1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy or No Buy?...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NicNac22, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    that is a nice truck. And agreed, the 22re is a great motor, no speed demon, but will pull a building off the foundation in 4 lo. Price is pretty high, especially to buy sight unseen. Shit, price is pretty high in general. Ask the dealer to take his "gary's" used car badge off the back if you do buy it...its yuk'in it up. Look at it in real life first, could be a headache, not saying it will be, but could be

2. Jul 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    A couple grand probably went into the Solid Axle Swap which is a good thing if they did it right. My 1987 toyota pickup didn't have a tachometer (rpm gauge) either. They probably swapped out a bench seat for buckets or the stock seats were just worn out. It looks like a good truck imo. I'd buy it lol :p

3. Jul 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Keep in mind those big wheels and tires add weight and take away handling if you're going to be trailering down the highway.

You are correct to be skeptical; stay that way.

Look for paint overspray in door jambs and on the frame of the truck and don't be afraid to push your thumb on the frame behind where the wheels kick up dirt. Remember there may be a frame rust-through problem and you don't want it being YOUR problem.

At that milage you are basically going to start re-building the truck, now. They better have at least replaced the clutch.

Honestly in my opinion; (I know it's hard) but keep looking for a lower mileage truck and preferably buy it from the original owner.

4. Jul 1, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    Geez, that price seems high! I paid $7000 for my 2001 xtracab V6 4x4 a month ago with 133k on it....30k more miles + 7 years older + $2k = no go.

5. Jul 1, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 [OP] D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    well that truck has also had a lot of mods done to it, im not 100% sure what they all are, and i would NEVER buy a truck sight unseen, it still has to pass my inspection test, i usually spend about an hour checking it over to make sure i dont miss anything, and if they have a problem, i dont buy. the more i look at it tho makes me wonder if its the right one for me. its lifted a little more than what i want and the tires are bigger than what i want too, i would love to have it but its just not lookin practical anymore. i found another truck about an hour closer its a 92 xtra cab sr5 4x4 v6 manny 185000 miles for 7995, im thinkin i might go look at that one.

but you guys do realize its very hard to find one in my region not rusted around 7000 and under 200000miles....especially that age...and the original owner, thats damn near impossible. if these trucks go as long as all you guys say they do, then i think i should be ok at that . hell my xploder i used to own was a 92 with 180000 miles and still kickin...and trust me i did NOT take care of that beast, it had a rough life and thats a ford...xploder on top of that.

6. Jul 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    email this posting to a friend rochester, NY craigslist > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner
    please flag with care: [?]

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    1992 toyota tacoma 4x4 29mpg - $6990 (chili)

Date: 2011-06-28, 7:50AM EDT
    Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

1992 excab,100k miles,4x4,2.4 liter.5 speed new clutch,no rust,red n gray,good shape,nice driver,4x4,stick,585 624 8275

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    PostingID: 2450101236

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
    other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    email this posting to a friend rochester, NY craigslist > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
    1994 Toyota Tacoma - $4700 (Geneva Ny)

Date: 2011-06-08, 9:31PM EDT
    Reply to: sale-fzfem-2429427433@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1994 TOYOTA EXT CAB PICK UP
    OAKLAHOMA TRUCK ....RUST FREE FRAME
    AUTO
    AM/FM CASSETTE
    NEW TIRES
    AC/BLOWS COLD AIR
    NEW BATTERY
    84 K ORIGINAL MILES
    NO RUST
    BED LINER
    6 CYLINDER

4700 OR BO

THIS TRUCK FOR THE YEAR IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
    WOULD CONSIDER CASH AND A TRADE ,,,NO JUNK...NO SNOWMOBLIES
    ONLY E MAIL S WITH A PHONE NUMBER WILL BE ANSWERED

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    PostingID: 2429427433

8. Jul 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    email this posting to a friend southern WV craigslist > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

'97 Toyota Tacoma LX 4WD - $2000 (S-WV)

Date: 2011-06-29, 10:33AM EDT
    Reply to: sale-vufc2-2468651405@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

147,000 miles V6 Automatic Email for more info or pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    PostingID: 2468651405

9. Jul 2, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    thanks, has to be ex cab, 4x4 manny, no exceptions :) we'll see how today goes

10. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    well it was a no go on both trucks, the grey one is just too impractical for me as much as i like it. as for the white one that i drove 5 hours to look at, well they were closed when i got there at 1 they were supposed to close at 3, and didnt let me know either of the two times that i called them the day before i was going to look at the truck. so im going to speak with someones boss later. i was pretty irate about a 9 hr wasted trip. not to mention the undercarriage was spray painted black bumper to bumper, i couldnt see anything under it. so dissapointed i didnt get a truck :(

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    No, don't be disappointed. It was the best thing that happened. There is a truck with your name on it and I bet it's right around the corner from you. Look for an original owner private sale because to can SEE how the truck has been treated without the dealer cover-up.

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    im not dissapointed i didnt get that truck, just dissapointed i still dont have one. original owner, private sale around here is damn near impossible, i see atleast 10 tacos a day when i drive and i only like 15 mins from work, there everywhere around here just impossible to find. the only reason im doing dealers right now, is cause i have to sell my van first, most people dont want to trade a truck for a van.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    take your time on buying. dont settle, just because its in front of you. may have been good that the shop was closed

14. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    i know, there was a reason i wasnt supposed to get that truck, but did it have to be a 9 hr trip :( ive been looking since feb, so patience isnt a prob its just frustrating at times, as long as i can find one before winter or im sol. usually the more rain we have in the summer the it snows in the winter and its been raining a lot! i have to wait for my van to sell anyways. and im way too picky to settle, i want to keep this truck till it cant go anymore and i want it to be perfect...for me :) i called the shop though and let them i was rather upset i drove that far and they were closed so he supposed to send me a check for gas $ that makes up a little bit, but im still pissed i wasted my sat, i could have hung out at the lake with my fam and got a tan! haha

15. Jul 7, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Really hard to judge a truck without actually seeing it. I wouldn't worry about not having a tach or the fact that the seats were replaced, rather a close look at the suspension modifications would be in order. Personally I don't think that modifications really add to the value of any vehicle as they tend to be more of a personal issue. Not sure what the book value is in the states but in Canada it runs around 3200 bucs with maybe a 2000 dollar premium because its a Toyota and is in such good shape. Unless he has receipts for any upgrades and repairs I would take that with a grain of salt, if he was close to me I'd offer him 5k and walk away if he didn't take it but thats just me and I would certainly want to see it first and crawl all over looking at it.

16. Jul 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    I will second those thoughts! Totally agree.

Be patient man and you will find one! It took me about 3 months of hard looking to find what I wanted.

17. Jul 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    Steves104x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    email this posting to a friend detroit metro craigslist > wayne co > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner

miscategorized
    prohibited
    spam/overpost
    best of craigslist

1996 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4cyl. 4x4 Xtra Cab (southern truck) - $4500 (Ferndale)

Date: 2011-05-29, 7:53AM EDT
    Reply to: sale-tfccv-2408896155@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1996 Toyota Tacoma DL
    2.7L 4cyl
    4x4
    Xtra Cab
    5 speed
    cruise control
    exterior black
    interior gray
    tool box
    bed liner
    kc daylighters w/ yellow covers
    3" body lift
    33" BFGoodrich Wrangler Dura Trac w/ 7000 miles
    tinted windows
    sub box
    Pioneer head unit
    203,000 miles

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    PostingID: 2408896155

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    yeah that is a nice one, but i prefer to keep it under 200000 atleast...im super picky. i just dont want to have to do a lot of repairs soon after i get it. if i didnt want an ex cab or mind high miles i could have found one by now. im starting to look at the later pickups the 90-94's they are more in my price range, and decent miles too. im also trying to stay away from snowy areas...less rust.

19. Jul 8, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    ok this one is about 4 hrs away and under budget, so that leaves me with $ for repairs, as long as i dont get in over my head, im no mechanic so i have no idea, i figured you guys could help me out. I sent him an email asking about how much rust, bc that is something i deff dont want to mess around with. i can replace everything else...plus i love that its purple!:D what can i say im a girl! other than that it doesnt seem like it should break the bank with me, im not worried about cosmetics, such as the dash and bumper.

Up for sale is my 1988 Toyota Pickup SR5 for $2000 Or Best Offer. It has the 3.0 V6 and a 5 speed transmission. It's a 4x4 (4wd) with about 160,000 miles on it. The previous owner had the truck lifted, and I believe it was done by OK 4 Wheel Drive. It currently has about 4 inches of suspension lift with 33" x 12.50" tires.

The engine runs strong, but the truck needs some loving. I don't like to beat around the bush, so I'll list the things that are good, and the things that are in need of replacement.

Good:

-Clutch, clutch master cylinder, and clutch slave cylinder were replaced November 2009.

-CV Axles were replaced December 2010.

-Igniter (Ignition Control Module) and ignition coil were replaced May 2011.

-Inspected until February 2012.

Bad:

-Will need tires to pass inspection next year.

-Both leaf springs are worn and each one has a cracked leaf in it.

-I think that the throttle position sensor is slightly our of adjustment.

-There are a few dents and some surface rush on parts the body.

-The speedometer and emergency brake cables need to be replaced (both of them broke). I also suspect that the hood latch cable is in need of replacement.

-The sunroof is cracked. However, it is safety glass so it's still solid.

-The front bumper is missing one of the plastic pieces.

-The interior shows its age. There are a few cracks in the dash.

-The starter works intermittently. It will start 5-10 times with no problem, then it won't start without tapping the starter or pop starting it.

I'm willing to consider any cash offers or trades. Just shoot me an email, and we'll figure it out from there.

Thanks. More pictures available upon request.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Jul 9, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    Taylor1993

Taylor1993 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    sold my Tacoma, need to buy a 1st gen now =]
    Dont be afraid to wait and be patient. I looked for about six months and picked up a 2006 access cab with 130k with a cai headers exhaust lift nice tires/ rims and a system from a private seller for 13.7 k . It was a steal . Patience is a virtue.

Products Discussed in

To Top