1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buyobuyo's Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by buyobuyo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Dec 10, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo [OP] Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    I got in on the fiberglass group buy in early October and ordered fenders and bedsides. They finally got to the shipping terminal, and I picked them up on Dec 4th. I pulled them out of the shipping box and didn't find any shipping damage which is really nice.

Yesterday, I went out to explore Bald Mountain with a group of local TW members. All of my pictures and pictures of my truck from other members are on my google photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/usxOawX139n5xRAt2

I didn't notice yesterday, but today I noticed that I bashed the rear bedside at some point.

20171210_125842.jpg

ready6delta, Coot83 and Cody23 like this.
  2. Dec 11, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Looks like a good time man didn’t realize you were getting glass...who made the glass?

3. Dec 11, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    I wasn't originally planning on getting glass. The GB was a good deal and I decided to say fuck it instead of having to chop up my stock fenders. They're from Advanced Fiberglass Concepts.

05Taco4x4 and Coot83[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Dec 12, 2017 at 4:31 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Ah nice man, I think those are the best in town for their stuff as they swap their molds out a lot to keep things dialed. When do you plan to throw them on? If you need any help with them let me know as mounting glass is actually fun.

5. Dec 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    No idea at this point. Still trying to get the last of the bits and pieces bought. If I can get motivated on Friday, I'm going to head to Fredericksburg and visit a couple shops to see if they can do the suspension install/welding work. I may stop at the body shop that fixed the tree damage earlier this year to see if they can fit/paint/line the glass and what it would cost.

6. Dec 12, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    A shop? I thought you were gonna do it on a weekend since you got another car anyway.

7. Dec 12, 2017 at 2:39 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    I don't have anywhere to do the paint work, so I'll need a shop to that at the very least. I may as well see what they'll charge to fit the glass while I'm talking to them. If it doesn't double/triple the cost, then it maybe worth it to have them do the fitment. I also want to have the inside of the glass coated with some sort of bedliner product, so I'm looking into roll/brush-on liners as well. Never having done it before, it makes sense to me to have the glass fitted before lining the inside, but I don't know.

As for the suspension stuff, I don't have a welder, so I need a shop to do the welding work for the suspension install. I could pick up a welder, but I'm out of practice. I also don't know about setting pinion angle or shock tab and bump stop setup, so it makes sense to have a shop experienced with it do it.

I could tear the truck apart for weeks, but I'm not sure if the rental management company or town would bitch.

8. Dec 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    If I had to guess, its gonna cost about another 4-500 per side for them to do the fitment. I went to a shop where I really like the painters work for mine and I was charged almost a grand to just paint my bedsides, but again I like the painter and his work. That being said...had I went with him mounting it would have been another $500 or so. As far as shops go, I think just to install my front a shop in fredericksburg wanted anywhere from 850-1000 easily and they wouldnt touch my axles that had to be extended. Good thing with you being 2wd that isnt a problem for ya. As far as the rear, Im still gauging on what shop to go with while I collect the last of my parts for it. If you want to get all panels color matched and installed with the front and rear I would have about 3-4k easily. I had a member help me out on my LT front install, but dont kid yourself it will take a while and unless you have ripped out your whole front end you might find some parts are close to being seized if they arnt already. Lastly, I would be prepared to get some cam bolts...in your case if you were to do the install, you got another car to fetch parts if needed.

TacoFMS likes this.
  9. Dec 12, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    I'm already planning on picking up new cam bolts and UCA bolts.

I know installing the front myself wouldn't be difficult, but it doesn't make sense for me to install the front just to have someone rip it apart to weld cam tab gussets, coil bucket gussets and limit straps. Along the same line of thought, it doesn't make sense to have a shop rip the stock suspension apart to do that work and then put it back together for me to install the LT kit.

Basically, it boils down to have a shop do it all or buy a welder, practice, and install it myself.

10. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:41 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Don't worry about the UCA bolts as your kit should have their own supplied parts for that. I do agree it takes away the point of installing cam tabs to turn around and rip it down again. It will be interesting to see the results you find with a shop.

11. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    No UCA bolts with the Baja Kits setup. Just the big washers that go on the ends of the bushings.

12. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Damn that’s interesting I got whole new uca bolts with mine.

TacoFMS likes this.
  13. Dec 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Interesting. Looking at stock photos of different kits, it doesn't look like any of them come with UCA bolts. Maybe some vendor's kits used to come with them, and they've stopped supplying them since.

14. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    I will check out my truck when I get it back, but I thought for some reason I had to swap out the UCA bolts themselves to accommodate the bigger spacers on the outer portions of the shock towers. Honestly though if you can safely remove your UCA bolts for the install then they should be good to reinstall.

TacoFMS likes this.
  15. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Getting the UCA bolts out is a pita, but it can be done without cutting them. When @Me. Projekt and @TacoCat swapped suspensions Caleb's passenger UCA bolt was seized up pretty good in the bushings. Caleb, @Lots2Learn58, and I fought that bitch for at least 30-60 minutes to get it to free up. New UCA bolts and nuts are less than $23 for the pair, so I figure it's cheap insurance to have on hand.

HCJ likes this.
  16. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    Mr. Projekt

Mr. Projekt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB TRD-OR 4x4 Army Green
    yea those things were a pain... but WD-40, and some elbow grease and it'll eventually let go. haha

17. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Agreed man doesn't hurt to have them in case, although I would hold onto the receipts. Yea man, I think it was by the grace of god that I was doing another install that day and couldn't make it up for Caleb's. That one sounded like the gauntlet.

18. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:35 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Dude any movement on getting a Scooby? I hear the ride is up for sale again.

19. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:37 AM
    Mr. Projekt

Mr. Projekt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB TRD-OR 4x4 Army Green
    it's not up for sale.... yet.

just something I'm looking in to right now... havent decided what I'm going to do yet.

20. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:40 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Dude its kind of a bummer you didn't make any footage of the experiences with your previous rides. In a way, you could have a cool youtube channel with episodes about the build of a vehicle that leads to the creation of the next. Except unlike shows that are money driven, yours would be strictly due to what floats your boat next.

To Top