1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying 1st Tacoma IS TRD worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Claytor, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Claytor

Claytor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 TRD OR
    Full OME Lift W/top spacers, Dakars in the rear, extended rear brakelines, CHROME Satoshi, 17x8 American Racing Mojave Teflons, Nitto 295/70/R17 Trail Grapplers
    pretty much what the title says....

I am going to buy a 2010 or 2009 Taco 4X4. If i plan on customizing a lot of stuff on the truck anyways, everything from the wheels to the interior would TRD be worth it????

2. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
  3. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    look at the extra features of the TRD packages.

Do you need or want them?

Enough said.

4. Mar 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    you can buy a base model V-6 4x4 and put your own upgrades like you want to and save money

5. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Yup, pretty straight forward. You can get a base model then add a locker and a hood scoop for a couple grand = best of both worlds.

6. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    Claytor

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 TRD OR
    Full OME Lift W/top spacers, Dakars in the rear, extended rear brakelines, CHROME Satoshi, 17x8 American Racing Mojave Teflons, Nitto 295/70/R17 Trail Grapplers
    I Know TRD comes with:

Wheels
    Rims
    Suspension
    trd interior
    Locker or limited slip
    skid plate?
    "graphics" and some other cosmetic stuff....

I plan on changing or customizing, (eventually) the interior, wheels/Rims, and I want to lift it.

Im pretty new to off roading and this stuff, so the only two things that I like is the suspension and the locker or limited slip....If I do a suspension lift wouldnt that replace the bilstiens (SP?).

7. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    The TRD offroad available e-locker was the big thing for me. You can always add an ARB air locker after the fact, but that voids warranty on the rear differential. And unless you do the work yourself, an ARB with good compressor is probably around $1800 for parts + install (or at least it is in southern CO). That's about how much TRD costs over the SR5 package. And you probably don't want to go totally base because you lose all kinds of things (cruise control, power windows, keyless entry and I think you lose AC as well). Check with the dealer on this.

8. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    Claytor

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 TRD OR
    thats right TRD comes with all that fancy traction control stuff

9. Mar 28, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    And the TRD models comes with A-TRAC (activated by push button) which is pretty damn cool ... independent traction control on all 4 wheels while in 4-lo. If one wheel breaks free for any reason or is lifted off the ground, A-TRAC applies the brake to that wheel to keep it from spinning, transferring power back to the other wheel on the ground. It's way better than limited slips, and a lot of guys have been very impressed with the capability. Read up on it ... its a cool innovation. There are YouTube vids of A-TRAC being demoed as well.

SR5 and base models do not have any kind of traction control in 4-lo. They have what is called "TRAC" (which TRD also has) but it disengages in 4-lo leaving you effectively with 2 open differentials. There is a "yellow wire" mod you can supposedly do to trick the system to keeping TRAC on in all modes, but if the dealer finds out you cut wires your warranty is toast.

As for the Auto-LSD it's only available in 2wd and 4-hi as well, and isn't a mechanical limited slip but rather electronic. Again all models have TRAC in 2wd and 4-hi but TRAC sucks some engine power to work (because it's really meant to serve as vehicle stability control on road and will reduce engine power if it thinks you're in danger of losing control). Auto-LSD (which is activated by pushing the VSC/TRAC button, which turns TRAC off and Auto-LSD on) does pretty much the same thing as TRAC but as it's meant for offroad use, it has no effect on engine power. But again it's only 2wd and 4-hi, and it's only the rear axle.

You mentioned swapping interiors, but if you don't I think you'll find the TRD interior to be more durable. The SR5 interior is plush ... almost Camry like.

10. Mar 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    Only the TRD models come with the A-TRAC?

11. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    They all have VSC/TRAC (VSC = vehicle stability control) which operates in 2wd and 4-hi and is designed as more of an on road / at speed traction control device, and not only uses the brakes to transfer power between wheels in the event of slippage, it also regulates engine output as needed to keep you in line. It's default is "on" and can be turned off with the push of a button (TRAC -> Auto-LSD -> Off).

And as I mentioned, they all also have Auto-LSD which also uses the brakes to control wheel slippage and transfer power. But Auto-LSD is primarily for offroad use so it does not cut engine power. It's also rear wheel only and only available in 2wd and 4-hi.

But only TRD models have A-TRAC which operates in 4-lo. It's default in 4-lo is "off" and can be turned on with the push of a button (it's located by the cigarette lighter). Without A-TRAC, non-TRD models effectively operate with 2 open differentials in 4-lo.

It's not a big deal if you plan on adding a locker in the back, and as I said there is a wire mod that you can do (involves cutting one wire behind the glove compartment) that tricks the 4wd computer into keeping TRAC on even in 4-lo in non-TRD models effectively giving you a variant of A-TRAC, though not nearly as robust as again TRAC also regulates engine power. A-TRAC does not.

12. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    The upgraded seats is completely worth the extra cost.

13. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    ncognit0

ncognit0 Active Member

Member:
    PEI, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Silver Taco 4x4 DC V6A TRD LB
    ^^^^Yea what he said^^^
    I test drove a few tacomas before deciding the TRD...seats sold me

14. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    unless you want a decent locker from the offroad version, or the interior "racing buckets" of the sport.

i went with the sport because it was a good deal got the scoop and the seats, bluetooth was nice and steering wheel controls, love the wheels and thetow package that was on the truck

15. Mar 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I love the hoodscoop, seats, color bumpers & door handles, and steering wheel controls on my Sport. I'm pleased with the purchase

16. Mar 29, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    ASE_MasterTech

ASE_MasterTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL\Cab
    Wet Okole seat covers, Westin Platinum Oval tube steps, Rear spring TSB plus Super Springs, D-Rings in all bed bolts, Tailgate reinforcement mod (for loading Harley)
    No way you could add all the options that come in a factory "TRD package" afterwards, for the same money..
    It's just not possible...

Besides, what kind of resale (or Insurance value) would a "home built TRD" have?

(FWIW-before there's a 'sudden accerleration no resale value debate', Toyota sold more vehicles in the USA this Feb/March then any previous Feb/March in their USA sales history)

17. Mar 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    BSPDX

BSPDX Well-Known Member

Member:
    I feel the TRD OR is worth the extra coin... I'm not sold on the sport tho. Good luck with the purchase!

18. Mar 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Most likely the purchasers with TRD will tell you to go for it. Like me!!! and most of the peoplewho did not go with the TRD will tell you don't get the TRD. I agree with most of the yes TRD people, you just cannot add all of the TRD items aftermarket they are different. But if you want to mod everythying do not get the TRD.

19. Mar 29, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    Claytor

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 TRD OR
    yeahhhh Im leaning towards TRD OR

Im lookin for a barley used 2009 or 2010 double cab TRD OR 4x4 with towing package. I've been lookin around for awhile, best prices im finding is 26,900 or so (with 5 to 15K)

good price?

20. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    Claytor

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    TX
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4 TRD OR
To Top