1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy or No Buy?...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NicNac22, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jul 11, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 [OP] D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    yeah ive been looking since feb, the guy with the purple sent me some pics and the other side was rough, it looked like he beat it, and the sunroof wasnt cracked...it was spider webbed, looked like some one punched it or dropped something on it.

2. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I'm always VERY leery of buying someone else's lifted/modified truck. I'd much rather find a stock rig and customize it myself. Yes, you can get them cheaper (generally), but after seeing what a lot of DIYers do to their trucks, I'd rather spend a couple extra grand on a stock truck and do the mods myself, because I'd likely have to just break down and redo what the previous owner screwed up anyway.

99 times out of 100, the mods aren't exactly what I would have done anyway. For instance, I'm very much an anti-body/block lift kind of guy. Most mod'd trucks I've seen for sale have at least one, if not both those. I'd much rather have the 2nd most expensive thing I own (besides the house) to be EXACTLY the way I want it from the start.

Then again, money talks, if the price is right, I guess I'd be dumb to pass it up, even if I would end up changing things.

3. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    bennett87

bennett87 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Ext Cab SR5 Debadged
    debadged, Alpine sound system, bilstein 5100's upfront with OME 881s
    If your still interested in the gray one with the SAS i live like 20 minutes from there and can go check it out....just let me know

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

i would take him up on this offer!

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    That is a very good offer, only prob now, is they are offering me way less for trade in on my current car than what its worth, so i have to try to sell it first. otherwise its outta my price range. Ive got my van listed at 7000 im about to drop it down a lill bit, but i have 2000 cash saved so whatever the van sells for plus the cash is my budget. other than that i still like the grey one, but i dont want you to go out of your way or anything, i really appreciate that tho.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    bennett87

bennett87 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Ext Cab SR5 Debadged
    debadged, Alpine sound system, bilstein 5100's upfront with OME 881s
    well it was actually closer than i thought....like 5 mins away and went i went by the said it was gone...sorry dude

7. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    thats fine, i figured it would be. im thinkin im gonna get a cheaper one, and use the rest of my budget to fix it up the way i want. and i know its done right, we have a badass body shop down the road, i appreciate the thought tho!

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Psst... NicNac isn't a dude ;)

9. Jul 17, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Too much. You want this cause it looks cool. I sold pretty much the same truck ('92 Ext-Cab) with a 3" lift and 33s for $4500, but it was a V6. Don't get excited because it has big tires. That 4cyl will suck unless they've changed all the gearing to make it run like stock...

10. Jul 18, 2011 at 5:49 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    yes i know thanks, and big tires do excite me, but i changed my mind on it. it was actually lifted a lill more than what i wanted and when he told me they put a cpl g's in it to make it run good and everything it threw up a red flag in my book, plus the paint looked a lill too new. but yes i do tend to get excited about things at first thats why i take my checklist so i remember to look at everything. and no im not a dude. my truck is out there and im waiting patiently...as i can :)

11. Jul 18, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    USMC5711

USMC5711 Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab 4x4
    If that is the Gary's used cars out the back gate of Camp Lejeune then I would say stay away. They have a lot of very nice used trucks on thier lot but when you get there and look closely they all seem a bit shoddy. I have personally never bought a vehicle there but I have inspected a lot with some of my junior Marines who were looking to purchase one and they almost all seem like something has been rebuilt or "had a couple grand dropped into it" for one reason or another. Nice truck, I would just say inspect it very closely.

12. Jul 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    Dave.Bc

Dave.Bc Member

Member:
    Kamloops
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Billy 5100's front and rear, Eibach coils, Toy-tec AAL, grey wire mod, deckplate, pioneer deck and speakers, JL amp and sub in a stealthbox
    I would personally stay away from any of the older 3.0L V6's... After owning two 4runners with those engines I, as well as many other people find them to be one of the worst engines Toyota ever produced. They blow head gaskets regularly (did it 3 times in my 92) and they are a huge hassle to work on. Gas mileage is dismal and power is non-existant- Expect to downshift on any hills. On the other hand, the 2.4, 2.7 and 3.4L's that Toyota make are all way better options. I now own te 3.4L and it has way more power and torque, significantly better gas mileage and has proved to be extremely reliable (had it for 2 years now with 200,000km, nothing other than oil changes.)
    I hope this helps- like other people have said, don't just break down and buy one that you're not happy with. It took me 6 months of checking craigslist every couple of days, and numerous trips to inspect possible tacomas. It is worth the wait in the end!

13. Jul 18, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the info, ive been lookin since feb and i wont settle for less than what i want, im a picky girl. i check like 5 different sites everyday:( ive looked at a few so far, a couple i turned around immediatly haha patience is a virtue so ill wait.

14. Jul 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    found a new prospect this morn. 1993 xtra cab deluxe 5sp 4x4 200000miles asking 2300. bad thing its 4 hours away :( but i am willing to drive i just have to convince my mom to go and drive my van back...shes not big on trips plus i have a 7 and 10 yr old lill sisters...not fun on car rides with them. it looks like a decent one for that price im just waitin on more pics. he said hes got maintence records to go with it. its even grey, which i like that color.

15. Jul 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    NicNac22

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    :( i think it might have sold its not listed anymore, it was just posted this morning or last night cuz it wasnt there yesterday :( fml why is this so complicated?! its frustrating.

Products Discussed in

To Top