1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

buying a taco out of state

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by twang, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    twang

twang [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does anybody have any experiences with buying a Tacoma from a dealer out of state? I'm in Texas and we apparently can't get TRD offroad w/JBL packages here. My dealer told me that maybe the they'll start getting them in 2010 because they've had so many requests for them. The exact truck that I want in in Denver but the price ($30,529 after $1000 rebate, $32,209 msrp))they quoted me seemed way too high. It doesn't seem like they want to come down any. Edmunds says the prices should be around $28,500. Dealers in New Mexico quoted me even higher prices. Are those markets just selling more trucks leading to higher prices? Thanks.

Teddy

2. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Don't pay near MSRP. Use that edmunds price, or even carsdirect.com. Negotiate from the invoice price.

3. Jun 17, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    usctacoma

usctacoma Be a thinker, not a stinker

Member:
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 Doublecab
    Tint, Black Badges, Firestone Destination 265-70-17s, Weathertech Floor Liners, Sockmonkey decals, Flowmaster 40, Defiant light bar, 4 5" PIAA 540s, BHLM, 5100s @ .85, eibach springs, 1/4" Toytec spacer, 2" Toytec AAL, painted grill, UWS tool box
    i had to drive about 250 miles to pick mine up in st. augustine florida. you could probably talk them down from those prices too. I found mine on autotrader and eventually talked them down about 4k. also check arizona. My uncle lives in chandler and he says that trucks are pretty cheap there compared to other states.

4. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    Chad

Chad Rand Paul 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-X920BT Headunit -- BHLM -- Pioneer TS-A1685R 4-way Coax Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- 09+ Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    They will also quote you way above what you would expect. Aim about $500 under invoice to start, and negotiate from that. One of the cars we bought was negotiated strictly over e-mail, so you don't need to be in person to get the deal you want.

5. Jun 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    downey

downey Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Mag Gray 4x4 TRD-Off Road
    Leer 100r
    I paid less than that out the door in the Denver area a month ago. That was at a 8.5% tax rate plus dealer fees. Same truck, DC SB 4x4 TRD-Off Road w/JBL audio. Unless things have changed in a month they should be able to go lower than that.

6. Jun 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    indycross

indycross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
    I just finished the exact same situation as you. I found an purchased my vehicle in Washington state which is being shipped out to me tomorrow (i'm in CC Tx).

The fact is that this is an investment so you should be picky with what you want. My truck has all of the bells and whistles and i wrapped up the price and delivery ($1,400) for a little over Edmunds listing. I would say stick to your guns and negotiate you @$$ off... the econony is on a car buyers side for now.

7. Jun 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    hey, i just did this!bought my taco in cali, had it transported to az on my doorstep. some fun details-you wont pay tax and license until you register it. good if youre paying cash for that sort of thing, bad if you want to finance it. cool thing is it takes some time to generate a title, at which point you can then register it. i have a 90 day temp registration for now. so i get to hold onto that cash for the time being.for me, when i do pay tax its only the state tax- about 5%. the other 3% the city is supposed to bill me... but they are famous for dropping the ball on that. heres to hopin...thats about it. az didnt have the best pricing i could find, which was 27400 and some guys have done better. get a good deal!

To Top