1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cab mount chop question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by noco_taco, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Mar 29, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    noco_taco

noco_taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 White TRD Off-road
    Hi all, quick question, I recently picked up some 33s for my 07 aclb and although I know it’s fairly contested whether or not they will rub, I plan on wheeling these pretty hard so I’m gonna go ahead and just do that chop. I have someone doing it for $150 but they said if I can do the actually cutting myself, they will weld a new plate on for only $80. So my question is if I cut the cab mount, is it safe to drive the truck without that front plate in place for a few days. Only around town, no off-roading and driving as calmly as possible. I’ve heard of some people not even adding a plate at all but I’ve not seen any examples of such. Thanks for your input!

2. Mar 29, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    Yes and wheel it. I know quite a few people who have and wheel them etc. and their's has been cut for a very long time.

whatstcp likes this.
  3. Mar 29, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    noco_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 White TRD Off-road
    Oh sick, so you don’t think it’s worth it to weld in the plate at all?

follow up question would be, and I understand this is usually dependent on the truck but I haven’t installed my lift in the front yet so I’m still at stock height, but if I had the tire shop install the 33s tomorrow I’m sure they’d rub but would it still be driveable to the point of 3-4 miles back home so then I’d have them mounted and only would have to chop the bare minimum off the cab mount?
    Thanks again, appreciate the speedy replies.

4. Mar 29, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    The amount of rub you get will depend on the caster you run. Mostly you can drive it fine, just go slow at full lock. As for welding in the plate, yes, you can drive a bit without it. I would definitely finish the job and weld in the plate. Otherwise the are can get packed with mud and crap. It will become a breeding ground for rust.

Island Cruiser and Taco-Obsessed like this.
  5. Mar 29, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    bassbrick

bassbrick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 DSM Tacoma SR5 Access 4x4
    Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/16 Load E, 3rd Gen Imitation LED Tail Lights, Jones JT2525XL Muffler with axle dump, K&N Cold Air Intake, Ultimate Headlight Upgrade, Baja SAE Fog Lights, 3 inch Toytec lift kit with aal and eibach coils, SPC uca, OVTune Ecu Flash
    agreed about the rust. I never plated mine but I do make sure to wash it out when I wash my truck and so far so good. I did however put a generous amount of underbody coating in that area when I did my cmc.

6. Mar 30, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    4WD FTW

4WD FTW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC LB 4x4
    Icon Suspension Kit Pelfrey Bumper and Skid 4.56 Gears Detroit TruTrac Rear Archive Hammer Hangers Deaver U402 Stage 1
    Welding a plate isn't a bad idea but I would be sure you're done cutting and not going to rub again before doing it. Switching between tire brands sometimes adds a little size and I've had to trim mine more over the years. If you're certain you'll stick with 33's just make sure to cut it back as far as you possibly can the first time with a little extra room to play for different brand tires and suspension compression

7. Mar 30, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It's worth it to weld a plate on. It looks like a hack job if just left open.

Ignore that extra square in there, that's only on 3rd gen tacomas.

[​IMG]

Vs

[​IMG]

Alexely999 likes this.
  8. Apr 1, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    noco_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2007 White TRD Off-road
    Well I got em on... and no rub on the cab mount YAY. just a little on the fenders and with a tiny trim they fit and don’t rub even when flexing a little bit through bumpy corners at stock height, thanks all for the advice, super happy how it looks (Front end is jacked up 2” to simulate how it’ll be when I put the Icons I have on after I finish the rebuild, back has 200lbs in bed and rtt to simulate how it’ll be on our trips )

upload_2020-4-1_14-32-58.jpg

4WD FTW likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top