1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying advice - 98 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by garyyetter, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Oct 17, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    Dear Gary,

You already got some good advice from members on this thread. Remember frame rust is a major design flaw in these first generation Tacomas.

Good Luck,
    Paul

2. Oct 17, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    And second gen too. I guess the third gen is to young to tell.

3. Oct 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    uh-oh, that frame is not good. If the outside is like this, what about inside?!
    Frames rust from the inside out, so what you CAN'T see is worse than what you can see.
    It's just waiting to rust through (I can peek a small rust hole starting...)

$8500?!? Absolutely no way for a truck with a frame in this condition.
    Pass, don't bother. Unless you want to negotiate it for MUCH lower and grab a project truck

4. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    TacomaJunkie8691

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    Rsysiu

Does the second generation series have frame rust through out the entire production run or is just certain years? You think with a ten year production run, Toyota would of figured out how to build a correct corrosion resistant frame.

Take it easy,
    Paul

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  5. Oct 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    TacomaJunkie8691

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    Dear Everybody,

It never fails to amaze me how much attention, passion and obsession these first generation Toyota Tacoma pickup trucks receive.

Here are the fundamental troubles with first generation Tacomas. A lot of what I am going to say here is going to be redundant for many of you, and I have posted this post it seems like a million times. First generation Tacomas suffer from frame rust. Most first generation cancer ridden Tacomas were purchased back by Toyota with the Toyota buy back program. Some of the later 2001 to 2004 Tacomas were given new frames, but not many. As a result of all of their frame rust issue, there is not a hell of them left. Even the newest first generation Tacomas, which are a 2004 model year are now almost 15 years old so finding one with relatively low mileage, and that does not have frame rust is going to be a huge undertaking especially if you don't live in California, Washington, Oregon, Florida, Texas, New Mexico or Arizona. If you don't live in one of those states finding one without frame rust is going to be a huge feat.

First generation Tacomas have an almost cult like following behind them, which is part of the reason why sites like this exist. To clarify this point, this is the same kind of attention and admiration first generation Toyota FJ 40 and first generation Camaros receive. Followers and admirers seem to be very emotionally attached to the body style of first generation Tacomas especially the 4x4 extra-cabs with the 5-speed and the 3.4 liter V6 engine, which is why the prices of these old Tacomas are so damn expensive. This is the same kind of mentality as the whole first generation Camaro craze. Camaro admirers are very attracted to first generation Camaros. The second generation Camaros, which are built just as well as the first generation Camaros don't create no where near the excitement of the first generation Camaros. Personally, I think the body lines of the first generation Camaros are by far Chevy's best body style of the Camaro.

First generation Tacomas with the 3.4 V6 do not get very good gas mileage especially when analyzing how large the truck is. A long bed F150 or Chevy C1500 will get just as good of gas mileage, and it will have more room and bed space.

If you are looking for a long term useful pick-up truck for yourself or your family, you will have to put in an incredible amount of time and energy in locating a first generation that fits the bill. Unless you are completely emotionally attached to the body style of first generations, your effort will be much better spent seeking out a second generation. You will have many more to choose from, and they are built just as well as the first generations. They have a ton of more options. Their stock seats are also quite a bit more comfortable, and they are a much better balanced truck. First generations are just small trucks that have a relatively big engine for their size when equipped with the 3.4, and they ride hard. First generation Tacomas are also way too expensive for how big of a truck they are. According to a lot of members on this site, second generation Tacomas also suffer from frame rust, but they are much newer so finding without frame rust is going to be a hell of a lot easier than a first generation.

Now that I have completely ripped first generation Tacomas a new asshole. I will tell everybody some good things about them. They are built solid, and they do have nice body lines especially the 1998 to 2000 series with that really nice looking front end. There are not too many trucks on the road as old as them. Mechanically, they are very sound. If it wasn't for frame rust, we would see many more of them on the road.

Make sure you do careful research before purchasing one of these Tacomas whether a first generation or a second generation.

Good Luck
    Paul

6. Oct 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM
    RysiuM

RysiuM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rysiu
    Was Golden State, now Poland EU
    Vehicle:
    1995 4x4 LX Ext Cab, I4 2.7, MT, 335K miles
    DD Deck+backup camera, LED DRL, All LED except H4 Hella
    "About 1.5 million vehicles are covered under terms of the settlement, which includes 2005-10 Tacoma midsize pickups, 2007-08 Tundra full-size pickups and 2005-08 Sequoia large SUVs. Vehicles are covered up to 12 years from the day of sale. "

Let me do the math: 1st gen started with the crappy frame in 1995. In 2008 Toyota issued extended warranty for models 1995-2004 and that was under the pressure from incidents years before. So Toyota knew at least before 2008 that the frame they put in trucks for the last 13 years is crap in relation to winter road chemicals.
    8 years later (in 2016) the same issue became public but now regarding 2005-2010 models. That means Toyota did not do a squat to fix the problem - just cutting the losses and include them in their business plan.

I would not hold my breath hoping 2010+ models are any better. Probably 6 years from now the 'extended warranty" will apply to next years. There are already reports about frame rusting on 5th gen 4Runner. As for me, I'm treating my 2012 4Runner the same way as 1995 Tacoma - fluid film every year.

7. Oct 23, 2018 at 10:26 AM
    3rYODA

3rYODA Don’t sell to me, I don’t pay.

Member:
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 white 4x4 TRD
    Fox 2.5’s up front, icon 2.0 rear shocks, stock leafs, !Meso map and dome lights make all the difference in the world!
    I have a clean 4x4 Tacoma for sale! I’m in Santa Clarita CA though

Products Discussed in

To Top