1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BUYING MY 17 TRD SPORT Access Cab

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by Normagene, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Nov 11, 2016 at 5:05 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Imo, dont put a trd pro badge on it!

LocoMocoSD and PROseur like this.
  2. Nov 11, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    Normagene

Normagene [OP] MUTANT TACO

Member:
    New England
    I named it "MUTANT TACO" well before it arrived. The whole idea was to mod it where you, at first glance, can't figure out what the heck model is it.

The Black Fender Flares and Front Valance make it look like the Off Road model, until you see it has the Hoop Scoop, then you might think it's a Pro, but then you'll be like Wait A Minute, the Pro doesn't come as an Access Cab. So......it must be a MUTANT TACO! LOL

The bottom line is I'm just having fun and making it the way I like!

Oh, and it's gonna be a "TEXAS EDITION" which actually doesn't exists. Well not yet. Hahaha

Spare Parts likes this.
  3. Nov 11, 2016 at 11:09 PM
    sonocotaco

sonocotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Rohnert Park
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport AC 4x4 Super White
    Nicely done!

4. Nov 12, 2016 at 5:09 AM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Forgot to mention that when I took out the grille assembly, and removed the stock grille, before inserting the TRD Pro Grille, I took the time to clean/seal, and wax the surround.

Figured it was the easiest time and way to reach all the nook and crannies. Two coats of sealer, then two coats of that Once a Year polish. Think it's called Nufinish or something.

I'll get a pic later while the sunshine is on it. Much better than those dark pics I posted yesterday.

Think I may remove the "decals" on the bedsides. The 4x4 Sport decal, too big, and I think it will just give it a cleaner look.

Temps today are only gett'n to 48, so I'll get the Skid Plate on, plus I'll take the tailgate off and bring it inside so I can do the vinyl TACOMA Letters. Think it will be much easier with it on my workbench.

After it get my vinyl and Texas Edition badge on it I'll then give it 2 coats of Sealer and later today, or maybe even tomorrow, I'll put a couple coats of wax on it!

5. Nov 12, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    melman8r

melman8r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road AC w\Prem & Tech Pkg. in Quicksand
    Great job and good plan. My AC OR was due in 12/8, dealer texted me yesterday; my truck is IN!!! Wowzer, I go this afternoon to finalize the deal. I'm excited.

6. Nov 12, 2016 at 6:41 AM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Congrats! Ya Definitely Exciting! Yahooooooo!

I had/have no plans of ever really Off Roading so that's one of the reasons I went with the Sport model. Plus I love the look with the Hood Scoop!

But the Off Road Black Fender Flares and Black Front Valance IMO look way way better than the Sport model color matched ones.

That's why I immediately dipped them Black! I thought it was just too much white and needed that little extra something something.

Plus the TRD Pro wheels, Matte Black, IMO look more rugged/masculine. Especially with the BFG K02s!

The stock tires on the Sport model, Toyo Open Country A30s, look like car tires, very sad look'n.

Black & White, that's the theme I decided even before I got the truck.

So what color did ya order?

And good luck!

7. Nov 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM
    melman8r

melman8r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Off Road AC w\Prem & Tech Pkg. in Quicksand
    QS

8. Nov 12, 2016 at 12:11 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Got the Skid Plate on, as well as the "TACOMA" Letters and some badges. Messed up the Texas Edition one on the tailgate so it may need to be replaced.

Tomorrow I'll remove the decals on the bed and touch up a few small things. Otherwise I'm sorta caught up. I'll swing by the shop and check on a leveling kit. Plus make an appointment for the window tint & eyebrow.

A couple pics:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

SilverII, markelhof and Spare Parts like this.
  9. Nov 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    SO true, when I ordered my truck I didn't think about the shoes, I know its a "sport" but its still a truck put something with a little aGREEEsive look to it. but I will say the stocks ride nice.

10. Nov 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    I guess I'll never know what the stock tires ride like, since I swapped them out right away. But I will say the BFG K02s ride very nice. And to my surprise they are quiet as well. Thought they'd be really loud.

11. Nov 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM
    KAVEMAYNE

KAVEMAYNE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport access cab 4x4 manual
    King 2.5s front and back toytec add a leaf Total chaos ucas 265/75/16 fun country tires Stealth custom series f5s 3.5bs
    Can't believe you painted the fenders black! I think the color matched looks way better personally.. especially in white, but none the less your truck looks sick man. Impressed you started the build with like 30 miles on the truck, so boss. You should definitely take off the bedside decals if you haven't already though

12. Nov 14, 2016 at 5:21 AM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Don't believe it. LOL

No Paint......Plasti-Dip!

So it can very easily be put back to original.

That's the Best part about owning your own Truck, you mod it the way YOU like!

So I'm,guessing you left your fender flares as is, but me personally, I just thought it was way way too much White and looked bland/blah. Didn't have any Pop.

I definitely prefer the look of the Off Road Model in White over the Sport Model. But as you can see mine now looks just like the Off Road Model. Which is the whole point, that's why I named it: The "MUTANT TACO". A mixer of several models.

Funny you mention the bedside decals because I did remove them yesterday. Just prior to giving The MUTANT TACO its first bath! Followed by claying it, and today I will Seal it and then try to get 2 or 3 coats of Wax on her!

Temps should reach 61 today! Perfect weather with plenty of Sunshine!

13. Nov 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Well that sure took a lot longer than I thought. Spend a good 4 hours today. An hour applying and removing the Sealer.

Waited an hour (lunch break!) then started waxing it. Used my Porter Cable and two different pads. Got two coats on it, and wished I'd had enough time for a third coat.

The first coat seemed to get absorbed, and the second coat started to feel soft and slick. Really needs a third coat, then it will be slippery to where anything you put on it will just slide right off.

Maybe later this week the weather will cooperate and I can get that third coat on!

14. Nov 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Apologies, but your truck looks like a pep boys special.

LocoMocoSD and inwood customs like this.
  15. Nov 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Hey, how 'bout that, I might be the first girl with a pep boy truck!

Thanks
    Norma

16. Nov 15, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    avitaco

avitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB 4x4
    I think it looks great! But it really only matters if you like it. Half the fun is just doing the mods and making things the way you like them.

markelhof and LocoMocoSD like this.
  17. Nov 15, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Thanks!

Ya I agree with you completely, it definitely only matters to the owner, and I Love mine!

I'm having so much fun with all the mods. I've had it for almost a week now and still really haven't even driven it. LOL

Been so busy with my mods and whatnots. Still has less than 100 miles! Actually I think it's more like 60 or so. Hahaha, but what can I say, gotta get everything done before the cold weather sets in.

I hope to get a few more coats of wax on it this week. I'm using the Best wax I could find, same wax we use on my (hubbies) supercars and Muscle cars! Pinnacle Souveran! Great stuff!

LocoMocoSD likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    Took a pic this morning. This is what it looks like now without the bedside decal.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

markelhof likes this.
  19. Nov 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    Normagene

Member:
    New England
    I got a call from the dealership owner. He just wanted to know how I liked the truck, and if I had any questions.

I thought that was very nice of him to call. He also said to feel free to contact him anytime if I ever have any questions/problems in the future.

I have to say my entire purchasing experience was really great. All the people I had to deal with were a pleasure to work with and they made every effort to make sure I had no questions/issues unresolved.

Spare Parts likes this.
  20. Nov 15, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Did you work the price down? That's when things seem to change. It's almost like the more the price is worked down, so is their pleasantness.

Products Discussed in

To Top