1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buyobuyo's Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by buyobuyo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo [OP] Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Mine looks like it is just riveted on. There are 2 big ones that hold on the gas door and 4 smaller ones that hold in the rest of it. I didn't notice any spot welds, so I'll have to look at it again.

Overall it felt good at highway speeds (maybe a tiny bit bouncy). It was more noticeable when I dropped to around town speeds. It also felt like there was a little bit of a cyclic pushing feeling at around town speeds, but I've felt similar before. I just have the factory leafs and hanger brackets in the bed right now.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    3pooches and Coot83[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Ah then it probably was rivets that held it on. Either way, air chisel can pop those off in seconds. Cyclic pushing feeling...could be the bypasses if you have never heard a bypass before. Its a bunch of little pops that in a way is kind of soothing.

3. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Not pops. More like a cyclic pushing like the truck is being shoved from behind.

4. Oct 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Sounds kind of weird...so like the ass orientation of the truck is kind of wonky? I guess if it was like that before then it should be good. I wonder if the slip yoke added something to it?

5. Oct 10, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    I don't know. If you come down this weekend, we can go for a quick cruise, so you can feel it.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 12, 2018 at 8:34 AM
    quis23

quis23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duan
    good ole' Manassas VA
    waiting on pictures of the truck :boink:

7. Oct 12, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
  8. Oct 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Rain thwarted getting pictures yesterday after work. Today, it was just my general after work laziness. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

9. Oct 13, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Here's some pictures of the new rear setup.

20181013_164601.jpg

20181013_164625.jpg

20181013_164639.jpg

20181013_164647.jpg

20181013_164653.jpg

20181013_164717.jpg

20181013_164730.jpg

20181013_164742.jpg

20181013_164701.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    LocoLocal, 3pooches and ChadsPride like this.
  10. Oct 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Hate to say it...your bumps look about as low as mine. If that’s the case, kiss a few inches of travel good bye.

11. Oct 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Look at the amount of shock shaft showing. That's all that's possible with my setup unfortunately. I saw that when I picked it up and instantly started thinking I'm going to need to upgrade to 16s through the bed.

In general, the install looks good to me, but I have a few gripes. :argue:

1) In the last picture, you can see the plates that bolt the @ARCHIVE Garage shock to the wheel wells. His instructions say that it's not a bad idea to make a brace to go between them for extra rigidity, and I told Lance (the owner) at IPOR that was something I wanted done when I got the install quote and dropped off my truck. I talked to the guy at IPOR that did the work on my truck, and he told me that he talked to Archive Garage and decided that I didn't need it. WTF? :smash:

2) In picture 6, see that spacer under where the soft brake lines attach to the hardlines? Apparently, the lines that I bought were too short, even though I called Camburg to ask what length line was needed when installing their SUA kit and ordered the lines in that length. They're only a couple inches too short, so I'll probably just buy new ones. However, IPOR never communicated in anyway that this issue existed. It's good that they found a solution to make the lines work, but I would have had them source lines the right length or ordered new lines myself if they had called me to tell me about the issue. It's not like there wasn't enough time, since it took them 7 weeks to finish my truck (they told me 2 weeks when I dropped it off).

3) In picture 7, you can see the hack job they did to my exhaust. The original routing would have put it into the spring. Again though, they didn't communicate with me about it. They just did whatever they wanted. If they had told me about the issue, I would have just had them cut the exhaust just after the axle and weld the tip on. As it is, it nearly hits the rear shackle hanger, and it will hit when it that rear exhaust hanger slips out (it always does). Hell that rear exhaust hanger came loose and slipped to the end of the tailpipe when it drove my truck around.

4) When I was talking with the guy that did the work on my truck (Lance was already gone for the day), he instantly started talking shit on my truck saying that it would never do what the parts on it were designed to do, asking why I was building it the way that I was, and how much better your setup is. That's some fucked up shit right there. :bananadead:

5) They didn't install any of the limit strap hardware, but from what they told me, the shock have 1/2-1" of travel left before they bottom out when everything is at full droop. If that's true, then yeah, it's not really needed. However, I had to contact IPOR multiple times asking if they had installed the hardware before they gave me a straight answer.

6) The limit strap hardware and extra axle shock mounts that I provided (but wasn't installed) are rusted to hell and back because they left them in the bed of the truck outside.

7) Their communication sucked. I had to email them anytime I wanted any information about how things were going. However, they were one me like flies on shit to get paid when they sent a partial invoice out. Fuck... They'd email me the invoice after lunch and then call me to get paid right before they closed at 5pm. To go along with the shit communication, when I dropped my truck off I thought my lug key was in the glovebox like usual, but it had been thrown in the box with my tools when I left the mod day at @Mr. Projekt's house a couple days before. I dropped the truck off on a Monday and called Tuesday to tell them where the lug key was because I hadn't mentioned it. I found the lug key that Friday morning while I was finally putting everything away. I took it there later that morning, and the lady working the desk (Nicole) told me that they had pulled the truck around 'the other day' and couldn't find the key. Instead of calling or emailing me, they just sat on it and didn't do anything. Who knows how long they would have waited before they tried getting ahold of me, or if they would have done god knows what to try to get my wheels off without the key.

12. Oct 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    ARCHIVE

ARCHIVE Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, '22 Tundra, '91 Cummins
    2.5" Fox relocation * Hammer hanger * Archive MD springs
    The axle tabs should be rotated way down, there should be 7" min of shock shaft showing. I have 7" on my truck with the std tabs, I'll be going to the deep axle tabs shortly. You're probably riding in the stiff bump zone cause they set the tabs so high.

The bump can should be as high on the frame as possible, they set it really low

13. Oct 13, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Damn man just reading this really irritates me...I’m bummed to see they did similar shit with half ass decisions instead of communicate what they should have done. That whole brace thing...yea wtf man I would have had that installed too. I do have some extra brake lines I never used on my dmz kit if you are looking for some I can sell you mine. They were the same way with communication with me on my truck...never heard shit unless I bothered them and they tried to guilt trip me and hide that they had to work an extra week cause they fucked up the install initially. I’m still convinced I could have had my rear boxed if they knew how to install LT stuff. Never again man, learned my lesson and odds are I will visit dmz when I get out west since he will be driveable. Did you have a nice chat with them about all these discrepancies? Hopefully with your bumps that they showed why they are low. I had everyone roast my install cause my bumps hit 4 inches too early and I lose a lot of up travel until they are fixed cause of iron pig Using existing spacers from my bamf towers because I lost my bed cage spacers. Could have made a simple call, instead used one of the most critical alignment pieces from my old set up. I really have lance shit for that as I asked...how could you have 99% of a kit and decide to use spacers off the kit you know you are removing entirely and not make that call? I don’t care for any of those assholes now.

14. Oct 14, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    So I just got done crawling under the truck and looking things over some more. The passenger side shock has 4.5" of shaft showing, and the driver side shock has 3.75" of shaft showing.

Here's a picture of the axle tab that they did and didn't install. How do you like that pristine condition they returned the unused tabs in?

20181014_130242.jpg
    20181014_130258.jpg

Also, you're totally correct about the shackle leaning backwards past vertical, as you mentioned in your PM last night. I'm going to shoot an email to Camburg to make sure that's correct, and if not see if they can identify what IPOR did wrong.

20181014_125951.jpg

How long are the brake lines?

I haven't talked to IPOR yet. Lance (owner) was gone for the day when I picked up my truck. Now I'm collecting info so I can go in firing on all cylinders when I do talked to him.

3pooches likes this.
  15. Oct 14, 2018 at 11:42 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Man that’s weird about the shock lengths as if anything I wouldfigure the driver side would have more if it leveled when you sat. Good call on getting a hold of burg as man if those hangers are not right then you will toast your bushings pretty fast. If that’s the case I hope ipor makes it right as you paid solely to do thisright. I can check the length and let you know this week.

buyobuyo[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Oct 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    Mr. Projekt

Mr. Projekt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB TRD-OR 4x4 Army Green

Damn dude that really sucks to spend that kind of money other shop and their communication suck so badly

buyobuyo[QUOTED][OP] and Coot83 like this.
  17. Oct 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    3pooches

3pooches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma dcsb Sc Linked, 2014 reg cab locked
    I have learned the hard way several times, that if you want something done right, do it yourself. I don’t know IPOR but there are lots of “shops” that make big promises and say they can do anything, and the results are usually sub par. I hope you get a resolution at no extra expense.

18. Oct 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Yeah. I would have loved to do the work myself, but I don't have space to have the truck torn apart for extended periods. I also don't own or have space for a welder, and it's been a few years since the last time that I did any welding. Hopefully, I can get it straightened out without having to take it to another shop.

LocoLocal and 3pooches[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Oct 14, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    3pooches

3pooches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    VA & WV
    Vehicle:
    15 tacoma dcsb Sc Linked, 2014 reg cab locked
    I know what you mean. That’s a job better done on a lift. It’s just a shame people pass off their incompetence and disregard as professionalism. Did you get alignment specs? I’m interested in seeing what your thrust angle looks like

20. Oct 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    No alignment numbers as they didn't touch the frontend. I need to adjust the coilovers down as it is, so I'll need an alignment once I do that. It drove straight on the ride home.

Coot83 likes this.
To Top