1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Your First Handgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Aug 29, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    As noted in posts above, no one on the internet can determine the best gun for you. That said I'll weigh in-

#1 Commander size 1911. Decent compromise between range and carry, and I'm a die-hard .45acp fan. I've owned several including Colt, Kimber, STI, and Sig. Best bang for the buck is the base Sig Carry, IMO

I've owned an M&P 45, and got rid of it because of the ridiculous trigger. Apex doesn't make the upgrade trigger for the .45 model.
    I carry in summer an M&P Shield in 9mm just because it's light and small, but I have had no issues with the Kel-Tec PF11, which is substantially cheaper.

Bottom line is, get out and try some. For your first you don't want to be stuck with something you can't shoot.

2. Aug 29, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    Jeepnick

Jeepnick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh
    My .02 is go to a store and hold a bunch of guns
    In my experience what I like online I hate to hold and vise versa
    Renting at a range is good to to see if you like shooting them

Tom0662 and TheFang like this.
  3. Nov 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    DBTaco

DBTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x4 TRD off road
    I'm going to take a Concealed Carry class soon, and I've been looking at handguns and trying to decide which I would like. I've looked at videos on youtube a bunch from hick045 or soemthing like that. I'm debating between just on research the Ruger LC9, Beretta Nano, or the S&W M&P Shield. All in a 9mm. I know the Nano doesn't have a slide lock which I don't know how important that is, the LC9 has a long trigger pull. Right now I'm thinking about carrying it in a IWB holster behind my back I think. Is that where most of you carry? Any help would be appreciated.

4. Nov 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC

Apex makes a duty/carry action enhancement kit for the M&P 45

5. Jan 24, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
  6. Jan 24, 2015 at 7:08 PM
    Dangerdave

Dangerdave Official TW jeep representative

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    20 F150
    Lol de-cockers scare me. I know they are safe but they feel so wrong

7. Oct 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    I highly recommend you get a small .22 pistol for plinking and cheap quiet shooting for confidence in your gun handling. Next, decide it you like wheel guns or autos. A house gun can be any caliber but 9 mm is hard to beat for the civilian and a Glock 17 harder still. If you are a hunter too, a Smith .357/.38 was my long time friend along with a Ruger 101 which I still have.

A carry gun can be had by a bunch of good manufacturers but the Glock 26 in 9 mm I carried for years and was happy with. Now, I settled on a .38 SW 642 DOA air weight. It is far and away, the safest, lightest and most reasonably powered gun I have shot. It is also one of the most widely sold revolvers for the last dozen years for that reason.

Don't laugh, but next on my list would and still might be soon, a 9mm revolver, the LCR DOA by Ruger. Good power and compactness.

Wheel guns from Smith and Ruger and Glock autos I found were the safest and most reliable guns made. I feel guns with safeties are false security and recommend in general the double action only revolver and safe action by Glock. As a former policeman who has advised many civilians in choosing firearms for self defense, the DOA revolver and the service weapons carried by police but in 9mm, are all good safe, reliable choices. You have dedicated training choosing weapons for you. Any used by major law enforcement agencies would be worthwhile considering first.

In summary, I feel it's important if you buy an auto you consider the 9mm first for resonable power, easy shooting and cheaper ammo to encourage practice. A wheel gun should be a 357/.38 Revolver. Above all, get a small .22 auto to practice with. Lastly, sign up for an accredited training course and get your concealed weapons permit. Practice safely, shoot safely and often so you feel confident and safe when carrying.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    jpb2, richardbui23 and ChewbacaTW like this.
  8. Oct 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    What is this cheap .22 that you speak of? :p

9. Oct 23, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    You can go to most gun ranges and most of the people there will let you shot their guns. Some would ask if you supply ammo. But that's the best way to feel a gun out. Way better than holding it at a gun store

10. Oct 23, 2015 at 6:12 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Ha, ha .....right .
    I hope I said small .22 auto that was cheap to shoot. :poking:
    I still have an early .22 practice gun, a 3" SS Charter Arms pathfinder
    Great little gun.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  11. Nov 1, 2015 at 7:49 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    ^^^This. Good advice for a first time buyer. Get what feels good in your hand and is comfortable to shoot regardless of round size. After you get nice and used to your first gun, then you can start getting particular about caliber.

12. May 29, 2016 at 4:28 PM
    Tom0662

Tom0662 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORSB
    Yup, go handle several. I have many different styles and sizes and I like how they
    all feel and shoot. But the next probably wouldn't like a certain grips
    style or size depending on hand size and number of fingers on the hand. :notsure:

13. May 29, 2016 at 4:54 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    I've got a different take than most. A person's first had gun should absolutely be a double action only 38/357 revolver. They are as safe and as simple as a handgun can possibly be. Just stick out your fist, squeeze, and it goes bang. Every time no matter what. 38s are very cheap to shoot and somebody new should shoot a lot. Then shoot some more and then shot a lot more. There is just no substitute for building skills and muscle memory so that the weapon can be handled safely and effectively under any conditions and any kind of stress. After a few thousand rounds down range, maybe take a look at something sexier and more fun to shoot. Nobody should ever buy a striker fire hand gun for their first one no matter how popular, sexy, fun, and easy to shoot they are. I'm not even convinced that anyone should be using one for daily carry. Just way too easy to fuk up with one. And I say that as a hypocrite that carries one. But I have put thousands and thousands of rounds downrange over the decades.

14. May 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    Tom0662

Tom0662 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRDORSB
    Agree. I have a Chiappa Rhino 2" which is very easy to carry.
    Is also a fun one to shoot. .38 feels like shooting a .22
    .357 a little more kick.

15. Jun 29, 2016 at 7:49 PM
    Mugsy7

Mugsy7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mugsy
    Delco, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR DCSB
    Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau, front tinted windows
    There's only one gun that's right for you to buy and that's the one you are most comfortable handling/shooting. Go to the range. Rent the ones you think you like. Shoot them a few times meaning after a couple of trips to the range. Make an informed purchase. This is the soundest advice for a first time purchase I can offer.

16. Aug 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...anyone who is "new" and unfamiliar w/ safe handling and etiquette ought to take the initiative for introductory training, get hands on both revolvers and pistols under the supervison of an RSO... as for "daily carry", ...again, go the next step, more training, and i don't mean just the "CCW class", ..but more advanced training so you get a sense of how to react, not react, and effectively employ the handgun in the worst case scenario. this includes knowing how to solve the most unsuspecting "problems", under duress, quickly, ..such as malfunctions, be it pistol or revolver...

...striker-fired handguns, or semi-autos in general, are great for "carry", ...first, generally a higher, sometimes much higher, loaded capacity than a revolver, second, ...the ease of reloading w/ a spare mag compared to moon clips/etc for a revolver..., ...thin frame and mag profiles for good concealment and body-hugging wearability (especially w/ single-stack mag designs), and, perhaps (arguable) ergonomics that have been leveraged by trainers (i.e. the thumbs-forward grip, ...low bore axis for controlling recoil muzzle flip, etc.), and heck, even the ability to mount miniature optics/red dot sights...

17. Aug 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
  18. Oct 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    96accord

96accord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
    I posted in the "What was your first handgun" thread but probably shouldn't have.

I am a gun n00b. I'm not afraid to admit it.

In Maryland you are required to take a mandatory 4 hour HQL (Handgun Qualification License) course and then wait roughly 4 weeks for the MSP (Maryland State Police) to "approve" you. Once they approve you you get your HQL in the mail and are able to purchase a handgun.

I've shot a few handguns but want to shoot a few 9mm handguns at the range. Fortunately it's about 5 minutes from my house. :thumbsup:

It will be a home defense and range gun.

I like this one. XD(M)® 4.5″ FULL SIZE 9MM

Someone I know has the compact version of this but I would get the Full Size.

[​IMG]

Of course if they have it to rent I will do that.

Anyone have this? Opinions? Better recommendations?

19. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    96accord

96accord Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
    @AWF ROWD - I saw your gun range picture in the TW Live thread.

Any advice for a gun n00b? Thanks

20. Oct 22, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
    M&P Shield 9mm is my daily carry weapon...reliable, solid weapon...!

Products Discussed in

To Top