1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

C-Frame does it matter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thecreeper, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    thecreeper

thecreeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm narrowing down my purchase between a Pro4x Crew Cab fully loaded (1 left) to a double cab OFFRD PKG which are a plenty to be found...

Anyway I was passing an auto salvage lot and saw a "newer" Tacoma sitting right there. I should have snapped a pic (maybe i can tonight if its still there). But the Tacoma looked like it was hit in the bed (drivers side) and it looked pretty horrific. I was told this might be one downfall of the Tacoma (from a Toyota salesman) but the chances of getting into an accident like that is hopefully very slim. I will be off roading but I am not a wheeler or anything serious. I go out to the fields that are usually riddled with potholes, mud, dirt roads, gravel, etc... all during the fall and winter (bird hunting). One sales man told me to becareful of tortional twist (???) as he has seem 1 tacoma with a shattered windshield because of this and frame damage to another. I'm not up to speed on this stuff... any thoughts on it?

2. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Titan vs. Tacoma? Get the tacoma...Titan is on the last year build and gets about 15 mpg. Nice big truck, but with 4-5 gas in the near future its your money. Nissan is a bitzoch about warranty stuff too..

3. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    Frontier actually. Totally fully loaded. MSRP is $35k and it was a special order that didn't go through (guy couldn't get financing). So they offered me $8k off. I have to admit I do like all the options it has...

but anyway what about the C-Frame and this tortion twist? Thoughts? After seeing that Tacoma it sent chills through me but again that must have been an extreame accident.

4. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    After seeing some of the tacoma's after wrecks and people have walked away form it, I am not worried about my trucks strength.

tortional twist (???) WTF???

here is my tortional twist
    [​IMG]

5. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:38 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    I HAVE SLAMMED many a things with my truck with no damage, but somehow the electric box in my yard won once :'(

6. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
  7. Jun 8, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i dont think you have anything to worry about. if there was a problem that caused windshields to crack or frames to twist up i think we would have discovered it by now. some of us have put these new models through their paces quite a few times with no complaints....

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Just read that article. Pretty good, but the comments at the bottom are hilarious. People are like "check your facts before you post, the trd sport has an open diff....bla bla....I love Hummers....blah blah blah..."

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    yep the comments are ridiculous, I thought the same thing when I saw that nonsence about the TRD Sport having an open diff

10. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    dont make fun of my post :( the trd sport DOSE has a open diff
    jk
    who ever said that needs to get their facts straight

11. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    thanks, interesting stuff. i never heard of this stuff about tortional twist or windows cracking, etc... no worries.

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    yea i wouldnt worry about it at all.. as said before if there was a problem we would have found it by now.

13. Jun 8, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    well i am trading my frontier in for a tacoma tomorrow...well the paperwork is done, they are just fixing the radio and adding my hitch. what i will say about the frontier is that the frame is bulletproof, its the same frame used on the titan/armada, just shortened, when driving through a ditch or on uneven terrain the frame has little flex. However the C channel tacoma frame does twist more i would not be worried about crash results or anything happening to the frame when offroading. The pro4x is a awesome truck, the m226 rear end is somewhat weak however since its a dana bastard child. check out clubfrontier.org if you want frontier info.

Products Discussed in

To Top