1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying first brand new truck... Problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff3004x4, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    Dealerships never want to give you a value for your trade in if you are not ready to go ahead with the purchase. Reason? They don't want to give you the ammo to shop around.

My advice - price out the truck that you want, factor in your trade and determine a 'difference' that you want to pay. Factor some discount on the Tacoma, what you think is reasonable for your truck and get to the 'difference' that you would have to pay/finance. Go into the dealership and work the deal. Let them serve you numbers first, then go from there. If your 'difference' is reasonable, you should be able to get a deal pretty easily.

As a second option, if you have the time. Sell your truck on Craigslist, then figure out the cost of the Tacoma you want and go in and buy the truck.

Anyways, good luck and find a good Toyota salesman that will work with you.

2. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    In my opinion, there is no need to lie. Again, figure out what you think is a fair 'difference' and after they serve you there numbers, make this offer. If not, then walk. If the numbers are possible, they will not let you leave.

3. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Dealing with sales people is tough. Keep in mind that you do this once every year or two or five or ten. They do it every day they go to work. Thinking that you can go in and maintain control of the situation is risky at best and at worst, will play right into their hands.

If you can sell your truck on your own, you simplify the negotiation and that will be a big help.

Next, I'll toss another thought our way. My first new car was a '75 VW Rabbit that we bought as it hit the ground. They were in tight supply then and didn't sit around the dealer for long. And we loved it. (And yeah, I have kids older than you. ;) My eldest celebrated his 31st birthday today.)

In fact, my first three trucks were bought new, with the second and third custom ordered Fords. I could pick out exactly what I wanted. But I paid a premium for that. I justified it to myself back then that if I drove the car for ten years, the extra I'd pay for that luxury would be worth it.

Since then we've gotten smarter. The last new car we bought was my wife's Vivid Yellow '02 Mazda Miata, and only because it was a special order color. (About 450 came into the US making it one of the rarest and definitely best looking Miatas of all time.)

Cars today are much more durable than back then. You can buy a used vehicle and let the original owner take the hit on the first couple of years of depreciation. On Saturday we bought an '06 double cab, TRD SR5 with nearly 50K miles on it. And it looks great. Carfax documents regular oil changes and one previous owner. And it's thousands less than a new one. (Hmmm... Not as much less as I expected, but I guess that's a reflection of the resale values of the Tacoma.)

If you're pinched for cash, I would certainly consider looking for a decent used Tacoma as a strategy to make your $$$ go further.

Either way, good luck selling your existing truck and moving to a Tacoma!

-hank

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Also, after you negotiate the price and right before you sign...have them throw in a few goodies like a bed liner, roof rack, seat covers, etc. Have them agree to a few tsb's while your at it....and get everything in writing.

5. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    rvtsteve

rvtsteve Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Albany, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC MGM SB
    (sorry for the novel! I just came from the dealership)

Hey man, I'm buying my first new truck as well! It's fun and maddening! First let me just say the advice here on TW is invaluable! I've learned a lot and it's saved me a couple grand already, no joke.

I've been in negotiations with my local dealer for a couple weeks now. Apparently it's difficult to get a hold of a DC SB TRD Sport in Magnetic Gray in Oakland...meh. The longer it takes them the lower the price, IMO. Last week I had them down to $30,800 before ttl, this week I have them down to $29,800 but the truck won't be here until mid November. Gives me some time to see if I can get few a hundred more from them, some add-ons or from another dealer. It's tougher when it's a popular truck in a seemingly popular color I guess.

One thing I've learned over the past few weeks of talking with these guys is don't worry about their end. They're not your friend and you're not there to "keep the lights on" or "pay the rent", you're there to get the truck you want for the price you want. When you're ready and the truck you want is on the lot, it's the end of the month...you're in the driver's seat.

I know what you mean about it not being a give and take negotiation like you might expect. They'll try to get you to give them a price and they won't really tell you anything or negotiate too much, they just try and get you to give them a bigger number, or smaller if it comes to a trade-in. Know what you want to get for your trade and how much you want to pay for your truck and tell them what you want. Know the invoice prices and TMV price, edmunds.com for that stuff, and go for the price you want to pay in that range.

I straight up told the guy: he asked "What do you think is fair for you and for us?" I said "I don't really care what's fair for you, no offense. If it comes to your pocket or mine, I'm going to choose mine." They were going to sell the car from under me if I stuck to my low price so I budged a few hundred, I still haven't signed any paperwork so they still might sell it if a sucker walks in ready to buy at higher price, but I'll be hunting away trying to find the best deal anyway.

Don't let them pressure you, sometimes they do it in subtle ways, be informed and stick to your guns. Good Luck!

6. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i agree with the dont tell them you got a trade till you negotiated the price of the truck first, then when you get to the price your comfortable with (lowest you feel you can go) throw in the trade!

i went between 2 for about a week with a trade in, never in that week i told them i had a trade. got the lowest price finally out of one dealership then said oh btw i got a trade. i paid 17500 for my 08 5speed prerunner 2.7 access cab with 7 miles on it, they had to have it delivered from the dealership that was their competition. got my trade in for 10.5 so financed 7g! i got a smoking deal

7. Oct 26, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    your lucky you have different dealerships to go to...here on maui we only have one, if you dont like it you gotta fly to another island and check them out...sheddy

8. Oct 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I did the same thing with carmax. Understand that they only will buy on the trade in value. Not the private party retail. Doesn't matter if you are not trade in different vehicle at carmax. They only offer trade in value.

9. Oct 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Jeff3004x4

Jeff3004x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    East Killingly CT
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica
    Stock for now
    rvtsteve you are right these guys are great I have been a member for a very short time the advice I have received so far has been great. I am reading every post you guys make and will be using your advice shortly. I am going to start with internet sales to get the area dealerships best price, the lowest price wins. I'm going to negoatiate a deal with out talking about my trade, then after everything is on the table I will mention my trade. If I dont get a fair offer, hello craigslist. Thank you guys so much.

Products Discussed in

To Top