1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a Harely need opinions

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by awoit, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    My first cruiser was a Vstar 1100 Custom. 27" seat height, VERY easy to deal with, and comfy. Could go on the highway with no problems, and I could keep up with my friends' Harleys unless they opened wide. It was a great bike. Now I've got a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird. 96 ci and plenty of comfort, but relatively small (b/c of the parallel jugs) and I ABSOLUTELY love the bike.

And I get all kinds've crap from Harley people until they find out it's a trumpet- then it's all "I had a triumph when I was a kid...." All I know is the bike fits me perfectly. Just be sure you do a couple things:

1. Take the course!
    2. Sit on everything you can at every dealer near you
    3. take the course!
    4. I have had crotch rockets and cruisers. You'll find out which style suits you best- I'd buy used as you may choose something you'll either grow to dislike or outgrow- never mind possibly drop and damage.
    5. Take the damn course!

Be safe and grow 10 more eyes on your head!

IMG00009-20100306-1441.jpg

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    czwhat

czwhat Member

Member:
    I've had 2 Hogs and love them , and have never had any problems with ethier. Just put oil and gas in and hit the open road. If this is your first bike I would get something small before shelling out the cash for a hog.

3. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Good enough. Don't let your ego decide your bike... the answer is between your head and your butt.

And never, EVER let your guard down.

4. Jan 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM

7600 Member

Member:
    I 've ridden motorcycles since before I was old enough to drive. My last harley was an '08 fatbob. I really liked it. I rode it to Missouri in june of '08. I sold it because of work. Too may hours, and I got more than I paid for it. Any how I'm back to normal hours and I own a kawasaki er-6n. Quite a bit different than a harley, but I love it. I guess I just like to ride. BTW my fatbob was no trouble at all.

5. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Or the zombies in the cages will get you!!!

Seriously, the most important thing to remember while riding is that you can die doing it. After you accept that fact, ride like hell and have fun doing it! It doesn't matter what you ride - although I really like the old Flathead Harley's. One of these days... one of these days I'll be the old guy puttin around on the old kick only flatty, drippin a little oil from the chain and not giving a damn. That is what it is all about.

6. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    2009 taco

2009 taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    lompton, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 sport
    jba headers, outlaw flowmaster, 3 inch pipes, k and n cold air intake, throttle body spacer, halo headlights, HIDs, deaver springs, kings all the way round, Built right UCAs, camburg spindles, Satoshi bumper and main grill, sliders
    My brother has a nice soft tail for sale. Its already pretty modded. I started with a sportster then sold it for my taco. Now looking for a road king

7. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    tacomiker

tacomiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    Tint, Lo Pro tonneau cover,Weather techs, BFG AT ,
    Dont buy anything but a Harley, I would suggest getting a Fatboy or Electra glidel I wouldnt buy anything small like a 1200 or 883,unless you are new to riding.

8. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I don't know why, but Sportsters take a real beating as a "girls bike." They are faster than the Big Twins, more nimble, and get much better mileage. The biggest difference is when you try to use the Sportster as a touring bike. The rider has to be in good physical and mental condition to ride a Sportster long distance. But don't pass up a good deal on a Sportster, they are great bikes to have around.

9. Jan 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    The 883s are good little bikes but I'd pass for the 1200. Those sportys are light, fast, and perfect commuter rides - or just to take out on the town to mess around on. Ya, not great for long distances out on the highways, but for back road fun, I'd take a 1200 over a fatboy any day. Besides, who wants a yet-another-black-fatboy anyways, they're as common as honda civics. lol!

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    My Old....Been there done that (bought the T shirt...mugs. lighters. belt buckes, toilet paper.....) never again

[​IMG]

HOWEVER........There's nothing like a Harley........I find that to be a good thing.

My New...Just a nice bike...no " me too mentality" no muss no fuss,no clubs, no "uniform" no "way of life"... Just ride....and no overheating in the Summer...

[​IMG]

Okay Advice time...BUY WHAT YOU WANT.........DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS.......

11. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Harley's are a bike built for a perpose, for your style of riding, how far of a distance you expect to ride, how many miles you are expected to ride per year.
    Harley's are a show bike, intended to show off, for riding for short distance, for low miles, for a rider that rides on short trips only on the weekends, a rider that wants to dress up in leather, a pretend tough guy, that likes to drink and party.

But if you want a bike cause you LOVE to ride, its a passion for you to ride, you want a comfortable and enjoyable riding experience, you want to ride a cross state, long distance trip then get a Japanese Cruiser!

12. Feb 27, 2011 at 4:36 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    [​IMG]

13. Feb 27, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    NOT REALLY...Been there done that...bought the 50 state T shirts..

I would never take a Harley any distances in the Summer. I rode with them in Vegas when I had one and without. Here even they OVERHEAT in traffic and the engine. Harley had to design some concoction to turn OFF the rear cylinder at idle to keep them from over heating so they can continue to use that decades old tractor engine design. People rightly say Japanese bikes are "copies" (and technologically superior at that) but in reality Harley is the ultimate copy of themselves.They build copies of bikes, they encourage copies of customers wearing copies of clothing that were in style six decades ago.

It is a "trademarked" lifestyle choice more than a technological superior design of a traditional engine. Somewhere along the line obsolescence and failure become "tradition" and "heritage." LOL. Harley Davidson is a "fashion provider based on popular culture myth. They have this "rebel" attitude and advertising but in reality those of us who owned Harleys and own Harleys become conformists, In dress, in bikes, even in sound.... to a standardized image the corporation pays a lot to keep alive.Its ironic that 1% of Harley owners have decided how 99% pretend to dress and act and the corporation sells that image and cultivates it.

In actuality there is nothing really wrong with all that as one thing many Harley riders seek is the "brotherhood" and camaraderie reserved only for riders of the same bike and truly respected by riders of the same bike. no other bike has that "tradition" and "brotherhood". It doesn't matter if the bike would not move an inch if all the Japanese parts were removed, or if the great American motorcycle company is using German engineering design lately;,

It's still a "GWATDAMM Harley Davidson"

Johnny makes my point here

14. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I am 60 years old this year. I have owned Harleys all my life. With the exception of the old sportster that I owned as a teenager, they have all been easy maintenance. I do it all my self. I do not change tires and these things are expensive and you will need them every 10000 miles. Plan on spending some big bucks up front for the purchase. I have had a few shadow's and I liked them. I have also had a gold wing. They were nice bikes to, but none of them will sound like a harley.

And, no, I am not into the leather everywhere thing. And I don't go on rides with 20 people. I ride back and forth to work and around the hill country.

15. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    I don't care what bike you own, just ride! The man asked the question about buying a HD as his first bike.
    Its really very simple, if you want a bike to show off and to impress other people then buy a HD!
    If you want a bike for the enjoyment of riding then buy a Japanese bike
    If you want a bike for long commuting and to save money on gas then get a Kawasaki 250 Ninja
    If your the outdoors type and you love off-roading then buy a Dual Sport Bike like a Suzuki DRZ400S or a Kawasaki KLR650
    If you want a bike for a long cross crountry trip with a passenger then get a Honda Gold Wing
    If your into speed and get that rush of feeling like you're almost going to die taking a hairpin curve at 95 mph then get a crotch rocket like a Suzuki GSX750

There is a motorcycle for everybody, but just stop and think what kind of rider you are before you pick out what motorcycle you want.

16. Feb 27, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    This your bike???;)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/2204523906.html

17. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Kingfrog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    LOL

No I sold my FXRC back in the 90's when Harleys became "BMW"s and people were paying stupid money almost LIKE THAT for them and were waiting months for the 'privilege"...so I took advantage of the opportunity presented and never looked back.

I discovered there were other bikes and less issues and yes, I turned in my "HD Shield". I like the V Rod though...That is the with Porche designed engine that should be in the Cruisers.

18. Feb 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    You should rent a new Harley. They aren't the same bike they were back then. I was a hater once too...

19. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    BartStar

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    I love going to the bike shows and can spend hours looking at bikes but what I always notice how most people are attracted to HD's, choppers and custom built bikes. Those bikes don't impress me and its hard for me to understand why most other people are impressed with any HD, to me HD's all look the same. (not cutting you HD Guys down), just hard for me to see anything exciting about a HD.
    Me? I am attracted to the older Japanese bikes like the old Honda 750 Four, or the 900 Kawasaki, or the older 1970's Yamaha Enduro's.
    I never owned a HD, I did ride a few HD's and none impressed me, I am a cheap-skate and I just can't understand why anybody would spend $17K for a HD when they can buy a Japanese Cruiser thats more quicker, comfortable, and more reliable for 1/2 that price.

20. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.

Products Discussed in

To Top