1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a car in another state

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by angelitadiablo, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    angelitadiablo

angelitadiablo [OP] loves red tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    ORANGE COUNTY, Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD sports
    I have been looking for a 4X2 tacoma with TRD Sports/jbl and towing since February. Miss out when they have all the good sale. Found a great deal in Phoenix, AZ. Price sounds right after rebate however they have $389 documentation fee and tags and licensing of $429. I know in california doc fee is $55
    If I decide to have the car shipped they are still charging me $389 doc fee and a 90 days drive out tag of $72. Also to have the car shipped to Cali cost $350. According to AZ DMV web site the fee is $15. Any one can shed the light on these fees and if these are absolute or not? I really like the car as it has the right specs and color. So hopefully someone can help....Someone who knows the law in Arizona?????

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

You can buy the car there, tell them you will register in CA, and they will not charge you the tags licensing fees. Not sure about doc fees. They most likely will copy your DL as proof you live out of state. I bought my truck in GA, but registered it in my home state of TN.

3. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    I don't know if it's like it was years ago, but if you buy a car out-of-state, you will have to pay some taxes to California. I know they will charge you the difference in sales tax if there is any, and you will still have to pay California registration fees. It's a real headache buying out of state in California and then registering it there.

4. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    ^^^^^ you will have to pay home state sales taxes as well.

5. Jun 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
    If you do buy out of state make sure everything is notarized that needs to be. I had registration issues from CT to NY because of this.

6. Jun 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I bought my truck in Washington but live in Oregon. It was painless, the dealership is used to selling trucks to Oregonians. Oregon doesn't have sales tax so I wasn't charged any tax, just the registration fees and they took care of all the paper work, issued me a temporary tag and my plates came about 3 weeks later.

7. Jun 4, 2010 at 5:40 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I bought my Tacoma on Friday in ATL and I live in Pittsburgh. I saved about $1200 on top of the $600 doc fee. I just drove it back. I just have to pay tax, license and reg in a few weeks up here. Ive done this twice now.

8. Jun 4, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Jup, bought my wife's car in NC. They were equipped to handle this and we paid our SC sales tax right there, then took the car home and registered it with the SC DMV.
    Make sure you are not charged any sales tax in the state you purchase the truck if you intend to take it out of state!

9. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    tax will be paid where it is registered

10. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    check this out clicky

source

11. Jun 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    ppeter

ppeter Nerdfighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Twin Falls Idaho
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 & 10 DC 4x4 Offroad
    PreRunner: Added fogs, cruise, Trailer hitch, TRD wheels & rugged trail T/A's, window tint. D/C: Duratrac's, Viper Smartstart, window tint.
    I bought two pickups in Salt Lake City and the only downfall was that we had to pay for a temporary Utah license for like $60. The dealership in AZ should pay your taxes in California (if financed), and will send all licensing info to the DMV of your choice.
    Dealerships in Idaho SUCK so it was worth it, and we still saved money on the deal even after the trip expenses. Don't settle for a pickup that you don't want because it's all your local dealer has, or can get, and don't work with a crappy dealer. There are some great toyota dealers with good inventory that are willing to work for you. Buying out of state is painless. Go for the deal on the truck that you want in Phoenix

Products Discussed in

To Top