1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a Tacoma in December - Need some help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by S1njin, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sep 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    The Dunlap's are not "SR5" tires...I've seen the Grandtrek's in 17" on brand new TRD Sport's.

2. Sep 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    S1njin

S1njin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    Yes, but the TRD Off Road guarantees me the BFGoodrich tires ...

3. Sep 21, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    I am sure they will put whatever tires you want on, to make a sale. I had an 05 trd off road access cab loved it no problems at all, now have 2012 trd sport dclb so far a nice truck. never used the diff lock so went with the sport, and no dclb in off road package.

4. Sep 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM
    S1njin

S1njin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    Don't have one yet
    You're probably right. I'm sure I can get them to eat the cost differance between the crappy Dunlaps and a set of BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A's (Tirerack.com gives them excellent marks).

This forum has been a blessing for me - I want to thank everybody who has helped me out thus far !

:bananadance:

5. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Correct but I don't think there is a different option on the SR5.

6. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    SpE3dF0x

SpE3dF0x MD bound!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tacoma Sport
    Nothing its tooo new!
    And manual drive would just increase it even more!

7. Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I know you can upgrade the wheels on an SR5 to the alloy's...not sure about the tires though.

8. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I bought a regular cab 4x4 in 2009 it's 4cyl and manual tranny. I love it. I added a couple little creature comforts but for the most part it is stock. I figure start with the base and make it the truck I want it to be. Keeps my cost down and lets me configure stuff the way I want.
    My list of must haves was 4 wheel drive, AC, regular cab. I would have the automatic tranny but I bought what was available and met the other criteria.

I added a tow hitch and wiring for lights, super easy. Added tonneau cover and a grill guard to keep the soccer moms away in the grocery store parking lot.

I've owned several trucks and this one is the best so far. The bed is smaller than what I was used to but it's enough for the weekend projects and occasional kids to college moves. I went with the regular cab after having extended cabs for years because the extra space collects junk and cost quite a bit more. I'm forced to keep my truck cleaned out. I love it.

List out what you need vs. what you want and see how different the cost is. How much would it cost to do it yourself. Alloy wheels. Better shocks. Better radio. The list could go on.

9. Sep 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wouldn't let the tires be the deciding factor. Especially when its between 245 Dunlops and 265 rugged trail (or whatever they are...) All the factory tires suck, not just the Dunlops. In snow, its a toss up which is better, the Dunlops are narrower (better in snow), but with a worse tread pattern. Ideally, you would be looking at a more aggressive 245 for snow traction. Skewp is only on TRD/sport, NOT SR5. Seats? Are a little different between the SR5 and TRD, but neither is "better", just different.

If you bought from, I think 2009 through 2011, SR5 had the same shocks as TRD. They downgraded for 2012+. Either way, if the factory shocks would satisfy you, you can probably arrange to purchase some take-offs. A lot of people upgrade to a more adjustable shock, so there should be some laying around on various garage benches.

Almost forgot to mention: SR5 has better rear springs than TRD-OR.

10. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Im looking to get me a taco very soon as well and Im also new to TW. I've been using this forum to get some really good info.

Im not planning on going rock crawing anything soon but coming from a Civic im sure I WILL be going places i couldnt think of going before...

I think i will be going with a 6-speed DCSB TRD Sport..... i see some people just hate the scoops, and i im very aware of it being useless for anything other than looks, and imo it does just that, it makes the taco look really good, but one of the main deal breakers for me is the chrome.... i dont like chrome, specially on the rear bumber, on the grill not so much, but im still not a fan. im glad there is some packages with chrome for those who like it though.
    The mirrors and handles being color match to me its a plus and just make it fit my taste better.

i test drove a 2013 6-speed AC and i fell in love with it.

I'll keep on wandering around the forums and hopefully next time I post, I will be a taco owner.
    S1njin, By no means i intended to hijack your thread but given the subject i thought it would be a good thread to break in my 1st post. good luck on your purchase.

11. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    Thanks....

12. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    I had to go with the 2012 PreRunner SR5 in order to afford the Truck. I LOVE IT but really wish I just went with the TRD OffRoad or Sport. It's about 5K more but after seeing both it's worth it. Don't let yourself have buyers remorse cause you wanted more. There's always a way to make it fit your budget.

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    aggie0428

aggie0428 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Euless, TX
    Vehicle:
    It's a badass truck...not a Mexican food!
    Rims, removed pinstripe, chrome door handles, nerf bars.
    Hey guys - my first post on here and my first Tacoma! I would recommend the SR5, but would think twice about the access cab. Even if you don't have many people riding with you often, there is just not much room back there. I commute 20 miles a day in Dallas traffic and I'm averaging 19.5-20.5 mpg in my '12 SR5 double cab prerunner so it's pretty good mileage if you're worried about that. The double is perfect amount of room IMO. Oh and the stereo in the SR5 is pretty damn good too. JBL speakers and they hit pretty good for factory. Vibrates the mirrors pretty good, although I whish I had the touch screen just because I like some of the hi-tech stuff.

14. Sep 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    A TRD truck is not 5K more than a SR5 truck. Although depending on equiptment...I suppose it could be. But the package itself is not.

15. Sep 29, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    T1no33

T1no33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner V6 SR5
    - Partial Badge Removal & Dipped - Removed Mud Flaps - Blacked out Emblem - Blacked out Chrome Surrounding Grill - Salex Center Console Organizer - AntennaX 13" - Tinted Front Windshield - Derped Tacoma Emblems - Bridgestone 265/70/16 tires - Tuff AT Wheels - 3 and 1 spacer block lift (mistake big time) - Black Rear Bumper - Aries Bull Bar w/light rig
    Hey Larry! I shopped around everywhere within 200 miles and i got my Sr5 for 25450 and anything any dealer had with a trd badge was 30 to 31. I didnt order it new as I was working the deal based on what they had in stock so maybe thats why. I could of bought a 2011 trd with 25k miles for same price but I opted for new 2012 prerunner. Live the truck just wish i spent the extra change now.

16. Sep 29, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    im going to low ball the $#!+ out of the deal and work up lil by lil

17. Sep 29, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Dude Duderson

Dude Duderson Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    '00 Corolla LE
    I've done the same type of analysis..

A Dbl Cab 4x4 SR5 would suit my needs just fine.. but the local dealers only stock TRD Sports in my area of Ontario,Canada.

So need to save more $$$ still. The Taco's are crazy expensive here compared to the F-150' and RAM 1500.

18. Sep 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I understand. sounds like you got a good deal.

I suppose I should have posted...."the MSRP on a TRD package is not 5K more than an SR5". Again, options can skew that easially.

19. Sep 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    ….from looking at true pricing on the tacos i know that u can haggle more on a packaged truck than you can on stock truck regardless of the cab size….

20. Oct 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    SpE3dF0x

SpE3dF0x MD bound!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fox
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Tacoma Sport
    Nothing its tooo new!
    This is true---PLUS...your resale value is ALWAYS more when and if you decide to sale it.

Products Discussed in

To Top