1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

buying used gaming pc, worth it?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rs5, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Apr 17, 2015 at 5:20 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I'm well aware an SSD is a hard drive....I can also buy 2- 2TB drives for the cost of 1 SSD.

My Steam library has 108 games in it, do the math...and no, I'm not going to download just a few and keep the others in the 'cloud'. I want to play them when I want to and not having to constantly manage storage because I got a little SSD.

And yes, Win8 blows, it sucked so bad that Microsoft is jumping over Win9 and going straight to Win10. Win8 sucked the life right out of 9...

2. Apr 17, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    It's still referred to as a hard drive... I'm not sure if you are being technical or fighting marketing people, but it's still going to be popularly called a HDD.

I have 1TB of just straight music myself sitting in a drawer, but it's all in a mess and I need to weed through all the garbage... uggh but I'm lazy and it's easier to just close the drawer again :p

but why would you want to? :D

I have about 100 games on a CD-R. They are all terrible arcade games emulated for an xbox. You wanna play Burger Time? :D OK that stuff needs to be thrown out. Here I am talking about getting rid of stuff and there might still be a copy of DOA Beach Volleyball lurking in the closet... wth...
    OK, back on subject: Having your entire Steam library downloaded is your prerogative, but I personally hate load times and really, are you realistically swapping through that many games in a week or a month? I'm just being an advocate for a cleaner, meaner machine.

:rolleyes:

Being realistic and honest, I'm not sure what 8.1 is causing you to stumble on.
    If you are looking for flash and glamor, there's really nothing compelling MS did, so I get that. There's pointless features, but nothing game-stopping. Those things you end up ignoring or frankly never mess with. The compelling piece is speed. Win8.1 is fast and getting better as graphics manufacturers enhance their drivers.
    The start menu is gone and now you have a start screen. Once you get past that and ignore the modern UI apps you will rarely use, interaction is really close to the same as on 7 when you strip it down. I find there's less clutter in the way I use it. The only time I found it a nuisance was on Server 2012 when there was no start button on the taskbar and no dedicated power button (that's solved now)
    At work I actually have more productivity on Win8.1. The OS is rock solid and fast. HyperV is my love puppet. Multi-monitor usage is a better experience, even if it's just small changes.
    If there was a glaring problem, you bet I'd be kicking it to the curb. I'm on a computer at least 10 hours every day as a developer and gamer, so if something impedes my flow, I'm going to gut it.

3. Apr 17, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    Cykososhull

Cykososhull Better not bring your kids

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    uniden cb, Grey wire, Deck plate, OME 883 coils, Dakar w/D6XL, 4X innovations sliders, tinted windows, debadged, TG low profile bumper, Piaa lights, Allied soft 8s, Bighorn 285,75,16s
    Subscribe to Overclock.net. I've been there for 6 years and also build pcs. Save that 500 and build your own. Its really not hard. For 500 you can get a decent recent setup. Remember this, your power supply is your most important feature that many overlook.

If you go to OC.net, you will get tons of help from friendly peeps like myself. ;)

4. Apr 18, 2015 at 6:28 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I honestly haven't heard many people at all refer to SSDs as HDDs, unless they're Best Buy employees. I hate marketing on storage devices though.

5. Apr 18, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    snowbrdd

snowbrdd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another good place is hardforum.com. I'm personally on both sites.

6. Apr 21, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    rs5

rs5 [OP] TACOLIFE

Member:
    Tampa, FL 33578
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Off-Road
    K&N Air Intake
    OP here holy hell this thread really took off lol im a bit wiser now and using pcpartpicker.com to put together the best gaming rig for arpund $1500 problem is when it comes to the mobo and the gpu everyone recommeneds something different im the type of person that likes the best of the best so im really unsure of what to go with when it comes to the mobo and gpu please someone enlighten me!

Here's what ive put together http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N7JGRB

7. Apr 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM
    rs5

rs5 [OP] TACOLIFE

Member:
    Tampa, FL 33578
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Intake
    Thanks man

8. Apr 21, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    I've yet to overclock my i5-2500k. However, I've seen people work magic on that particular CPU.

9. Apr 21, 2015 at 9:46 AM
    rs5

rs5 [OP] TACOLIFE

Member:
    Tampa, FL 33578
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Intake
    Everything i read encourages the i5 4690k over the i7 because the i7 is overkill

10. Apr 21, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Yeah, not sure where anyone would get the "i7 is for servers" idea from. Any true server is going to have Xeons in it, probably two of them, maybe even more.

Regarding SSDs, I wouldn't run anything else as an OS drive at this point. The difference is dramatic. They also run cooler, though power use is about the same.

The price for larger ones is coming down, too. I believe I saw 500 GB 850 Evos going for less than $200 not long ago. Almost bought one.

11. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    rs5

rs5 [OP] TACOLIFE

Member:
    Tampa, FL 33578
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Intake
    My thought exactly. Is tge a brand of gpu or mobo thats better than the rest? Or what would you recommend as far as mobo and gpu go for the i7 4790k

12. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    snowbrdd

snowbrdd Well-Known Member

Member:
    It looks good.

One thing you should understand with current Intel boards is that they have very little impact on overclocking results nowadays. Motherboards should be chosen based on it having the features you want/need, not what is the "best." If you're after gaming performance, spending less on the motherboard and more on the GPU will get you a better experience. Lots of people recently have had problems with Asus's RMA service, should your board ever fail, so keep that in mind as well.

Samsung's Evo series has been having firmware problems lately. I would pick another line of SSDs.

1tb drives have fairly poor $/GB. Go look for a 2+ tb drive. 2tb can be had for around $60 on sale, and 3tb have gone as low as $70-80. If you have to wait for a sale, it would be worth it. Check slickdeals.net for deals.

750 watts is a fair bit of overkill for your setup unless you plan to SLI. I would try to slim back on the motherboard and PSU, and upgrade the GPU to a GTX 980. Though given the price gap between a 970 and a 980, I doubt that's possible. Realistically your setup only needs ~500 watts overclocked.

8.1 with Classic Shell is just as good, and most people get used to the 8.1 default interface fairly rapidly anyways. No reason to go with 7, especially if it's more expensive. Both can be upgraded to 10 anyways for free.

The i7 only adds hyperthreading over the i5, unless you go with a complete platform change to x99. Single player FPS and small map FPS definitely will not benefit from the additional threads of hyperthreading. Large 64 player maps will due to all the physics calculations being easily multithreaded. DX12 will make things easier to multithread, but adoption rate remains to be seen. RTS games hare almost exclusively depend heavily on one thread, so hyperthreading doesn't add anything. Most other games simply aren't CPU bottlenecked at all, they're primarily GPU bottlenecked.

However, it has been firmly established that the i7 4790k will on average overclock 300-400 mhz higher than the i5 4690k. If the OP does decide to upgrade to an i7 4790k, a good place to buy it from will be siliconlottery.com. Guaranteed 4.8 ghz for retail price.

I have always used MSI boards, because their customer service has always been excellent to me. Gigabyte is good as well. I hear good things about ASRock, but haven't dealt with them myself.

As far as the GPU, pretty much all 970s will be similar. The difference will be in the aftermarket coolers, and you can do your own research on which cools better, overclocks higher, etc.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  13. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Asus, Asrock and Gigabyte for mainboards seem to be the favorites on some of the OC forums, and EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte for GPUs.

14. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:39 AM
    rs5

rs5 [OP] TACOLIFE

Member:
    Tampa, FL 33578
    Vehicle:
    K&N Air Intake
    You guys are awesome now i have a solid idea of which components to use thank you so much much

Products Discussed in

To Top