad I did. It familiarized me with the products out there, their prices and helped me to discern what my needs versus wishes were.

I ended up getting LR UCAs and bilstein 5100s from down south using coupon codes. Then went to toytec for their AAL, one top plate spacer to remove drivers side lean, and their eibach coils.

I have no vibes or driveline issues and didn't instal shims, or any other drop kit stuff. This is not to say that you won't have any. Just that mine ended up just fine.

I'm sure some folks on here that are located near you would lend a hand installing the lift for a few beers

Me and one buddy installed mine in less than 6 hours. And it was my first lift instal so I think it's safe to say that it's certainly worth it to instal on your own with new TW friends.

9. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Yeah, well your ride is one sweet ass ride.. I really like the setup.. I even have a shell.. Soon enough.. we'll be TWINSIES!!!

Thanks for the info!

Do I need an AAL if I have a '12 with the TSB already in place??

Man, you guys rock!! Thanks for the help... I'll PM u guys when its time..

Man! (or woman?).. you guys kick ass.. thanks for the quick replies and support! I though TW was gonna go to shit with all the ADs and stuff, and I was preparing for the end of TW as we knew it.. but we're still going strong!!! Thanks TW!!!

10. Apr 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Spacer lift ?

11. Apr 2, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

With 2 1/2 -3" of front lift you will be nose high if you leave the rear where it is , especially with a cap .

Do you have the cap on all the time ?

12. Apr 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    X2 if you set something up with Ryan then I'm sure most of the so cal tacomas few up here will roll to help install it all :thumbsup:

13. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    :eek:

^^^I want to take off my cap for the summer, but I don't have any place to put it, so for the most the shell stays on.. Do you think the complete OME setup that twistedfreedom suggested (Includes NitroCharger front and rear shocks, 885 front coil springs, Dakar rear leaf springs w/ bushings, front trim packer, driveline bearing drop kit and u-bolts) will work out ok with the shell?

Thanks guys!

14. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    That's my exact set up , plus I added LR UCA's

15. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
  16. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    It will work fine. The only reason I didn't get the Dakars is because I didn't think I'd need the extra payload capacity they provide. Now that I'm have a crazy build going on I'm starting to regret that decision a little.

17. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Do you really think the UCA's were necessary? Cause here's the deal, I can't afford both UCA's and the complete OME setup. Should I get the front OME setup with UCA's and just get the rear done later? or should I go with the complete OME setup and do the UCA's later??

18. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate your input.. I'd hate to regret things later. For the most part, I've done the build ok. There's not really anything I completely regret. Except maybe how much lighter my wallet is..

19. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM
    Twistedfreedom

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I understand that! I don't even want to know how much i've spent.

20. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:48 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    I would save up more money to get some coil overs in front and remotes inback ,you are not far off.
    But if you need to lift it right this moment
    5100s in front set to lift 2-2.5" and invest in a good leafs/rear shocks to level out.

Products Discussed in

To Top